• Journey's End on PC - Find info here and here. Please report bugs and issues for PC 1.4 and 1.4.1 to Re-Logic here.
  • Journey's End on Mobile - Find info here. Report bugs for Mobile 1.4 to DR Studios at this link and give as much detail as possible.
  • 1.4 will bring many changes to the PC version. We strongly advise making plans to back up your worlds and players prior to updating your game. More details here.
  • Console and Switch - The latest news can be found here. To report a bug, please use this link.

**REPORTED** Missing resource

Mutisk

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
GOG
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Linux Other
Terraria Version
1.4.1.2
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
When closing down the game last night I observed another message about missing resource/file not found error. Tried to get Images/Projectile_179.xnb, but filename that exist is called Images/projectile_179.xnb It threw an exception but did not cause any crash. However I lost the exact log message from accidentally closing my terminal, and client-crashlog.txt did not have it.

This is the second mismatch I'm reporting and I'm wondering if not projectile_618.xnb might be another case too? In either case, maybe make a script to compile a lists of resources from sourcecode and one from on-disk filenames, sort and diff to spot and fix all these kind of mistakes in one go?
 

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Moderator
Re-Logic
Hey there, thanks for this report.

This looks like an issue that causes crashes ONLY on Linux, and only on some Linux distros at that, so its gone relatively unreported (this would easily be less than 1% of the player base).

We just fixed a similar issue with the Solar Pillar's xnb file, but the concerning issue is that trying to change the file's capitalization is not . . . really noticed very well by Steam. So we are concerned that changes to this might not be properly processed on the user's side, even if we fix it.

With that said, I will report this issue, as its an "easy fix", just not one that populates down to the user very well.
 

Mutisk

Terrarian
The situation is only 'saved' by that windows and mac by default use case-insensitive file systems by default. While that is very unlikely to change or differ, it's used sometimes. Strongly recommend not relying on that and fix it systematic so human errors in capitalization don't occur.

I looked into it a bit and it seems Steam is terrible late at addressing capitalization validation. It's possible to work around with code and exception handling, in pseudo-code:
if the lookup for $resource_file fail;
catch file_not_found exception;
issue case-insensitive search for $resource_file in folder, get $new_resource_file;
log warning "using $new_resource_file instead of $resource_filel", and proceed with $new_resource_file.

...however, if that added effort is worth the edge cases of Steam Linux installations that have been affected is well.. *shrug*
 
Last edited:

Mutisk

Terrarian
This looks like an issue that causes crashes ONLY on Linux, and only on some Linux distros at that,
Every Linux distribution I know of defaults to a case-sensitive FS so they should all be affected. Whether it crash or not is dependent on how the game does exception handling, or in other words how badly it 'needs' the resource.
 

Mutisk

Terrarian
Dont know if you'll revisit this, but ran into another one just now:
ReLogic.Content.AssetLoadException: Asset could not be found: "Images/Gore_240" ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "Content/Images/Gore_240.xnb".
 

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Moderator
Re-Logic
Hey, thanks for the heads up, I do read these reports, and I've added the Gore texture to the ticket that included the projectiles you mentioned. :)
 

Mutisk

Terrarian
Hey, thanks for the heads up, I do read these reports, and I've added the Gore texture to the ticket that included the projectiles you mentioned. :)
Just a reminder - this gore_240.xnb file is still uncapitalized with version 1.4.1.2. I just triggered the assertion again.


Upon finding this, I also went to list/check the other uncapitalized xnb resources and got:
Bash:
[[email protected] T1412]$ ls -1 ./Content/Images/[a-z]*
./Content/Images/fade-out.xnb
./Content/Images/gemChain-2.xnb
./Content/Images/gore_240.xnb
./Content/Images/jellyfishBowl1.xnb
./Content/Images/jellyfishBowl2.xnb
./Content/Images/jellyfishBowl3.xnb
./Content/Images/logo_1.xnb
./Content/Images/logo_2.xnb
./Content/Images/logo_3.xnb
./Content/Images/logo_4.xnb
./Content/Images/logo_5.xnb
./Content/Images/logo_6.xnb
./Content/Images/logo_7.xnb
./Content/Images/logo_8.xnb
./Content/Images/projectile_179.xnb
./Content/Images/projectile_618.xnb
...and notice the projectile couple still are the same too. It does not necessarily mean they're unfixed (because their reference could have been adjusted), however they are the odd ones out considering the other 952 projectile xnbs are with capital 'P' in the file name.

Edit: Was originally reported for 1.4.0.5, but still not fixed in 1.4.1.2
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom