Mission Impossible: 1.3 Expert Mode Automated Playthrough

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
Ever since I started doing Terraria engineering, I always wondered whether it was possible to completely automate the game. I have beaten the game normally many times, but I always sought the challenge of automating as much of the game as I could. Once 1.3 was released on PC, that seemed like a daunting task because the Lunar Event was so difficult. Furthermore, the devs made sure in the 1.3 updates that the Moon Lord had to be fought fairly, so automating the Lunar Event seemed impossible, nevermind automating the entire game.

Well, as it turns out, the seemingly impossible just became possible. Here is the first ever AFK playthrough with a brand-new character, starting in a pre-hardmode world and ending with the Moon Lord's defeat:

Rules for Automated Playthrough:

1) The player character must be newly created
2) The world must be in pre-hardmode with no bosses or events completed
3) The player character can be outfitted with pre-hardmode gear at the start so long as the gear doesn't require beating a boss

In the video I begin by equipping a Platinum Armor set and a Warding Obsidian Skull to reach 25 defense, the minimum necessary for the damage prevention machines used throughout the run. I then immediately teleport to the dungeon entrance and activate the Old Man's curse, and at that point the run becomes automated. Midway through the run I click the left mouse button to summon the Golem - clicking the altar is unavoidable. Everything else is completely AFK!

Playthrough Progression:

Below are the necessary (and a few optional) steps to progress from pre-hardmode all the way to the end of the game. The total playtime has so far ranged between 5 and 7 hours, the bulk of which involved waiting for the three mechanical bosses to spawn. Here are the steps:

Defeat Skeletron (necessary for Cultists to spawn at the end)
Defeat the Wall of Flesh (necessary to be able to break a Demon Altar)
Blow up all the Shadow Orbs (to trigger a meteor) and a Beehive Larva (optional)
Defeat Eater of Worlds and Queen Bee (optional)
Wait until a meteor hits at least one Demon Altar (to allow mech bosses to spawn)
Beat The Twins, The Destroyer, and Skeletron Prime (necessary to spawn Plantera Bulb)
Break a Plantera Bulb and beat Plantera (necessary to be able to summon Golem)
Farm for a Power Cell in the temple and summon and defeat The Golem (this will spawn the Cultists)
Kill the Cultists at the dungeon entrance to initiate the Lunar Event and summon the Lunatic Cultist
Defeat the Lunatic Cultist
Defeat the 4 Lunar Pillars
Defeat the Moon Lord

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBRkNfczAtdHdEOWM/view?usp=sharing

To do an automated run, follow these instructions:

1) Create a new character and load the world Omega_Prime
2) Open chest and equip the Platinum Armor set and Obsidian Skull
3) Use the teleporter to teleport to the dungeon entrance
4) Click the Old Man, and enable the curse

At this point the game will be fully automated. You will however have to left click on the Lihzahrd Altar to summon the golem once you reach the Temple (you'll have to wait for a Power Cell to drop first). Note that it might take a long while to get past the mechanical bosses (somewhere around 4-6 hours usually).

Enjoy!

(for schematics and acknowledgements, click on this T-MEC thread: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...ugh-afk-from-pre-hardmode-to-moon-lord.38547/

Ever since I started doing Terraria engineering, I always wondered whether it was possible to completely automate the game. I have beaten the game normally many times, but I always sought the challenge of automating as much of the game as I could. Once 1.3 was released on PC, that seemed like a daunting task because the Lunar Event was so difficult. Furthermore, the devs made sure in the 1.3 updates that the Moon Lord had to be fought fairly, so automating the Lunar Event seemed impossible, nevermind automating the entire game.

Well, as it turns out, the seemingly impossible just became possible. Here is the first ever AFK playthrough with a brand-new character, starting in a pre-hardmode world and ending with the Moon Lord's defeat:

Rules for Automated Playthrough:

1) The player character must be newly created
2) The world must be in pre-hardmode with no bosses or events completed
3) The player character can be outfitted with pre-hardmode gear at the start so long as the gear doesn't require beating a boss

In the video I begin by equipping a Platinum Armor set and a Warding Obsidian Skull to reach 25 defense, the minimum necessary for the damage prevention machines used throughout the run. I then immediately teleport to the dungeon entrance and activate the Old Man's curse, and at that point the run becomes automated. Midway through the run I click the left mouse button to summon the Golem - clicking the altar is unavoidable. Everything else is completely AFK!

Playthrough Progression:

Below are the necessary (and a few optional) steps to progress from pre-hardmode all the way to the end of the game. The total playtime has so far ranged between 5 and 7 hours, the bulk of which involved waiting for the three mechanical bosses to spawn. Here are the steps:

Defeat Skeletron (necessary for Cultists to spawn at the end)
Defeat the Wall of Flesh (necessary to be able to break a Demon Altar)
Blow up all the Shadow Orbs (to trigger a meteor) and a Beehive Larva (optional)
Defeat Eater of Worlds and Queen Bee (optional)
Wait until a meteor hits at least one Demon Altar (to allow mech bosses to spawn)
Beat The Twins, The Destroyer, and Skeletron Prime (necessary to spawn Plantera Bulb)
Break a Plantera Bulb and beat Plantera (necessary to be able to summon Golem)
Farm for a Power Cell in the temple and summon and defeat The Golem (this will spawn the Cultists)
Kill the Cultists at the dungeon entrance to initiate the Lunar Event and summon the Lunatic Cultist
Defeat the Lunatic Cultist
Defeat the 4 Lunar Pillars
Defeat the Moon Lord

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBRkNfczAtdHdEOWM/view?usp=sharing

To do an automated run, follow these instructions:

1) Create a new character and load the world Omega_Prime
2) Open chest and equip the Platinum Armor set and Obsidian Skull
3) Use the teleporter to teleport to the dungeon entrance
4) Click the Old Man, and enable the curse

At this point the game will be fully automated. You will however have to left click on the Lihzahrd Altar to summon the golem once you reach the Temple (you'll have to wait for a Power Cell to drop first). Note that it might take a long while to get past the mechanical bosses (somewhere around 4-6 hours usually).

Enjoy!

(for schematics and acknowledgements, click on this T-MEC thread: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...ugh-afk-from-pre-hardmode-to-moon-lord.38547/

That moon lord knows how to dance...

This is very cool! I never knew you could literally cheese the entirety of Terraria.

This is very cool! I never knew you could literally cheese the entirety of Terraria.
That's the nice thing about this game. There are multiple ways to clear an objective. Rarely will you ever find yourself completely stuck.

Indeed, I was quite surprised that almost the entire game can be automated this way. It's a reflection of how well designed this game is - it allows for multiple approaches without one approach overpowering the others. Using weapons is still faster and better of course if you're just trying to farm bosses, but after the fun of fighting them is gone, one can always turn to building and engineering challenges instead.

It's a shame that since 1.3.0.4 Cultists can no longer spawn during invasions - guess which invasion I always get after orb smashing? Yeah, that pesky goblins, kinda ruin all the fun. `:sigh:

Back
Top Bottom