Resolved [Mobile] Black screen stuck on thorn chakra

Official Terrarian
Im am on android. I try to open Terraria and its on a black screen with a thorn chakra spinning. Has anyone come across this? Is there a fix? @Unit One, have you heard of this? Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
Im am on android. I try to open Terraria and its on a black screen with a thorn chakra spinning. Has anyone come across this? Is there a fix? @Unit One, have you heard of this? Thank you for any help.
Hi @Gamma Sandwich, sorry, I think my alerts derped and I’m just now seeing this.

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the game? It will permanently delete all local saves, so hopefully you’ve got some cloud saves.

I have some cloud saves but they are a little older. Not a big deal, i was hoping to not lose the local saves. Thanks!
Also, could you close this thread. I believe it's resolved as far as we can. Thank you!

Hi, I'm also experiencing this exact same problem on android, just a black screen with the spinning thorn chakram when starting up the game. It just started happening out of the blue. Unfortunately, I don't have any cloud saves :/ Could someone more experienced please explain:

A: Why this just spontaneously happened?
B: How to back up local saves?

or/and

C: How to restore the game from the spinning thorn chakram on a black screen state on startup, to a normally functioning game?

I don't have any issues navigating the file system, or if I need to root my device.
Thanks in advance for any help offered. :happy:

Last edited:
Hi, I'm also experiencing this exact same problem on android, just a black screen with the spinning thorn chakra when starting up the game. It just started happening out of the blue. Unfortunately, I don't have any cloud saves :/ Could someone more experienced please explain:

or/and

C: How to restore the game from the spinning thorn chakra on a black screen state on startup, to a normally functioning game?

I don't have any issues navigating the file system, or if I need to root my device.
Hi @Xeden, sorry to hear your game is doing the black screen. Here’s some more info:

A. Why this just spontaneously happened?
I’m not sure. It could be any number of reasons. Something went wrong with the game and it can’t function properly.

B. How to back up local saves?
Instructions are detailed out here. Although, your game needs to be functioning correctly in order to do this.
Mobile Backup Instructions

C: How to restore the game from the spinning thorn chakra on a black screen state on startup, to a normally functioning game?
Your best bet is to uninstall and reinstall the game. However, you will loss all local saves.

Hi, I'm also experiencing this exact same problem on android, just a black screen with the spinning thorn chakra when starting up the game. It just started happening out of the blue. Unfortunately, I don't have any cloud saves :/ Could someone more experienced please explain:

or/and

Please excuse this double post.

@Xeden, I see that you made a duplicate thread for this. It has been removed as we discourage duplicate topics. I’ve answered your questions here. I’m sorry that you don’t like the answers. If someone has anything else to add, it can be added here.

@Unit One On the contrary! I'm very grateful for the answers :) I was about to ask if someone could delete the other thread. I wasn't sure if this thread had been sort of abandoned because it was marked as resolved. I'll try the mobile backup instructions thank you! :indifferent:

It sucks to have to restart but the reinstall does fix the issue just saving to cloud more often now

It sucks to have to restart but the reinstall does fix the issue just saving to cloud more often now

@Gamma Sandwich Thanks for replying Gamma :) Out of interest I'd like to get to the bottom of what's causing it to happen. As a PC gamer as well who does modding etc, I'm used to digging into file structures inside game folders for various reasons, sometimes to figure out and repair non working games. Only thing is as Android is Linux it would take a little bit more tinkering, but that's half the fun ;) If I can figure out a way to solve an issue like this and share it back to the community then great. :)

Something must be causing the game to stall where it does, in the way we've described, but what?

If it was even possible to just locate the save game files, back them up, and restore those manually to a reinstallation that'd help people too.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I've submitted a bug report for this issue too btw, I couldn't find a link to do so previously, but I'll post here if I recieve any solutions or clues.

I have an app that helps save space and check for junk files and that sort of thing, a file came up and i accepted the delete. The next time I opened Terraria, it was frozen on that screen. Did you happen to clean up any files before yours went down?

Hmm, no I didn't do any clean ups, but I'm pretty sure I did do a system update, maybe some of the same files were affected?

The exact messages I get on my device when starting up the game is... (whilst wifi is active)

"Connecting to Server"

followed shortly by...

"Failed download/install"

All of these appear in the black starup screen with the spinning thorn chakram. Would these provide any clues? Point to any specific issues?

Btw:- Just for the record, the mobile backup instructions mentioned in the fourth post in this thread, only work if you're able to actually start the game and get into the main menu where the backup options are.

Last edited:
The exact messages I get on my device when starting up the game is... (whilst wifi is active)

"Connecting to Server"

followed shortly by...

"Failed download/install"

All of these appear in the black starup screen with the spinning thorn chakram. Would these provide any clues? Point to any specific issues?

Btw:- Just for the record, the mobile backup instructions mentioned in the fourth post in this thread, only work if you're able to actually start the game and get into the main menu where the backup options are.

I'm not sure, my issue didn't have text only the black acreen. I deleted the application and downloaded again. So far it's been working fine. <knock on wood>

I bet it would work if I deleted it and did a reinstallation, but then of course I'd lose the elusive saves :(

The text looks like it might be from the os itself, I replaced the default samsung os with lineageos. It helps to speed up the phone quite a bit, an its updated regularly. I'm thinking maybe something happened during an update? Just a guess tho.

If I try the same thing with no wifi on, I just get a message on that screen saying "Network not available".

I bet it would work if I deleted it and did a reinstallation, but then of course I'd lose the elusive saves :(

The text looks like it might be from the os itself, I replaced the default samsung os with lineageos. It helps to speed up the phone quite a bit, an its updated regularly. I'm thinking maybe something happened during an update? Just a guess tho.

If I try the same thing with no wifi on, I just get a message on that screen saying "Network not available".
Losing the saves isn't the greatest, but not being able to play is worse I think.

True. I have another save on another device, almost back up to where i was on it now, just defeated the 3rd mechanical boss. :)

Reactions:
Well, I faced up and deleted my whole game completely off my device. Including my saves. Did a fresh install, sure enough Terraria started up ok and I was able to play. Played for a while, saved my game then quit out. ....

Then a few days later, I started the game up again to be met with the same spinning green thorn chakram stuck on the black screen. I had played once.

So, as it stands, I currently have a paid for, full version on my mobile, which I can’t play. :sigh: Support, anyone?

Last edited:
Well, I faced up and deleted my whole game completely off my device. Including my saves. Did a fresh install, sure enough Terraria started up ok and I was able to play. Played for a while, saved my game then quit out. ....

Then a few days later, I started the game up again to be met with the same spinning green thorn chakram stuck on the black screen. I had played once.

So, as it stands, I currently have a paid for, full version on my mobile, which I can’t play. :sigh: Support, anyone?

That's terrible. This thread shows resolved so you may want to start another one? And also you may want to submit a bug report to the developers.

Back
Top Bottom