Resolved [Mobile] [iPadOS 1.4.3.2.3] Unable to see local hosted games

xiata

Terrarian
Terraria 1.4.3.2.3 Build 887
iPadOS: 15.5 (4 devices of varying age)

I have been completely unable to see other multiplayer games listed (also hosted on ipads), but able to directly join a host of i join by entering their ip and port.

This is the same network, all devices are running the same latest iPadOS, but i did notice that Terraria lacks a Settings section in the settings app. Normally to be able to find other hosts on the same network, the app needs to ask for network device lookup permission to find local lan games, but Terraria never asked on any of the devices! This includes reinstalling the app, it never asks for that permission, which would explain why i can’t find local hosted games.

Did anyone else get a dialog asking to allow local network devices to be accessed when trying to play multiplayer? Is there somewhere known to trigger it?

Or is this an obvious bug that has been missed?

Terraria 1.4.3.2.3 Build 887
iPadOS: 15.5 (4 devices of varying age)

I have been completely unable to see other multiplayer games listed (also hosted on ipads), but able to directly join a host of i join by entering their ip and port.

This is the same network, all devices are running the same latest iPadOS, but i did notice that Terraria lacks a Settings section in the settings app. Normally to be able to find other hosts on the same network, the app needs to ask for network device lookup permission to find local lan games, but Terraria never asked on any of the devices! This includes reinstalling the app, it never asks for that permission, which would explain why i can’t find local hosted games.

Did anyone else get a dialog asking to allow local network devices to be accessed when trying to play multiplayer? Is there somewhere known to trigger it?

Or is this an obvious bug that has been missed?
Hi @xiata have you doubkechecked the iPad settings? Settings>Privacy>Local Network

Oh my. Wow, the host didn’t have that enabled. I completely forgot that part of settings existed.

Kinda wish Terraria would show a tip to check that when no hosts don’t show up

Oh my. Wow, the host didn’t have that enabled. I completely forgot that part of settings existed.

Kinda wish Terraria would show a tip to check that when no hosts don’t show up
Glad that was it. :)

Im having the same issue just that terraria isnt even showing up in local network settings do you know what to do?
So when you go to Settings>Privacy>Local Network on your iPhone or iPad you don’t see Terraria listed there?

Yup idk what to do
Have you tried hosting a multi-player world on that device yet? The wording in the Settings page says
1663335084005.png

So maybe you need to have the game “request” permission first by starting a local multiplayer-player world.

Have you tried hosting a multi-player world on that device yet? The wording in the Settings page says
View attachment 382985

So maybe you need to have the game “request” permission first by starting a local multiplayer-player world.
I did that and the request never came

Edit: the request randomly came up when booting up the game but now the next problem when im hosting the game its not showing up for my console

Last edited:
I did that and the request never came

Edit: the request randomly came up when booting up the game but now the next problem when im hosting the game its not showing up for my console
Glad the request came through.

When you say “not showing up for my console”, can you show a screenshot?

The session when hosted is not showing up in the "Friends Hosting" section in multiplayer so it just says "Searching for hosted games…"
Couple things to try…
  • Make sure the hosting device is at iOS 15 or higher (sorry, I should’ve mentioned that from the start)
  • Doublecheck that both devices on the same network (same wifi)
  • On the device trying to join maybe enable the Settings>Privacy>Local Network setting
  • Try waiting a loooong time (set a timer for two minutes)
  • On the device trying to join, when you see “searching for hosted games”, hit the Back button, then Play to try again, and do this multiple times (sometimes this triggers the hosted game to show for me)
  • Make sure the two devices are not named the same thing - ex. “Bob’s iPad” and “Bob’s iPad” (this used to be a problem, not sure if it is anymore).
  • Last ditch effort, have the hosting device open a hotspot and have the joining device join the hotspot, then try again.
If none of this works, I’m out of ideas, and it may be something specific to the router that can‘t be troubleshot easily. :)

Couple things to try…
  • Make sure the hosting device is at iOS 15 or higher (sorry, I should’ve mentioned that from the start)
  • Doublecheck that both devices on the same network (same wifi)
  • On the device trying to join maybe enable the Settings>Privacy>Local Network setting
  • Try waiting a loooong time (set a timer for two minutes)
  • On the device trying to join, when you see “searching for hosted games”, hit the Back button, then Play to try again, and do this multiple times (sometimes this triggers the hosted game to show for me)
  • Make sure the two devices are not named the same thing - ex. “Bob’s iPad” and “Bob’s iPad” (this used to be a problem, not sure if it is anymore).
  • Last ditch effort, have the hosting device open a hotspot and have the joining device join the hotspot, then try again.
If none of this works, I’m out of ideas, and it may be something specific to the router that can‘t be troubleshot easily. :)
Ok thank you
EDIT: i tried with another device that isnt mine and it works with that one any idea why? @Unit One

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom