Modded multiplayer on steam

Anhrak

Terrarian
Hello all,

A friend and I have recently picked up Terraria again and have been streaming all of our current adventures together, where we had great fun. Though, slowly the reality is slamming in that in the end it'll be the same old story... so, I came with an idea; Modded Terraria!

But, we have complications. I am unable to portforward (and I do really not like to use Hamachi because of security reasons), and my friend's computer is unable to ánd livestream, ánd host multiplayer, ánd play the game too. This performance demand was divided between us that I would be the person that hosts the game, so he can stream without any performance lacks.

However, when we did a small trial with a stand-alone mod, we couldn't get into a steam multiplayer game. Even though we managed to get the steam overlay in there, we sadly couldn't connect.

This is why I will be asking the following; Is there a way to play modded terraria via Steam Multiplayer? And if yes, what steps do we need to take, and which popular mods are able to be ran through Steam Multiplayer?

You MUST use hamachi and the TMODLOADERSERVER.exe , but even that doesnt work sometimes. NOTHING ELSE WORKS AND WONT WORK

In case you don't know, Hamachi thaws away all the security on that IP Port. That means ANYONE and ANYTHING can access that. I don't want a leak in my network. Also, "must use" hamachi? That seems like BS, because hamachi is a BYPASS. If Hamachi works, then there are other ways to.

That's not a thing for a variety of reasons.
Also, why can you not port forward?

I honestly have no idea. We've tried doing this three times already with different games (Unreal Tournament 2004, Minecraft, and Risk of Rain.) Both three tries all resulted in failure, and we're absolutely clueless what security meassure is preventing people from connecting to the assigned port.

In case you don't know, Hamachi thaws away all the security on that IP Port. That means ANYONE and ANYTHING can access that. I don't want a leak in my network. Also, "must use" hamachi? That seems like BS, because hamachi is a BYPASS. If Hamachi works, then there are other ways to.

I honestly have no idea. We've tried doing this three times already with different games (Unreal Tournament 2004, Minecraft, and Risk of Rain.) Both three tries all resulted in failure, and we're absolutely clueless what security meassure is preventing people from connecting to the assigned port.
Do you have Comcast?

I dont know what that is, so probably no :p
Alright, nevermind. You can just consider it the root of all evil.

Regardless, it is the unfortunate truth that modded multiplayer does not have Steam support. Sorry.

There is a way, Anhrak. By using the already built in Host and Play, you can invite friends to join, set passwords, and it does work with modded. me and a friend of mine are doing a playthough with Tremor and a number of others. this is also compatible with the most recent version of terraria, just get the most recent version of TModloader. *im pretty sure the TModloader is the only good modding option though i may be wrong*. and if you think you may have trouble getting the mods in, or finding mods, thats not to worry because the TModloader has a built in Mod Browser that lets you look through diffrent posted mods, description their creators have set, and downloading them directly to the required file.

If you need help, *IF*, id be willing to help you.

Perhaps instead of Hamachi, you could set up a VPN, perhap using OpenVPN. This is totally untested, mind you, but it should be possible.

(Although, seeing as I haven't tested it, it's entirely possible you'll need port forwarding to get this working too.)

levion was right, me and a friend are doing a playthrough where we just mess around and steam stuff works on it,

There is a way, Anhrak. By using the already built in Host and Play, you can invite friends to join, set passwords, and it does work with modded. me and a friend of mine are doing a playthough with Tremor and a number of others. this is also compatible with the most recent version of terraria, just get the most recent version of TModloader. *im pretty sure the TModloader is the only good modding option though i may be wrong*. and if you think you may have trouble getting the mods in, or finding mods, thats not to worry because the TModloader has a built in Mod Browser that lets you look through diffrent posted mods, description their creators have set, and downloading them directly to the required file.

If you need help, *IF*, id be willing to help you.
When I try host and play it never gets past "starting server...". Do you have a fix for this?

When I try host and play it never gets past "starting server...". Do you have a fix for this?
How long do you let it load? I've had no issues at all. My cousin has had issues on his Mac computer though so maybe it's a porting issue. In which case the best solution would be to get a real computer instead of an overpriced toy made by crApple.

EDIT: Fixed the quote to be the post I'm responding to.

How long do you let it load? I've had no issues at all. My cousin has had issues on his Mac computer though so maybe it's a porting issue. In which case the best solution would be to get a real computer instead of an overpriced toy made by crApple.

EDIT: Fixed the quote to be the post I'm responding to.
I've waited over 7 hours and it didn't work. I have a real computer and i sadly can't get it to work. No matter what, it just stays on the starting server screen. And I have no clue what port forwarding is.

Wherever I try and use host and play to play multiplayer with mods i get this,
(Look at Picture) and whenever I try and use another way it just doesn't let the other person join...
Help

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    4.4 MB · Views: 5,780
Wherever I try and use host and play to play multiplayer with mods i get this,
(Look at Picture) and whenever I try and use another way it just doesn't let the other person join...
Help
Basically you didn't install correctly, you should have "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria\tModLoaderServer.exe" or similar but you don't.

Hello Anhark!
Currently you should have possibility to join via steam. To do so, one of you has to go Main Menu -> Multiplayer -> Host & Play to start the server, and when server is up, other has to go press Join via Steam, then Right Click your name, and press Join Game. But it only works if:
*Both have tModLoader installed
*Both have same Terraria version
*Both have same tModLoader version
*Both have same mods enabled

If your question is already answered, then I'm sorry for bothering you, for I haven't read the thread til' the end. But if somebody knows, how can I host a steam server under my steam account on separate computer(2nd computer, 1st computer will be used for playing to avoid weird desync, that has happened)? I'd be grateful!

Hello Anhark!
Currently you should have possibility to join via steam. To do so, one of you has to go Main Menu -> Multiplayer -> Host & Play to start the server, and when server is up, other has to go press Join via Steam, then Right Click your name, and press Join Game. But it only works if:
*Both have tModLoader installed
*Both have same Terraria version
*Both have same tModLoader version
*Both have same mods enabled

If your question is already answered, then I'm sorry for bothering you, for I haven't read the thread til' the end. But if somebody knows, how can I host a steam server under my steam account on separate computer(2nd computer, 1st computer will be used for playing to avoid weird desync, that has happened)? I'd be grateful!

So we both have to have tmodloader, is there anyway to bring my character with the items i hold to our old server.... because i know everyone in my party isnt going to download n properly install the mod...

Back
Top Bottom