Modding Help Request: how to modify game methods

TerraGuy

Terrarian
I'm new to Terraria modding, but I know C# and programming. I kindly ask for some help. I decompiled Terraria.exe and went through the code, but I can't find some important code sections. I installed tmodLoader and I created few simple mods using Visual Studio 2019 (created new items, buffs etc), they work alright. Yet I can't seem to figure out if I am limited to tmodLoader functionality or I can change and swap the original Terraria classes and methods. My questions:
  • Terraria.exe decompiled: I found the game items and objects IDs under Terraria.ID.ItemID (or BuffID, WallID etc.), but where are definitions of different items? Where can I see the parameters of the in-game items? I found the wiki spreadsheet with this information: blushiemagic/tModLoader but where is it in Terraria.exe?
  • I'd like to modify some of the original Terraria code (methods). How can I do that really? If I write a partial class and use tmodLoader will this effect Terraria original code? Or am I limited only to what tmodLoader offers?
  • I'd like to modify the Signs functionality in Terraria (add pagination, create readable and writeable books). Where is the part of the code related to the Signs? Can't seem to find it. And can I change it using tmodLoader functionality?

I see in Terraria.exe that Sign is a different class than Item or Tile. TModLoader doesn't seem to have ModSign class. Unfortunately. It has ModItem and ModTile classes.

Does that mean I cannot mod a Sign using TModLoader? What can I do?

EDIT: I described the problem fully here: Standalone - [1.3] tModLoader - A Modding API

Last edited:
check out Terraria Example Mod (u can just google it) and study it from there, its not that hard to understand, for me atleast

Back
Top Bottom