Modern Cartoons

Demopan

Plantera
A thread discussing most modern cartoons. By "Modern" I mean 2010's or shows that are still running from the 2000's.

Let's keep it civil. Don't start flame wars, no #90skids or whatever.

I've been liking Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Gumball, Gravity Falls, plus Rick and Morty. I didn't mention Regular Show because I think it's starting to pull an Adventure Time, going more about Modercai's sex life or whatever.

Gravity Falls is excellent, it's really well put together and the characters are great. I'm a big fan of the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra seiries' and am looking forward to Korra's final season. Honorary mention to Nick's TMNT series as well, they've done a great job with that and I'm very excited for season 3 which starts very soon.

I've actually been really enjoying the latest iteration of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I didn't think I'd like it until I watched several episodes, and now I actually wait for new episodes to come out and actively watch them. (Something that doesn't seem like much, but it's probably the only show that's got me hooked at the moment.)

I think Rick and Morty is glorious, as well, but I've never really gotten into Adventure Time or Regular Show. I've watched several episodes, but at times it feels like the exact same show, in terms of how the two "lead" characters interact with each other. (That's just from my perspective though, an outsider looking in.)

Uh...Breadwinners. I passed the show off as something only a little kid would enjoy, but I found myself watching a few episodes. Enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Gumball's pretty solid though, too.

I've actually been really enjoying the latest iteration of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I didn't think I'd like it until I watched several episodes, and now I actually wait for new episodes to come out and actively watch them. (Something that doesn't seem like much, but it's probably the only show that's got me hooked at the moment.)

I was the same, but I gave it a chance and now I'm glad I did. It was the character designs that put me off a bit (the same thing that's putting me off the new movie) but I learned to look past it and enjoy the show for it's positive points.

Adventure Time is the best (I haven't seen any new episodes since the grass sword though). After that would be Gumball and Gravity Falls.
Modern cartoons really seem to be turning for the worse.

basically, here's my take on the three big cartoon networks:
Disney channel: what I don't understand is why the majority of shows on Disney channel are reality sitcoms, but they at least have one good show (gravity falls).
Cartoon network: haven't watched it in a while, but I've heard good things about it.
nickelodeon: no. just no. it's shows are all crappy toilet jokes and look like they were made by toddlers. i'll never watch them again..

The new Tom and Jerry series that started not long ago is actually pretty good. Hopefully people will watch it unlike the new Looney Toon series that died out after like 2 seasons.
I watch Rick and Morty along with Adventure Time other than that.

I have mixed feelings for modern cartoons. Firstly, the eighties and nineties seemed to be a golden age for cartoons, and the twenty-first century features some marvelous 3D features, but modern 2D traditional cartoons aren't what they used to be. With that said, I do like the writing and characters in Adventure Time. The Ice King in particular is a character that, somewhat regrettably, I can relate to on many levels, especially his (lack of) love life, while I find myself appreciating Jake's relaxed attitude and philosophy, and like the super-smart Princess Bubblegum's crazy experiments since I'm a science nerd. Great series, with a very interesting art style that at first put me off, since I prefer the amazing graphics in features like Princess Mononoke. However, Adventure Time, much like the first good "New Style" cartoon The Power Puff Girls, has it's own distinct and effective art style that sets it apart from everything else. Adventure Time is "New Style" at it's very best.

Other honorable mentions are;
Teen Titans GO! (Good mix of Chibi Anime and Newstyle)
Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures (Dr. Buttocks, rofl)

Last edited:
Gravity Falls and Adventure Time are the only shows of interest. Apart from that it's usually pretty bad stuff aimed at 5 year olds.

You should try checking out Steven Universe. If you like those two shows, it would fit pretty well for you I think. Trust me, it's not like other shows... and how CN advertised it at first made it look otherwise, but it's very good.

I love Gumball's artystlye,
Steven Universe's story
and Adventure Time's Concept.

I certainly like those shows. Gumball, maybe the least out of the three, but I still watch it. Adenture Time is still a show I like, but it kind of has taken a serious tone, and not really the good kind. Steven is still going strong. I like all three shows in a way though.

I liked the first season of adventure time. After that it got stupidly serious. I liked the regular show but have only seen the first season, and according to my siblings the recent burst of dream works spinoffs are rather good, but I haven't watched them, especially not how to train your dragon as I read the books before the film and I was absolutely disappointed. They appear to have read the book upside down...

Gumball and Adventure Time, as well as Total Drama Island and Action, are the main modern cartoons that I watch if I were to watch cartoons nowadays, while I hate Regular Show. I don't watch much in general.
Modern cartoons on Cartoon Network are more or less the same quality nowadays as what you would see back in the 80s or 90s, as the two eras had their fair share of bad cartoons and good cartoons. For every flop there is today, there was another flop back then. Cow and Chicken was really odd and downright dumb at times; much like Regular Show, while the action shows, aside from anime (eg. Dragon Ball Z), were either rarely shown or put at a late timeslot much like now. The two eras also have at least one legit well-written show (Powerpuff Girls compared to Adventure Time). The difference between the two periods is that I, and many others (including haters), grew out of cartoons during that period.
I can't say the same for Disney or Nickelodian, as I grew out from them, but at around the time I grew out of Disney; the channel was becoming less cartoon and in general was becoming geared towards the "tween" crowd with live action shows like Suite Life of Zach and Cody and Hannah Montana.

I really enjoy Adventure Time & Bravest Warriors, very good shows - also enjoy reading the graphic novels they churn out.

Only other cartoon I can think of that I watch alot thats more modern is Archer. [Not for children!] Enjoying it alot on netflix :)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1486217/

I guess the rest is all classed as Anime and doesnt count on this thread :p

Back
Top Bottom