Hot Topic Will Console/Mobile Terraria get MODS or TEXTURE PACKS?

Yes but they can get mods in the future right like when they get the money because terraria and all the other games are popular so once they get the money they can get around that stuff

Yes but they can get mods in the future right like when they get the money because terraria and all the other games are popular so once they get the money they can get around that stuff
The devs have said official PC mod support won't be a thing, because TModloader for PC is advanced enough that they don't think they could come up with a replacement. So even if they had enough money they might not do it, because it would mean they would have to replace TModloader on PC.

A lot of wishful thinking in this thread. Frankly It's getting a bit sad.

There will never be mods in Terraria on console (the way tML do things) for one simple reason; the console manufacturers will never allow it.

Why you ask? tML mods modifies Terraria's code directly, giving the mod developers the power to do absolutely anything. If they wish to :red: up your computer, they can.

The console manufacturers will never allow unauthorized code (mods) to run on their consoles. If they do it's only a matter of time before hackers will break the security systems. If that happens, the platform is dead. Game developers will stop making games for that platform. It has already happened before. Nintendo no longer makes the 3DS because of this.

But what about Bethesda? Bethesda do mods completely differently. First, mods run in a sandbox environment. Second, the only coding allowed requires using a scripting language with very limited capabilities. It can't be used to break out of the sandbox. Third, Sony doesn't allow mods to use custom models/textures (as that could be used to inject and run unauthorized code). MS do allow this, probably because they have more confidence in their security measures.

But what about Minecraft? MS gets to break their own rules. Also, everything is authorized by them as they are the developer.

For anyone stopping by, I combined the recent “mods on console?” threads into one thread. We really didn’t need multiple.
Maybe it would be a good idea to make this thread a sticky so it doesn't get buried. There are going to be a lot of console players having questions about this. Might as well try to keep everything in one place.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make this thread a sticky so it doesn't get buried. There are going to be a lot of console players having questions about this. Might as well try to keep everything in one place.
That’s a good idea r4, I’m going to see how things go. I’d rather it remain free and unpinned, but it might be something that’s inevitable.

Title: Mods for Console Terarria When?
Me: I think I saw somewhere that they were going to include mods for console post-Journey's End, like platform compatibility.

Okay I get it that it’s been talked about but ps4 does have mods... that’s a given.
Skyrim has mods... GTA has mods. I want to fight something els after the moon lord.. a real challenge. I’ve seen some crazy bosses with amazing loot on YouTube.. 😭. And I’m not playing it on pc. I would literally be willing to pay for the game all over just to experience this. Also, with most of the new updates I see a lot of what I think people could care less about. Themes, cloths etc. we want bosses, actual loot weapons, the juicy parts to the game.

ps. Terraria can can use the same engine, blacks just with brand new biomes and bosses. I’ve seen what the cancelled T2 would have looked like and none of that was necessary to me. Keep the original formula. Just my thoughts.

Okay I get it that it’s been talked about but ps4 does have mods... that’s a given.
Skyrim has mods... GTA has mods. I want to fight something els after the moon lord.. a real challenge. I’ve seen some crazy bosses with amazing loot on YouTube.. 😭. And I’m not playing it on pc. I would literally be willing to pay for the game all over just to experience this. Also, with most of the new updates I see a lot of what I think people could care less about. Themes, cloths etc. we want bosses, actual loot weapons, the juicy parts to the game.

ps. Terraria can can use the same engine, blacks just with brand new biomes and bosses. I’ve seen what the cancelled T2 would have looked like and none of that was necessary to me. Keep the original formula. Just my thoughts.
Hi @Addps4modbosses, I moved your post here to an already existing thread for the same topic. You can browse through the other posts here and see what other have to say. At this time, there's no known plans to add mods to consoles.

It's very unlikely that it'll come to consoles. Mods are not supported on consoles 99% of the time. And when it is, it's for AAA games, games studios who made those games are able to "go through the rules" and add mod support. But even then, most AAA games on consoles don't have mod support.

There's also some technical issues. Terraria on PC is created using the XNA Framework. On consoles, Terraria is created using Unity. That's two really different engines (XNA isn't even really an engine.). So, it's nowhere as simple as "the mod exists, they just have to copy the data and textures into the game and done". No, it's FAR from being that simple.

Consoles manufacturers don't like mods. They barely allow it for AAA games (they don't even allow all mods), and they straight-up refuse for indie games.

About mobile, while I'm not sure what engine Terraria Mobile is using, I know it uses a different codebase. So, it's not that simple here either. Google, Apple and Amazon don't like this kind of things, too.

Also, keep in mind that mods will decrease stability of the game (actually, you need a really decent PC if you want to use mods.). Given the performance issues on consoles (especially Switch), plus the fact that consoles are supposed to keep decent performances with splitscreen... I think mods will run pretty badly on it.

With all those issues combined, I think it's safer to assume that Terraria, on consoles and mobile, will not have mod support.

σαν να πάρω έναν υπολογιστή απλώς για να χρησιμοποιήσω ένα mod

They should.... I mean it would be fair for the console players.... All they would have to do is copy the coding and textures into the DLC database.
Well (if you want to be technical) I'm pretty sure console and PC terraria don't use the same code, so just taking everything from one and adding it to the other wouldn't actually do anything (most likely) plus mod support is not likely because console companies don't exactly like when people mess with the code of a game.

Back
Top Bottom