Monster spawn distances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are right on the edge of the map, you can watch as monsters spawn about a half-screen away from you.
Never tried this with Santa-NK1 or Everscream though.

You can also use a sniper scope/binoculars/rifle scope/sniper rifle and see enemies spawn/despawn.

Basically, they spawn pretty damn close. And if the spawns are getting clogged up, it means there are holes that need to be filled somewhere nearby.

Boss spawns seem to be noticeably different than normal mob spawns. According to what I've been testing, it seems that their spawn radius has a larger maximum, but I'm not entirely sure if they have a larger or smaller minimum spawn radius.

Boss spawns seem to be noticeably different than normal mob spawns. According to what I've been testing, it seems that their spawn radius has a larger maximum, but I'm not entirely sure if they have a larger or smaller minimum spawn radius.
I've noticed this particularly with King Slime, he seems to always spawn a really long way away from me and, if he gets stuck, he will despawn if I go the wrong direction! I still haven't gotten his trophy. :(

What's the closest monsters can spawn to the player? Namely the Santa-NK1 and the Everscream?

Vertically, from my own farm builds, the minimum number of blocks is 36 blocks below where the player is standing. Raising the spawn surface to 35 blocks away from the player stops the spawns.

The size of Santa-NK1 and Everscream doesn't affect spawns, since at 35 blocks no mobs spawn while at 36 all mobs spawn. In fact, I can see the sub-bosses and bosses spawning on screen.

I've noticed this particularly with King Slime, he seems to always spawn a really long way away from me and, if he gets stuck, he will despawn if I go the wrong direction! I still haven't gotten his trophy. :(

This boss puzzles me. I've summoned King Slime in places where spawn areas have been blocked off over long distances, and yet I sometimes cannot find this boss even after traveling over big distances. Either the spawn range is huge, or the boss never actually spawns, or "falls" through the map (I've had smaller spawns fall off maps in some of my farms before, particularly if they teleport to a space where they don't fit).

Well if it helps, I spawned King Slime in a 2x3 hole.

9c3022a5ad.png

Also, from what I've gathered, he seems to spawn up to nearly [or around] 1 1/2 screens away [1920x1080 res] using the Slime Crown. Any further and it wont work. Not entire sure about his natural spawn, can't test that.

Another thing, as with most other mobs, if they clip through solid block, they'll start sinking down until they reach empty space. In the aboe pic, not sure why he wasn't sinking though. He did eventually sink when I poked him a couple times [and he shrunk too, so that might also be a factor]

The sinking is usually related to collisions failing, altho I don't know what causes it in this specific case. Also as most likelly mentioned in the past, all NPCs need at least a 2x3 hole to spawn.

Vertically, from my own farm builds, the minimum number of blocks is 36 blocks below where the player is standing. Raising the spawn surface to 35 blocks away from the player stops the spawns.

The size of Santa-NK1 and Everscream doesn't affect spawns, since at 35 blocks no mobs spawn while at 36 all mobs spawn. In fact, I can see the sub-bosses and bosses spawning on screen.

This boss puzzles me. I've summoned King Slime in places where spawn areas have been blocked off over long distances, and yet I sometimes cannot find this boss even after traveling over big distances. Either the spawn range is huge, or the boss never actually spawns, or "falls" through the map (I've had smaller spawns fall off maps in some of my farms before, particularly if they teleport to a space where they don't fit).
So they can even spawn on a single block?

So they can even spawn on a single block?

I can say with certainty that yes, they can. When I was working on my Frost Moon arena I had a bottom spawn surface, but I also had a bird engine to the side of the platform where I stood. To prevent spawns on top of the bird engine I poured lava there, but I still needed to use single blocks at both ends to prevent lava from escaping. I ended up with mob spawns not only from the spawn surface below, but also from that single block at the edge of the lava (this included Santa-NK1 spawns and Ice Queen spawns).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom