tModLoader Monster Tamer Mod

Merderan

Terrarian
Monster Tamer Mod allows you to capture monsters by using a 'Taming Net'.

1) Craft a wooden taming net at work bench with 10 woods.

wooden_taming_net.png

2) Find a monster.

3) Decrease its HP below 10%.

hit.png

4) Hit with the taming net. You will catch it if you are lucky.

you_captured.png

To craft a better taming net: Wood (8) + Any Bar (8) at Anvil

tin.png

When you hit a monster with a taming net, you learn if you can catch it or not.

A captured monster becomes an item in your inventory in the shape of a spell tome.

green_slime_item.png

You can summon the monster by using the item. The summon duration is 5 minute.

summon_duration.png

You can extend the duration by re-using the item (if you had more than one).

You can unsummon monsters by removing the corresponding buffs at top left corner (by right-clicking on them).

Each summoned monster occupies 1 minion slot.

You can summon a monster multiple times.

summons.png

Zombie
Green Slime
Blue Slime
Ice Slime
Sand Slime
Jungle Slime
Demon Eye
Hornet
Blood Crawler
Jungle Creeper
Wall Creeper

1.2:

- Capturing monsters is easier now.
• Attack speed and damage of taming nets are increased.
• Holding a taming net prevents summons to do killing blow.

- Hornet is now tamable. (Note: Currently holding a taming net does not prevent a hornet to kill enemies.)
- Spiders are now tamable.

1.1:

- Summon duration increased to 5 minute from 1 minute.
- Demon Eye is now tamable.

Attachments

• MonsterTamerMod_v1.0.zip
    33.6 KB · Views: 265
  • MonsterTamerMod_v1.1.zip
    405.4 KB · Views: 232
  • MonsterTamerMod_v1.2.zip
    309.1 KB · Views: 514
Last edited:
this sounds interesting and sort of nostalgic (for I am the Pokemon fan type-o guy)
If this were to be extended all the way to end-game it would make for an amazing new spin to summoners, it could be a new class altogether sort of like the Fishing class from Unusacies' Battle Rods!
I commend your little yet potential-filled mod!

That sounds really cool! What is the current list of tamable mobs?

Thank you! Currently you can only capture slimes and zombies (surface level). But I'm planning to add more later. (bat, spider, hoplite...)
[doublepost=1529963702,1529963476][/doublepost]
this sounds interesting and sort of nostalgic (for I am the Pokemon fan type-o guy)
If this were to be extended all the way to end-game it would make for an amazing new spin to summoners, it could be a new class altogether sort of like the Fishing class from Unusacies' Battle Rods!
I commend your little yet potential-filled mod!

Thanks! Yes, I may extend to the end-game, depending on the popularity of the mod.
[doublepost=1529963901][/doublepost]
This looks like a neat mod. I can't wait to use it.

Let me know if you encounter any bug! ^^

I've been wanting a mod literally exactly like this since tmodloader first came out. Thank you so much I can't wait to see what this mod turns into, and I hope you do plan on extending to end game.

I really like the idea of capturing enemies to resummon, but the execution is incredibly clunky. If you only have to capture one monster to summon a copy that lasts forever, it's finicky, but fair. I'd be fine doing that (and honestly would have already installed your mod). If you have to keep reducing monsters to 10%, then trying to net them until you're finally successful in catching them over and over and over again, only to summon minions with a very brief duration, the mechanics are going to be so annoying and unfun that I can't imagine anyone actually doing it.

Added to that, your temporary minions aren't exactly going to play along with that strategy. Slimes and zombies aren't going to use a copper pickaxe or whatever to plink an enemy down to 10% life, then leave it alone so you have time to capture it. Your minions are just going to kill everything until they very quickly disappear, leaving you completely minionless all over again. Then you're back to pickaxe slapping and netting for more temporary minions.

The summon item needs to be permanent. I'd be fine even if it took more work, like capturing five zombies, crafting an experimenting table, and using the stack of captured zombies there to make the summoning item. That would be useful and far less clunky and annoying for early game summoners.

Keep in mind that your mod is competing with other early game options like the Joostmod's Ember staves, Thorium's Butterfly Staff, and a host of others from the countless mods that help early game summoners. The clunkier you make it, the more likely people are to simply craft, fish, or farm one of the other early game summoning items instead.

I really like the idea of capturing enemies to resummon, but the execution is incredibly clunky. If you only have to capture one monster to summon a copy that lasts forever, it's finicky, but fair. I'd be fine doing that (and honestly would have already installed your mod). If you have to keep reducing monsters to 10%, then trying to net them until you're finally successful in catching them over and over and over again, only to summon minions with a very brief duration, the mechanics are going to be so annoying and unfun that I can't imagine anyone actually doing it.

That's a good point. Some of my friends also suggest me to extend the summon duration, I'm planning to increase the duration from 1 minute to 5 minutes like a potion. Also, killing an enemy will reset the duration so that the summons will stay until the combat is over. However, I think increasing the duration too much may lessen the fun of collecting monsters.

The summon item needs to be permanent. I'd be fine even if it took more work, like capturing five zombies, crafting an experimenting table, and using the stack of captured zombies there to make the summoning item. That would be useful and far less clunky and annoying for early game summoners.

Therefore, I don't like the idea of permanent summons, it contradicts the meaning of this mod.

Added to that, your temporary minions aren't exactly going to play along with that strategy. Slimes and zombies aren't going to use a copper pickaxe or whatever to plink an enemy down to 10% life, then leave it alone so you have time to capture it. Your minions are just going to kill everything until they very quickly disappear, leaving you completely minionless all over again. Then you're back to pickaxe slapping and netting for more temporary minions.

Yeah, I also had trouble while testing. I will prevent summons to attack when enemy's HP is below 10%.

Keep in mind that your mod is competing with other early game options like the Joostmod's Ember staves, Thorium's Butterfly Staff, and a host of others from the countless mods that help early game summoners. The clunkier you make it, the more likely people are to simply craft, fish, or farm one of the other early game summoning items instead.

Yes you are right. I will try to balance the grinding and fun. Thank you very much for your constructive criticism!

This is a really nice mod, thanks for sharing it =)
I hope to be able to catch a Werewolf someday!
Having the ability to catch any non-boss Monster would be pretty handy!

A question: Can you add support for some mods? Like 'Calamity Mod' or 'W1K's Mod Redux'? Imagine flying around as a shadow dragon with another shadow dragon? A dream coming true! <3

Last edited:
This is a really nice mod, thanks for sharing it =)
I hope to be able to catch a Werewolf someday!
Having the ability to catch any non-boss Monster would be pretty handy!

A question: Can you add support for some mods? Like 'Calamity Mod' or 'W1K's Mod Redux'? Imagine flying around as a shadow dragon with another shadow dragon? A dream coming true! <3

Hmm, interesting idea. It is possible if I can get permission from the modders. Thank you for the suggestion!

Maybe have the summoning item be infinite but when you summon your monster and after the buff ends it has to recharge for a while before using that monster again? Also make it so that your captured monsters won't attack another monster after it has 10% hp only if you have a monster capturing net selected.

Maybe have the summoning item be infinite but when you summon your monster and after the buff ends it has to recharge for a while before using that monster again? Also make it so that your captured monsters won't attack another monster after it has 10% hp only if you have a monster capturing net selected.

With the 1.2 update, I added the feature that prevents summons to do killing blow when a taming net is held. Currently, I do not plan to change the summon mechanics, but when I do I will consider the feedback. Thank you for your comment!

Having other capture nets would be interesting. Maybe Hard-Mode nets? So you can catch other Monsters? And, like a post Moon-Lord net to finally being able to capture strong Monsters? Just a thought =)

Please make post-endgame nets for bosses

Having other capture nets would be interesting. Maybe Hard-Mode nets? So you can catch other Monsters? And, like a post Moon-Lord net to finally being able to capture strong Monsters? Just a thought =)

Wow, that's a great idea. But my first priority is to increase the number of tamable monsters. However it's a feature that I will try to add for sure. Thanks for the idea!

Ok we have some issue for capture monster (MP) but i'll make a list :
Zombie : work
Green Slime : can't capture
Blue Slime : can't capture
Ice Slime : can't capture
Sand Slime : can't capture
Jungle Slime : can't capture
Demon Eye : can't capture
Hornet : can't capture
Blood Crawler : can't capture
Jungle Creeper : can't capture
Wall Creeper : can't capture

(ofc for no-tested monster i didnt write anything next the name for now but will update while testing).

It's with gold bugnet, also we have thorium mod.
If you need more infos feel free to ask me.

Also suggestion : can you make permanent speel book (no consumable) , with a recipe why not like for example 25 zombie spellbook (consomable) => 1 zombie spell book (summon weapon) ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom