NPCs & Enemies Monster taming A whole new mechanic

Is this good?

• Total voters
If taming large monsters won't give you the ability to ride them and just get them as a pet, then pet items would be useless.

If taming large monsters won't give you the ability to ride them and just get them as a pet, then pet items would be useless.

Pets are useless as the game stands, so....

This seems like a fine idea, though if the pets were still pets, but you could ride some... that would mess up a lot of stuff. Right now there's pets, and mounts, there's no mount that stays around until you use it, and there's no pet that lets you ride it, I'm not sure how that would work out or if it ever would. I do like the idea of having pets based on enemies, to some extent, there would have to be a decent difference between the pet and the enemy, that way there's no confusion. Perhaps you could get the pet item after killing a set amount, like 1,000? It would be similar to banners, but not quite as common.

As for mounts, we already have a bee mount, and a turtle mount, and a slime mount, and a basilisk mount, also a pigron mount, and we can't forget the scutlix mount, so adding more enemies as mounts wouldn't be so far fetched. These items drop from mobs, bosses, and fishing, so there are quite a few ways to add them in. For example, the Eater of Worlds would drop the worm mount (though I'm not sure those would work out, they would be cool....), and they could do damage like some of the others. But as I said before, they would most likely just be a mount item, not a pet-mount hybrid. Actually, now that I think of it, the worm mount could just travel quickly on ground, with the player a bit in the ground, and it wouldn't need to jump over walls as long as they were at least so many blocks thick and only so tall, and also it can jump, maybe five blocks.

And lastly the boss pets... slash mounts. I would say a solid no to this, just because of how weird it would be, not to mention causing heart attacks all over. The closest I would go is something like the Bone key, a tiny boss following you around announcing how great you are. And if it was to be that you could only get whatever it is after killing the next boss you'd never get anything from Moon Lord, it would be kinda cool to have a mini Moon Lord following you around.... Perhaps it would be an expert mode item, but overall I don't think they'd work as mounts (I don't think it would fit in the game well) and they could be pets, but only like the Bone key (which is actually a baby Skeletron head anyways).

I hope I didn't totally misunderstand your OP, I tried reading everything carefully.

This seems like a fine idea, though if the pets were still pets, but you could ride some... that would mess up a lot of stuff. Right now there's pets, and mounts, there's no mount that stays around until you use it, and there's no pet that lets you ride it, I'm not sure how that would work out or if it ever would. I do like the idea of having pets based on enemies, to some extent, there would have to be a decent difference between the pet and the enemy, that way there's no confusion. Perhaps you could get the pet item after killing a set amount, like 1,000? It would be similar to banners, but not quite as common.

As for mounts, we already have a bee mount, and a turtle mount, and a slime mount, and a basilisk mount, also a pigron mount, and we can't forget the scutlix mount, so adding more enemies as mounts wouldn't be so far fetched. These items drop from mobs, bosses, and fishing, so there are quite a few ways to add them in. For example, the Eater of Worlds would drop the worm mount (though I'm not sure those would work out, they would be cool....), and they could do damage like some of the others. But as I said before, they would most likely just be a mount item, not a pet-mount hybrid. Actually, now that I think of it, the worm mount could just travel quickly on ground, with the player a bit in the ground, and it wouldn't need to jump over walls as long as they were at least so many blocks thick and only so tall, and also it can jump, maybe five blocks.

And lastly the boss pets... slash mounts. I would say a solid no to this, just because of how weird it would be, not to mention causing heart attacks all over. The closest I would go is something like the Bone key, a tiny boss following you around announcing how great you are. And if it was to be that you could only get whatever it is after killing the next boss you'd never get anything from Moon Lord, it would be kinda cool to have a mini Moon Lord following you around.... Perhaps it would be an expert mode item, but overall I don't think they'd work as mounts (I don't think it would fit in the game well) and they could be pets, but only like the Bone key (which is actually a baby Skeletron head anyways).

I hope I didn't totally misunderstand your OP, I tried reading everything carefully.

I agree, but if monsters were to be tamed in a world, then they wouldn't appear in the other worlds you create.
The only reason why we're able to transfer and use mounts (or the same mounts) in multiple worlds is because items can be used in multiple worlds, so if there were no mount items, the mounts would only be saved on one world and not multiple worlds, or let's say you want a collection of mounts, you can only put one in your inventory slot, but what about the other mounts?

I agree, but if monsters were to be tamed in a world, then they wouldn't appear in the other worlds you create.
The only reason why we're able to transfer and use mounts (or the same mounts) in multiple worlds is because items can be used in multiple worlds, so if there were no mount items, the mounts would only be saved on one world and not multiple worlds, or let's say you want a collection of mounts, you can only put one in your inventory slot, but what about the other mounts?
uhh..... take the saddle off the mob and put it on another mob? or just put the saddle on an item frame?

Have to agree with Lord Garak on this one. We kind of already have this in the form of minion summons and mounts - most of which are based on existing enemies - and are acquire either directly as a drop or indirectly as crafted from drops. All which have altered mechanics so they are suitable for player use.

Uhh..... just tame the mobs you need?
or they can add a way to transport tamed pets.
[doublepost=1507300574,1507300550][/doublepost]
And have stat increase? ADDED
One of the reasons Terraria is really fun is because of it's bosses and their drops, most players beat a boss a multiple time to get a specific drop, and a lot of bosses' drops are minions, mounts, and pets. Your idea is great ~:D, but it wouldn't really fit Terraria, if taming mobs were to be added then Terraria would be somewhat like Ark: Survival Evolved.
[doublepost=1507339715][/doublepost]
One of the reasons Terraria is really fun is because of it's bosses and their drops, most players beat a boss a multiple time to get a specific drop, and a lot of bosses' drops are minions, mounts, and pets. Your idea is great ~:D, but it wouldn't really fit Terraria, if taming mobs were to be added then Terraria would be somewhat like Ark: Survival Evolved.
That's what I think at least.

[doublepost=1507339715][/doublepost]
That's what I think at least.
Have to agree with Lord Garak on this one. We kind of already have this in the form of minion summons and mounts - most of which are based on existing enemies - and are acquire either directly as a drop or indirectly as crafted from drops. All which have altered mechanics so they are suitable for player use.
I honestly feel like this should be a mod more than an official overhaul now lol.
[doublepost=1507392159,1507391689][/doublepost]

Boss mounts are rare drops, boss pets are extremely rare. moonlord is way too massive to be a pet.
They will assist you on fighting the next bosses.
Pet mounts are rare drops from an enemy, there's already a stamina feature.
Again, Tamed enemies and mounts are VERY different.
[doublepost=1507392209][/doublepost]
grind for the saddle?
also, most giant monsters are very useful in combat.

I honestly feel like this should be a mod more than an official overhaul now lol.
[doublepost=1507392159,1507391689][/doublepost]

Boss mounts are rare drops, boss pets are extremely rare. moonlord is way too massive to be a pet.
They will assist you on fighting the next bosses.
Pet mounts are rare drops from an enemy, there's already a stamina feature.
Again, Tamed enemies and mounts are VERY different.
[doublepost=1507392209][/doublepost]
grind for the saddle?
also, most giant monsters are very useful in combat.
I completely agree this idea would make an amazing mod.

Also: please do not Select NO unless you have a reasonable way to dispute this idea.

i wish there is a way to side with the enemies of terraria.... i mean, some enemies have amazing skills (red devil, wyvern, bosses. Etc) so who wouldn't want to see eye of cthulu vs eater of worlds right?.

DO NOT POST COMMENTS SUCH AS: BOO BAD IDEA EAT AN APPLE, YOU STOOPID AND I STILL THINK 9+10=21 Do post: Needs work.(Idea)

1, old rpg style taming- using a certain item or killing enough of the enemies to have an enemie as a pet.
2, factions- you get to choose a class (crimson, corruption, jungle etc.) and the enemies in that biome will protect you.
3, befriending- every time you kill an enemie it will have a chance to become a pet (bosses don't work until the next boss in the progression is defeated)

Keeping a tamed enemy is simple. Build a house using the blocks found in it's biome(example would be a cave of webs for a wall creeper) and a boss trophy for bosses.

Enemies you tame will respawn in their corresponding houses :D

These probably wont be added right now. Im hoping this will be added on 1.5 xD when they run out of bosses.
worth a shot tho.

Riding enemies will cost a corresponding saddle. Which is a rare drop from the enemy.

Certain mobs will have special effects- obviously flying and worm enemies would make amazing mounts.

Enemies that shoot would make amazing guards and boss assistants.

Bosses are great. (Yep.)

Woop woop

Due to some criticism i have decided to add these complementary ideas shown below :D
enemies smaller than the player can not be ridden.
Stamina feature- the larger the monster is, the more it can fly- a harpy would fly WAY less than a wyvern would.

Contracting: when you kill a boss there is a very small chance of it respawning as an npc (in the form of a human) once you made a house for said boss. (Example: a house for the eater of world a giant tunnel in the corruption made from corruption block and at least 10 corruption furniture.) You have to complete a quest from it to have the boss become a friend. (bosses take 10 days to respawn)
(Example: the eater of worlds would request 99 demonite bars, 20 shadow scales, 5 worm foods and 10 deathweed/1 shadow orb.)

Ideas from players :D :
Pets can gain new abilities, the player can choose what stat to increase and what skills to use like ranged, melee, debuff, etc. You can summon and unsummon your pet to fight other players' pets or wild monsters. For bats for example, you can get echolocation and sense enemies within 20 blocks radius and it increases as ur bat evolves. (Example: Giant turtle can hide in their shell. shell time increases per level.) You can fuse monsters together to get a hybrid monster like unicorn plus goblin warrior becomes wartuarian. (FlashEx)
There could be tournaments where monsters are pitted against each other and there will be strengths and weakness for different elements and types. (Example: imps would have an advantage over moss hornets for obvious reasons.) (FlashEx)
Pets can pickup and use items. (FlashEx)
Your turning this into pokemon

Back
Top Bottom