Other Moon extension

Jack Maro

Terrarian
Hi! I'm really looking forward to the "journey's end" release.

Is it possible that you could expand the game by making a portal to the moon, after the players have defeated the Moon Lord boss?
I think it would add a lot to explore, just like hard-mode (post wall of flesh) and it would make great sense in terms of post-Moon Lord gameplay.

I've heard that "journey's end" will be the last release because of many things, but especially since the game was reaching a code limit or something like that?
Which is why I don't think you'll add it (especially since Terraria has always taken place in the same world) because it will be a too big extension to the game.
I don't understand the game size problem though... won't it just require a stronger PC?

It would be cool though ;)

I am unsure how this would be accomplished, as terraria wasn't designed for multiple instances in the same world.

However, that doesn't mean that you couldn't theoretically make it a new world generation type that is only unlocked once moon lord is defeated… Maybe it could function as a sort of "building only" gamemode, being very barren, but nothing bothers you.

Some kind of moon dungeon or portal in space would be good! Not sure how that could be achieved, especially on small worlds. Nonetheless, a space expansion would be great.

I've heard that "journey's end" will be the last release because of many things, but especially since the game was reaching a code limit or something like that?
Which is why I don't think you'll add it (especially since Terraria has always taken place in the same world) because it will be a too big extension to the game.
I don't understand the game size problem though... won't it just require a stronger PC?
I'm not a developer of Terraria, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Terraria is limited by the architecture (32 bit) it uses, so only 4 GB RAM can be used. This isn't normally a problem with regular gameplay but does impact modders from time to time. It's also limited by the framework (XNA) which was discontinued years ago and is no longer updated. Those are two hard limits impacting the game.
Within the engine limits, Terraria has almost 10 years of code that's gone into it. Code that may be inefficient, buggy or simply never intended for other purposes. While these could be fixed given sufficient time and money, the question is if it would be worth it after so long. Better that a "Terraria 2" be created with a new engine, jettisoning any cruft and supporting the features Terraria 1 might not.

Some kind of moon dungeon or portal in space would be good! Not sure how that could be achieved, especially on small worlds. Nonetheless, a space expansion would be great.

I'm not a developer of Terraria, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Terraria is limited by the architecture (32 bit) it uses, so only 4 GB RAM can be used. This isn't normally a problem with regular gameplay but does impact modders from time to time. It's also limited by the framework (XNA) which was discontinued years ago and is no longer updated. Those are two hard limits impacting the game.
Within the engine limits, Terraria has almost 10 years of code that's gone into it. Code that may be inefficient, buggy or simply never intended for other purposes. While these could be fixed given sufficient time and money, the question is if it would be worth it after so long. Better that a "Terraria 2" be created with a new engine, jettisoning any cruft and supporting the features Terraria 1 might not.

I see, it makes more sense now - Thx 👍

Back
Top Bottom