Moon Lord is Cthulhu; Change my mind

Do you think moon lord is cthulhu

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
The lunatic cultist at first wanted to bring Cthulhu back to life but as it is well written in the lore of Terraria Cthulhu did not die, he only retired to the dark side of the moon, perhaps and just perhaps by interrupting the ritual we altered it and I change the trajectory of it, and this trajectory would have changed and instead of reviving Cthulhu (which would not help since he is not dead, possibly it would have only given him strength) he broke the seal or the barrier that kept moon lord trapped on the moon, which would trigger all the post-cultist events

This could corroborate the idea that they are 2 different beings, related but very different.

It's just what I think is most logical.

Let me tell you something.
If I place my hand on a table, the move it off the table, I can say that my hand is in two places at once. The only difference between the two is time.
Cthulhu was Cthulhu before being attacked by the Dryads. He retreated to the dark side of the moon. With some severe damage, he would most likely use whatever was around him to heal himself. Hence the change in appearance, color scheme, etc.
Cthulhu is Moon Lord. The only differnence is time.
Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

Let me tell you something.
If I place my hand on a table, the move it off the table, I can say that my hand is in two places at once. The only difference between the two is time.
Cthulhu was Cthulhu before being attacked by the Dryads. He retreated to the dark side of the moon. With some severe damage, he would most likely use whatever was around him to heal himself. Hence the change in appearance, color scheme, etc.
Cthulhu is Moon Lord. The only differnence is time.
Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.
It would make a lot of sense but keep in mind that Re-logic said that moon lord is like a brother of Cthulhu

Last edited:
Replying here to avoid getting off-topic.
With all the debate and contrasting opinions, I personally believe it's safer to just leave it at "everyone's game lore is different".
That’s definitely what the devs want and I also agree with them. I just get annoyed by the people who say Moon Lord is Cthulhu like it’s a fact.

Moon lord has some signifigant differences in appearance; no scales, no wings, "organ bosses" (such as yourself) don't match up in size with him, and the face tentacles on his chin are below his mouth instead of covering it. I know Cthulhu was beat up by the dryads, but it doesn't make sense that all of that could've happened as a result of it.

View attachment 427486View attachment 427487
The tentacles covering the mouth and visible scales are just how some artists have interpreted Cthulhu. The original text written by H.P. Lovecraft doesn’t mention those details.

The other differences can be explained by Re-Logic only being inspired by the Call of Cthulhu, the Moon Lord’s sprite being an interpretation of Cthulhu, and wanting bosses like the EoC to be big enough to hit (the scale in Terraria has also never made sense).

Last edited:
In fact they said it's more like "cthulhu's brother" at one point which means that it's equally likely it could be his brother Hastur for all we know.
L4YQ14N_0UPvCZIydkpv2qEdzrysvKGB-psqLnjjLLQ.png

In this same post the same dev also said the Moon Lords real name was Steve. Later it was confirmed by Redigit himself that the entire post was a joke.
j9fbsn73ddr21.png

This seems to imply that Cthulhu is simply the completed version of Moon Lord, making them the same person. But that might just be my misunderstanding and taking the implication wrong.

a0bc3159d38fa5c5a60e7caffe662fcfaa12e469e6c08b1b28ae359211adf7b0_1.jpg

View attachment 427500
In this same post the same dev also said the Moon Lords real name was Steve. Later it was confirmed by Redigit himself that the entire post was a joke.
View attachment 427501
This seems to imply that Cthulhu is simply the completed version of Moon Lord, making them the same person. But that might just be my misunderstanding and taking the implication wrong.

Haha redigit misspelled Cthulhu

Back
Top Bottom