True Eyes of Cthulhu
Finished Ritual from Cultist
Lore says Cthulhu retreated to the Moon
Both want to destroy the world

Proof that ML is not Cthulhu:
Devs said ML is Cthulhu's brother
Looks different
Not enough proof that ML is Cthulhu
Cthulhu doesn't have a brain, skeleton or eye. When you defeat the Moon Lord, why does he have these body parts?

Also, that. Why did they have to include that the mechanic was working on a Mechanical Brain? 1.4 would release exactly a year from the release of the lore, and I don't see a reason to "deconfirm" a boss, unless things have gotten really out of hand.
the mechanical brain is the blue brain in the moonlords head

When you see them from a distance, moon lord and cthulhu are big baddies with evil plans for the world. But are they really one and the same? I say yes. Moon Lord summons true eyes of Cthulhu when you kill its eyes, and the bosses are brain of cthulhu and eye of cthulhu. Also, in the game lore, it says that the dryads teamed up against cthulhu and weakened him. They sent him to the dark side of the moon where he regained his powers, and so, it makes sense that Moon Lord is Cthulhu.
I have nothing to prove wrong here but i completely back this guys argument.

I don't think they're the same person, If I remember correctly, at this point Cthulhu is pretty much dust and bones, otherwise what would be the point of creating the mechanicals? It wouldn't make any sense to create a Cthulhu 2.0 if the original one were alive.
Also, what about the brain of Cthulhu and the funny looking eye? Did they just magically get back in place?
Plus Cthulhu is meant to be an oceanic creature, while moon lord, well, moon lord.
Yes, It could be possible that, while in the moon, Cthulhu "evolved" or had to change his physical appearance in order to adapt to the moon's conditions, but we've got vanilla proof about Cthulhu having his natural ocean traits, which is:
1618119095821.png

Yup, the ancient vision is the closest thing we have to identify Cthulhu, and there are some key differences between him and Moon Lord's head.

it prety obvis the moon lord is mor powerfulf then cultist and all 3 towers
withck means he can destory the space time contimunm just like cuthul
GET DUNKED ON
You should really focus on your studies than this, 10 year olds aren't allowed on forums.
+all you do is base terraria lore on nonsense, Moon lord destroying space-time continuum? really? that makes no sense at all, You watch too much marvel movies.

You should really focus on your studies than this, 10 year olds aren't allowed on forums.
+all you do is base terraria lore on nonsense, Moon lord destroying space-time continuum? really? that makes no sense at all, You watch too much marvel movies.
thanks for the input Nurse n mechanic

This isn’t necessary. Please don’t come here doing this - opening back up a thread that’s been dormant almost a year to reply to a message that’s even older, just to be rude. These forums don’t accept that. Also, please see the private message I sent you.

Moon Lord is not Cthulhu. I stand by this point.
Skeletron is confirmed to be the skeleton of Cthulhu. If ML is Cthulhu, why can you see his skeleton falling when he dies? It also looks bigger and different.
Exposed brain on top of ML's head. It is also blue which is different to BoC.
The Mechanic remakes the organs of Cthulhu. Why are they loose in the world and not in the hands of the Cultists? The ritual did finish; but Cthulhu didn't show up. If ML was Cthulhu, why did the Mechanic need to build new organs?
How did Cthulhu get from the ocean to the Moon? Did he die?
The ML wants revenge. This is a plausible reason that differs from the Cultists' ritual. We can see that when you defeat the Lunatic Cultist, the ritual is complete but the mysterious tablet breaks. Could it be a failed ritual?

I think this proof overwhelms the key evidence claiming ML is Cthulhu.

In principle, I would prefer to regard official game lore as fact. but since I'm not aware of most of the things the devs quote I think it's likely that to best piece together the lore, while it's rapidly changing and being amended, to try to combine all statements and in response to conflicting pieces of lore, favor more recent and official pieces of information. So while I'm in favor of finding all information, there is no reason to discard the official and current Terraria lore as inaccurate unless more current/official lore does so.

However, in an address to my heavily controversial standing, I would like to address a few arguments contrary to my position and explain their inaccuracies.
1.) the devs call the moon lord similar to Cthulu's brother:
This is obviously the forefront reasoning behind the cause of separating Cuthulu and the Moonlord as separate entities, my explanation here is (a) the lore is more current and official so obviously if they contradict each other the lore actually holds superiority. (b) this statement is slightly out of context and it shouldn't be taken as explicitly separating the ML and Cthulu.
2.) different skeleton and brian:
This is another very good point. however, it's important to note that while Cthulu became the moon lord they aren't the same being. like how your six-year-old self is different than your 80-year-old self. the lore heavily implies that Cthulu escaped to the moon and practically died there. Only surviving off of otherworldy implants, surgeries of the celestial creatures that he made his underlings combined with the ritualistic remedies created by the cultists. the chunks of his brain were crudely regrown and his skeleton was badly regenerated in the process, no human could recover like this but he is a god after all. and it's obvious that the cultists never intended for the moon lord to fight you in his current shape. They were planning on reviving him to his former glory before he did anything.
3.) failed ritual:
because the celestial invaders only come after you kill the lunatic cultist and don't if you lose the fight, the ritual requires a sacrifice in order to be completed thus the ritual was completed to its intent implicated by the laughing sound that plays when you kill the lunatic cultist.
4.) Ocean to the moon travel:
HE IS LITERALLY GOD.

That's all I have, please let me know if I got something wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom