Moon Lord is Cthulhu; Change my mind

Do you think moon lord is cthulhu

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

RedArrow

Terrarian
When you see them from a distance, moon lord and cthulhu are big baddies with evil plans for the world. But are they really one and the same? I say yes. Moon Lord summons true eyes of Cthulhu when you kill its eyes, and the bosses are brain of cthulhu and eye of cthulhu. Also, in the game lore, it says that the dryads teamed up against cthulhu and weakened him. They sent him to the dark side of the moon where he regained his powers, and so, it makes sense that Moon Lord is Cthulhu.

I wouldn't say that. The official lore is probably something to be disregarded anyway as it's very poorly thought out and is filled to the brim with plot holes. Not only that, but it directly conflicts with the devs saying that the moon lord is "something like cthulhu's brother", and that even if the lore was true it also states that Cthulhu is meant to be treated like an "unstoppable force", not something you would ever have a chance against.

I wouldn't say that. The official lore is probably something to be disregarded anyway as it's very poorly thought out and is filled to the brim with plot holes. Not only that, but it directly conflicts with the devs saying that the moon lord is "something like cthulhu's brother", and that even if the lore was true it also states that Cthulhu is meant to be treated like an "unstoppable force", not something you would ever have a chance against.
Even then, where does the Moon Lord come in in Terraria's official lore? I have a few pieces of evidence that may point to the Moon Lord and Cthulhu being one and the same, this evidence being taken from his Bestiary entry; which says the following:

"The mastermind behind all terrors which befall the world, freed from his lunar prison. Practically a god, his power knows no limits."

Let's take this entry step by step.

One, Cthulhu has multiple bosses connected to him, the most obvious ones being the Eye, the Brain, and Skeletron, as well as the three Mechanical Bosses. This pairs with the Moon Lord being "the mastermind behind all terrors which befall the world", which is most likely referring to Terraria's bosses. While Cthulhu is most likely not connected to all of the bosses in the base game, the description seems to fit pretty well nonetheless.

Second, both Cthulhu and the Moon Lord also seemed to be "locked inside a lunar prison" at one point. With Cthulhu being "sent to the dark side of the moon" by the dryads, it is good to assume the Moon Lord underwent the same fate before being freed.

As well as this, both the Moon Lord and Cthulhu could be referred to as gods, Cthulhu being an "unstoppable force" and the Moon Lord's "powers knowing no limits".

Along with all of this, the design of Cthulhu and the Moon Lord are relatively similar along with the Moon Lord's True Eyes of Cthulhu. Why would the Moon Lord's eyes have this name if the boss wasn't supposed to be Cthulhu himself?

Now, I'm not saying the Moon Lord being Cthulhu is fact, I simply gathered the evidence I could find to make a theory stating this. This said theory is plausible, and probably likely, but there's a chance it isn't correct. I would prefer if people would submit evidence supporting or undermining this theory in an effort to figure out whether it's true or not, or to create a better theory that is fact.

it prety obvis the moon lord is mor powerfulf then cultist and all 3 towers
withck means he can destory the space time contimunm just like cuthul
GET DUNKED ON

GET DUNKED ON
This provides little to no factual evidence and doesn't seem to support the theory in any way, shape, or form. There is also nothing implying the Moon Lord can destroy the spacetime continuum aside from his ability to teleport.

You should also probably work on your grammar.

but moon lord is cuthul bucase hs summond by th clestal sigal
GET DUNKED ON
He’s not Cthulhu, they are different beings. Where did you get the idea that he and/or Cthulhu could destroy the space time continuum? And why does the Lunatic Cultist matter? And, the celestial sigil is an artefact of the Moon Lord.
This doesn’t really prove anything.

He’s not Cthulhu, they are different beings. Where did you get the idea that he and/or Cthulhu could destroy the space time continuum? And why does the Lunatic Cultist matter? And, the celestial sigil is an artefact of the Moon Lord.
This doesn’t really prove anything.
Aside from Cthulhu and the Moon Lord not being the same entity, I agree with you.

Did you even read my essay above, or are you just repeating yourself in the same comment?

Oh wait.
I did read through it and you have really valid points, but as you said above:
Now, I'm not saying the Moon Lord being Cthulhu is fact, I simply gathered the evidence I could find to make a theory stating this. This said theory is plausible, and probably likely, but there's a chance it isn't correct.

Think of it this way in the 4th lore page it says that the Lunatic cultist worships Cthulhu, in the game he clearly worships Moon Lord. Thus I always assumed they were the same deity y'know?

Think of it this way in the 4th lore page it says that the Lunatic cultist worships Cthulhu, in the game he clearly worships Moon Lord. Thus I always assumed they were the same deity y'know?
That's true, but he could worship both. I know I'm grasping thin air right now, but I still think that they are different beings.
I am subject to change of opinion though.
if he wansnt thenhow dose he summon the true eye of cuthul :3
get rekt
That is a good point, but he could have powers similar to those of Cthulhu. Or we could go by the fan theory that the moon lord is Cthulhu's brother.

Even then, where does the Moon Lord come in in Terraria's official lore? I have a few pieces of evidence that may point to the Moon Lord and Cthulhu being one and the same, this evidence being taken from his Bestiary entry; which says the following:

"The mastermind behind all terrors which befall the world, freed from his lunar prison. Practically a god, his power knows no limits."

Let's take this entry step by step.

One, Cthulhu has multiple bosses connected to him, the most obvious ones being the Eye, the Brain, and Skeletron, as well as the three Mechanical Bosses. This pairs with the Moon Lord being "the mastermind behind all terrors which befall the world", which is most likely referring to Terraria's bosses. While Cthulhu is most likely not connected to all of the bosses in the base game, the description seems to fit pretty well nonetheless.

Second, both Cthulhu and the Moon Lord also seemed to be "locked inside a lunar prison" at one point. With Cthulhu being "sent to the dark side of the moon" by the dryads, it is good to assume the Moon Lord underwent the same fate before being freed.

As well as this, both the Moon Lord and Cthulhu could be referred to as gods, Cthulhu being an "unstoppable force" and the Moon Lord's "powers knowing no limits".

Along with all of this, the design of Cthulhu and the Moon Lord are relatively similar along with the Moon Lord's True Eyes of Cthulhu. Why would the Moon Lord's eyes have this name if the boss wasn't supposed to be Cthulhu himself?

Now, I'm not saying the Moon Lord being Cthulhu is fact, I simply gathered the evidence I could find to make a theory stating this. This said theory is plausible, and probably likely, but there's a chance it isn't correct. I would prefer if people would submit evidence supporting or undermining this theory in an effort to figure out whether it's true or not, or to create a better theory that is fact.
It just doesn't make logical sense for the developers to randomly do a 180 and decide that the boss they had been saying isn't Cthulhu for literal years is now Cthulhu. It probably just straight up isn't. In fact they said it's more like "cthulhu's brother" at one point which means that it's equally likely it could be his brother Hastur for all we know. In fact you could make a better case for it being Hastur than Cthulhu, as he is usually associated with the color yellow, and there is yellow energy emanating from the tablet, which could mean it was meant for him. It's a logical leap, but then again so is the idea that it's Cthulhu. And it's not like the Moon Lord even has the right color scheme for either, he's neither dark green nor yellow like either of the brothers.

If we knew where the cultists even got the tablet and why they waited so far into the game to use it, we would probably have a clearer answer. It could have been in possession of the Lihzarhds (an important part of the game curiously absent from the lore entirely, by the way) and then the cultists stole it from them and thought it was something else for all we know.

Back
Top Bottom