Moon Lord is Cthulhu; Change my mind

Do you think moon lord is cthulhu

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would prefer to regard official game lore as fact
I actually looked into it and it was written by a guy who isn't even a dev and immediately retconned by red himself a week later so the "official" lore basically means absolutely nothing now.

Which I actually prefer, in a way. The abstract nature of what this game presents you lets you fill in the blanks yourself and that's healthier for a game that sells itself as a sandbox.

It‘s this simple:
If the eye of Chthulu exists, technically that means that Chthulu has been slain, how else would his eye come alive? And yes, while Moonlord’s Blue Eyes may be called ‘True eyes of Chthulu’, that’s just because Moonlord obviously absorbed some of the power left in Chthulu‘s corpse, and that’s why Skeletron isn’t as powerful, as he is the Skeleton of Chthulu, but the possible power of Skeletrons was stolen by ML. It’s that simple, end of discussion.

I actually looked into it and it was written by a guy who isn't even a dev and immediately retconned by red himself a week later so the "official" lore basically means absolutely nothing now.

Which I actually prefer, in a way. The abstract nature of what this game presents you lets you fill in the blanks yourself and that's healthier for a game that sells itself as a sandbox.
"While Terraria was initially released without a clear story component, its developers at Re-Logic wrote and released a story connecting its characters and gameplay elements in celebration of the 8th anniversary of Terraria's release... ...many entries in the Bestiary contain matching pieces of lore"(p1) of the official Terraria wiki (.gg and fandom show the same result.)

Moonlord = Cuthulu
I rest my case.

its developers at Re-Logic wrote and released a story connecting its characters and gameplay elements in celebration of the 8th anniversary of Terraria's release.
MisterGameTheory alongside the TCT wrote that and apparently took minor input from the developers (which I kinda doubt tbh but whatever).

1647566443601.png

1647566531086.png

Retconned. Months after the "official" lore released. It means nothing.

Moonlord =/= cthulhu because it's left up to the player's interpretation. Literal confirmation from the lead developer of terraria here.

When you see them from a distance, moon lord and cthulhu are big baddies with evil plans for the world. But are they really one and the same? I say yes. Moon Lord summons true eyes of Cthulhu when you kill its eyes, and the bosses are brain of cthulhu and eye of cthulhu. Also, in the game lore, it says that the dryads teamed up against cthulhu and weakened him. They sent him to the dark side of the moon where he regained his powers, and so, it makes sense that Moon Lord is Cthulhu.
Well yes but actually no

It‘s this simple:
If the eye of Chthulu exists, technically that means that Chthulu has been slain, how else would his eye come alive? And yes, while Moonlord’s Blue Eyes may be called ‘True eyes of Chthulu’, that’s just because Moonlord obviously absorbed some of the power left in Chthulu‘s corpse, and that’s why Skeletron isn’t as powerful, as he is the Skeleton of Chthulu, but the possible power of Skeletrons was stolen by ML. It’s that simple, end of discussion.
This explains everything
No more is needed

I'm aware this thread's been done to death, but I'd just like to point out that the "lore" was likely the last thing any of the developers were concerned with. The lore that was established in the 8 year anniversary is, of course, heavily contradicted by other notions from devs (and the game itself), which implies they cared very little about making a coherent story. This is perfectly fine, as Terraria is a sandbox game, but that fact should be considered when trying to piece together random tidbits of lore we're given; it's sort of like trying to piece jigsaw pieces together from completely different sets.

So to hopefully end off this thread once and for all...

The Moon Lord is the closest thing we'll get to Cthulhu. It's best if we don't take this stuff too seriously. 😅

Cthulhu and the Moon Lord are not the same entity, because the official Wiki explicitly say that Moon Lord is Cthulhu's brother Steve. Oh, you actually want more proof than the words straight from the developers, you say? *Cracks knuckles* If you load up Terraria and use the Drunk World or For The Worthy seed, you can find the armor piece Moon Lord's Legs in random chests. Tooltip: "These must be Steve's." An obvious reference to the fact that the Moon Lord has no legs when you fight him. According to lore, Cthulhu's body parts, his brain and eyes, were spread throughout the world by the dryads. During the Moon Lord fight, however, he has a brain and three eyes. If the eyes and brain came back and reattached to him or regrew, then wouldn't his legs have regrown or come back as well? This proves, in my eyes, that the Moon Lord and Cthulhu are different entities. Be sure to comment if I missed anything or you can disprove me.

the official Wiki explicitly say that Moon Lord is Cthulhu's brother Steve.
The Wiki compiles information based on other sources. It doesn't create it.
If you load up Terraria and use the Drunk World or For The Worthy seed, you can find the armor piece Moon Lord's Legs in random chests. Tooltip: "These must be Steve's."
The Steve thing was a joke, and that tool tip is referencing that joke

I always considered Moonlord to be the strongest fragment of Cthulhu. As in it’s essentially him without being at full power. I think what happened to the rest of Cthulhu is that he just became the crimson, with his sins influencing the corruption

the official lore states that the moon lord is just Cthulhu but weakened
The official lore was also retconned.
MisterGameTheory alongside the TCT wrote that and apparently took minor input from the developers (which I kinda doubt tbh but whatever).

View attachment 360201
View attachment 360202
Retconned. Months after the "official" lore released. It means nothing.

Moonlord =/= cthulhu because it's left up to the player's interpretation. Literal confirmation from the lead developer of terraria here.

Back
Top Bottom