Switch Moon Lord keeps freezing (Terraria Switch)

I haven’t experienced many lag or freezing problems with Terraria on switch up until now, but this seems to be a very consistent issue.

I have fought the celestial pillars three times now, and they never give me any performance issues. However, whenever I beat all 4 pillars and the Moon Lord is right about to spawn, the game crashes. No matter what I do to try and fix the issue, the Moon Lord always crashes my game. I have no clue what to do because I haven’t encountered anything like this before when playing Terraria, so this seems like a switch specific issue.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I haven’t experienced many lag or freezing problems with Terraria on switch up until now, but this seems to be a very consistent issue.

I have fought the celestial pillars three times now, and they never give me any performance issues. However, whenever I beat all 4 pillars and the Moon Lord is right about to spawn, the game crashes. No matter what I do to try and fix the issue, the Moon Lord always crashes my game. I have no clue what to do because I haven’t encountered anything like this before when playing Terraria, so this seems like a switch specific issue.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Hi there Barry, welcome to the forums, and sorry to hear you’re having this issue.

Normally I hear from other players that their game is freezing during the pillars (probably due to a lot of projectiles on the screen), so it’s good news that you’re able to get past them without freezing.

When your game crashes, before Moon Lord can show up, what do you have on your screen? Do you have lots of statues that are wired up? Any traps? What weapon are you using? Is it the same one that you used during pillars? I’m wondering if your Moon Lord setup has a lot going on which may crash the game. If so, try being at an area that has nothing and see if the Moon Lord spawns.

If your Moon Lord arena doesn’t have a lot going on, I’m not sure why the game would conk out. :(

Here are some things to try just in case (sorry if you already tried them)...
  • Exit the game completely and turn off the Switch completely (hold Power Button for 3-5 seconds>Power Settings>Shut Down), then try again.
  • If you’re playing in docked mode, try playing undocked, and vice versa.
  • Experiment with zoom levels, see if playing all the way zoomed out works better, and/or see if playing way zoomed in makes it so Moon Lord can appear without crashing the game
  • One thing I just thought of - if your Moon Lord area is at your right ocean, and you’re playing on a large world, right now there is a known issue whereby the game will crash. A workaround is to play all the way zoomed out.
Lastly, I recommend sending in all of your details regarding this issue straight to Pipeworks, the console developers, here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

Good luck Barry. Sorry that I don’t have a definite solution. I’d love an update on if you were able to experiment and find a workaround so I can share it with others if they have the same problem.

Hi there Barry, welcome to the forums, and sorry to hear you’re having this issue.

Normally I hear from other players that their game is freezing during the pillars (probably due to a lot of projectiles on the screen), so it’s good news that you’re able to get past them without freezing.

When your game crashes, before Moon Lord can show up, what do you have on your screen? Do you have lots of statues that are wired up? Any traps? What weapon are you using? Is it the same one that you used during pillars? I’m wondering if your Moon Lord setup has a lot going on which may crash the game. If so, try being at an area that has nothing and see if the Moon Lord spawns.

If your Moon Lord arena doesn’t have a lot going on, I’m not sure why the game would conk out. :(

Here are some things to try just in case (sorry if you already tried them)...
  • Exit the game completely and turn off the Switch completely (hold Power Button for 3-5 seconds>Power Settings>Shut Down), then try again.
  • If you’re playing in docked mode, try playing undocked, and vice versa.
  • Experiment with zoom levels, see if playing all the way zoomed out works better, and/or see if playing way zoomed in makes it so Moon Lord can appear without crashing the game
  • One thing I just thought of - if your Moon Lord area is at your right ocean, and you’re playing on a large world, right now there is a known issue whereby the game will crash. A workaround is to play all the way zoomed out.
Lastly, I recommend sending in all of your details regarding this issue straight to Pipeworks, the console developers, here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

Good luck Barry. Sorry that I don’t have a definite solution. I’d love an update on if you were able to experiment and find a workaround so I can share it with others if they have the same problem.
Well my arena isn’t really anything special, just several rows of platforms in the exact center of my world. No statues or fancy wiring (other than a small shield from Moon Lord’s laser with actuators). All of my NPCs are situated far away and there’s pretty much nothing on the screen when he’s about to spawn.

I play melee, so I don’t have many weapons that would overload the game. The three main ones I have are the Solar Eruption, Daybreak, and Eye of Cthulhu. I may use the phantasm with ichor arrows later but I haven’t touched it since it was first crafted. I also have a Stardust Dragon which is two segments long (again, I’m not a summoner). I’ve been using these for all of the pillars with no performance issues.

I usually play in docked mode, where I’m always completely zoomed out. I’ll try zooming in some the next time he’s about to spawn and see if that helps. I’ll also try playing in handheld next time.

If any of this works I’ll be sure to update you.

I used a star wrath and just as I almost got an eye down, the game froze and I had to reload
It sounds like the issue in connection with particle overload (too much stuff on the screen). Pipeworks, the console developers, are working on it, but in the meantime try out other weapons that don’t add too many particles to the screen.

It sounds like the issue in connection with particle overload (too much stuff on the screen). Pipeworks, the console developers, are working on it, but in the meantime try out other weapons that don’t add too many particles to the screen.
Would the meowmere be Ok? I just beat the moon lord with my solar eruption and got the meowmere and I'm wondering if that would make the game freeze or not

Would the meowmere be Ok? I just beat the moon lord with my solar eruption and got the meowmere and I'm wondering if that would make the game freeze or not
That’s a tough one, as I could see the cats flying all around might be a problem, especially since the moon lord shoots off his own stuff contributing to particles on screen. You could give it a try to see. I know it’s really frustrating having to limit what weapons are used. Hopefully this is just a temporary workaround.

Back
Top Bottom