Game Mechanics Moon Lord: Quicker Rematches

Snickerbobble

The Painter
I think that if a player dies to Moon Lord, instead of having to go through the Cultist and Pillars again, a random Pillar will be reconstructed and defeating it again will cause Moon Lord to reappear in a minute for a rematch. Currently it's just too punishing, and will allow players to learn the boss faster than dying about 10 seconds in after a half hour of repeating the celestial event.

Well, the problem now is, what if a pillar you dont need shards from spawns. And how do you summon the random pillar. By killing the cultists but not being able to fight the cultist boss? Ir would it be a random event?

I think there should be a summoning item for the pillars instead that drops from the Lunatic Cultist or crafted from shards.

This opens up a potential problem, however.

Think about this; a player struggles hard with Moon Lord. They feel they just can't beat him. They just want to be done with it and return to Terrarian life as usual. What then? They just deal with a portion of their world always having a tower in it?

While I sorta agree that Moon Lord is almost way too punishing for failing a fight against, doing it like this would screw over people who just want the lunar event gone. It solves one person's problem, and becomes someone else's.

Well, the problem now is, what if a pillar you dont need shards from spawns. And how do you summon the random pillar. By killing the cultists but not being able to fight the cultist boss? Ir would it be a random event?
I think the pillar would go up immediately after respawning.

I think there should be a summoning item for the pillars instead that drops from the Lunatic Cultist or crafted from shards.
Moon Lord could really do with a spawner too I think.

This opens up a potential problem, however.

Think about this; a player struggles hard with Moon Lord. They feel they just can't beat him. They just want to be done with it and return to Terrarian life as usual. What then? They just deal with a portion of their world always having a tower in it?

While I sorta agree that Moon Lord is almost way too punishing for failing a fight against, doing it like this would screw over people who just want the lunar event gone. It solves one person's problem, and becomes someone else's.
Some possible solutions:

Losing 3 times to Moon Lord ends the celestial event.
Using 15 of each fragment, you can make a Celestial Seal that summons Moon Lord.
Logging out of your world despawns all towers, ending the event.

*dies to moon lord and a tower appears*
100px-Solar_Pillar.png

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

To me, I feel like the Lunar Event is perfect as it is. When I first died, I collected more fragments and created more weapons, experimenting with the second half of weapons I have not tried making, finding out and using some of the other weapons I have not made helped. If it were one random pillar, it wouldn't really help as much.

If you are dying in about 10 seconds fighting the moonlord, try making up a new strategy, and/or create potions that will help you with the fight. Creating potions after the first fight loss was the way I went. It is a final boss after all. Prepare as much as you can.

100px-Solar_Pillar.png

If you dislike this pillar because the Crawlipedes, fight on the ground, no flying. Crawlipedes never attack you when you are on the ground. (Unless you run into them with your arms open, ready to give it a hug right when it spawns)

Just curious, how exactly is the lunar event summoned right now? I haven't reached it yet, but I still want to join in this discussion.

Just curious, how exactly is the lunar event summoned right now? I haven't reached it yet, but I still want to join in this discussion.
1. Kill Golem, cultists appear at dungeon entrance
2. Kill cultists, super cultist appears
3. Kill super cultist, celestial pillars appear
4. Kill celestial pillars, moon lord appears
5. Kill Moon Lord, cultists reappear, go to 2
Die to Moon Lord, cultists reappear, go to 2
Die to super cultist, you have to kill Golem again, go to 1

I personally reckon that an item made from the celestial shards that summons the Moon Lord should be available

1. Kill Golem, cultists appear at dungeon entrance
2. Kill cultists, super cultist appears
3. Kill super cultist, celestial pillars appear
4. Kill celestial pillars, moon lord appears
5. Kill Moon Lord, cultists reappear, go to 2
Die to Moon Lord, cultists reappear, go to 2
Die to super cultist, you have to kill Golem again, go to 1
Alright, what about that emblem that shows up with the cultists? Is it a background object, or an entity that can't be damaged?

Alright, what about that emblem that shows up with the cultists? Is it a background object, or an entity that can't be damaged?
It's just an invincible entity like the spike balls and blazing wheels
It disappears when the super cultist spawns

It's just an invincible entity like the spike balls and blazing wheels
It disappears when the super cultist spawns
Hmm... I was thinking, maybe there could be a way to destroy that before the Lunatic cultist shows up, and if you do destroy it, then that could summon the Moon lord.

Hmm... I was thinking, maybe there could be a way to destroy that before the Lunatic cultist shows up, and if you do destroy it, then that could summon the Moon lord.
That's a pretty good idea. It's not hard to kill the cultists but it's also pretty easy to not kill them

100px-Solar_Pillar.png

Vortex Pillar is the hardest now, with the Distortion debuff glitch :dryadconfused:

To me, I feel like the Lunar Event is perfect as it is. When I first died, I collected more fragments and created more weapons, experimenting with the second half of weapons I have not tried making, finding out and using some of the other weapons I have not made helped. If it were one random pillar, it wouldn't really help as much.

If you are dying in about 10 seconds fighting the moonlord, try making up a new strategy, and/or create potions that will help you with the fight. Creating potions after the first fight loss was the way I went. It is a final boss after all. Prepare as much as you can.

If you dislike this pillar because the Crawlipedes, fight on the ground, no flying. Crawlipedes never attack you when you are on the ground. (Unless you run into them with your arms open, ready to give it a hug right when it spawns)

I got enough fragments to make both weapons for each pillar before Moon Lord.. also you can convert 3 fragment types into one of the fourth.

Basically you're just telling me to "git gud," but the problem here isn't Moon Lord being too hard, it just takes too long to refight him again. It's like.. if making a Suspicious Looking Eye required 30 lenses.. it's too punishing. Fighting the Pillars and enemies were fun and tough the first time, but if I can beat them once, I can do it a million times, especially with the post-pillar weapons. I'd just like to get on with the Moon Lord again without having to spend 20 to 30 minutes on the cultist and pillars again. It is a hard boss, so you shouldn't have to go through all this again if you lose. If it was an easy boss it wouldn't be so bad, but it's a difficult boss, and the only progress I should lose from dying to him is him reappearing with full health, not have to repeat previous events all over again.

I actually like this idea of using a Pillar, but make it a SPECIAL pillar that summons any of the other pillars monsters, but leaves NO fragment/Shards. And if you want to end the Event, I too agree if you log out (shut down server for MP) to do so, so it's not on forever.

Vortex Pillar is the hardest now, with the Distortion debuff glitch :dryadconfused:

I got enough fragments to make both weapons for each pillar before Moon Lord.. also you can convert 3 fragment types into one of the fourth.

Basically you're just telling me to "git gud," but the problem here isn't Moon Lord being too hard, it just takes too long to refight him again. It's like.. if making a Suspicious Looking Eye required 30 lenses.. it's too punishing. Fighting the Pillars and enemies were fun and tough the first time, but if I can beat them once, I can do it a million times, especially with the post-pillar weapons. I'd just like to get on with the Moon Lord again without having to spend 20 to 30 minutes on the cultist and pillars again. It is a hard boss, so you shouldn't have to go through all this again if you lose. If it was an easy boss it wouldn't be so bad, but it's a difficult boss, and the only progress I should lose from dying to him is him reappearing with full health, not have to repeat previous events all over again.

I am not trying to tell you to "get gud" but if you want to see it that way, that is fine by me I guess.

What I am trying to say is to prepare a bit more with potions and other stuff you are able to obtain.
Thinking about it for a while though (And looking at the posts after mine's), it would be nice to have a way to spawn the end-game boss with all the fragments (Not too much with only one pillar reappearing since it could hurt other people), but at the same time, I feel like it is fine as it is now since it is the last boss in the game.

Sure 30 lenses for a Suspicious Looking Eye is way too punishing and too much, but that's for one of the first bosses in the game. Since this is the final boss, the ultimate challenge, I feel fine with the punishment, as it makes you fear of having to get back to it, trying your best and giving it your all or else you will basically have to go back a step, or in other games, have to go back to a savepoint. The pillars could be looked at as part of the final boss, minions, and it somewhat limits how many times you fight the boss.

If you think about it, most other bosses do take a while and all have their punishments as well.
One of the stronger punishments I see other than the final boss is failing to defeat Plantera, since you must search for another bulb, which might take a long time if one has not grown yet or if you are not looking in the correct spots. As for some other bosses, you might have finally obtained all the items you need for it, but the night is almost ending, meaning you have to wait for the night and day before it becomes night again, a day being 15 minutes of waiting time.

Bu in the end, I really end up in the neutral side here. I see both viewpoints somewhat equal. I'll let fate (Or the devs/updates) decide here.

I do agree that going through the same events over and over again just for one thing is pretty annoying. There was an old game I played where the final boss was three stages and you had to repeat them all if you failed any of them. The final stage was ridiculously hard and the first two stages got so boring I quit playing the game. After a while you get all the drops you need from the pillars, so needing to do them every single time to fight the Moon Lord (regardless of whether it's another attempt cause you failed or just to farm the boss) can get very tedious and boring.

I can think of two ways to potentially solve this. The first would be to have each pillar drop a static number of items that can be merged together to summon Moon Lord (probably two of each). MO (Tooltip: You) dropped by Solar Pillar, ON (Tooptip: asked) dropped by Nebula Pillar, LO (Tooltip: for) dropped by Stardust Pillar, and RD (Tooltip: it!) dropped by Vortex Pillar. Crafting all four of them together would give you Moon Lord's Revenge (Tooltip: You asked for it!), which allows you to summon Moon Lord. This would allow people at least a couple of attempts (or farming chances) before needing to do the entire cultist event again. They can make it so you can't have more than one Moon Lord at a time. The main problem with this method is people can easily hack in the item as many times as they want (granted they can just hack in the drops regardless).

The second option is to spawn the Revenge Cultist at the entrance to the Jungle Temple after the four Pillars have been destroyed. It would act like the Devotes and Archers, not attacking until he is attacked. He could be slightly harder than the Lunatic Cultist, to make up for not summoning the Pillars. After beating him, the Moon Lord would spawn (with the same delay as after beating the Pillars). He would respawn statically after Moon Lord is gone (either fleeing or dying). This would allow people to continually attempt/farm Moon Lord without needing to fight the Pillars over and over again. The main problem with this is that the Pillars would become completely useless after getting enough materials from them (as opposed to the first suggestion, in which you'd only get three chances (two plus his natural spawn) before needing to fight the Pillars again).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom