Items Moon's Tear & Moon Orb - Hardmode Mana Stars

StargazerSammie

Empress of Light
First off, I have no idea if anyone has done anything like this before and if they have, I apologize for having a similar idea. Mine however, spawned from Majora's Mask in a way. Also as a Disclaimer; I don't claim this suggestion to be all that great and it's probably actually a really bad idea in ways I don't know and I'm sure someone will tell me. I just wanted to get it out there though.

So with that said, lets get into it.

Introducing the Moon's Tear & Moon Orb, a hardmode answer to Mana Stars.

Moon's Tear
MoonTear.png

"It pulses with a strange light."

A Moon's Tear is a Hardmode Fallen Star with drop rates like a Life Fruit in Mobile/Console. It appears rarely at night once you enter hardmode with gained frequency after the defeat of one or more Mechanical Bosses. On it's own, it's useless enough except that once you have 5, you can craft them to make a Moon Orb, a Hardmode answer to a Mana Star.

Moon Orb
MoonOrb.png

"It fills you with an otherworldly energy."

A Moon Orb works much like a Life Fruit. It increases maximum Mana by 10, increasing the cap from 200 to 300. Much like with Hearts upgraded with Life Fruit, the stars would turn a new color, in this case Teal.

As a person who frequently uses things that require Mana, I know how easy it is to burn through your Mana, even with accessories and potions. Indeed, some of the Endgame magic weapons can burn through your reserves in nearly an instant unprepared and a little longer still if you are. So I don't think a Mana upgrade would be a bad thing. It may not be necessary to have but it would certainly be nice.

Alternative uses for Moon's Tears, once you've made all the Orbs you can, could include;
  • Potion Ingredient - You could swap a Moon's Tear for a Fallen Star in Super Mana Potions.
  • Ammunition - You could shove it in a Star Cannon and shoot Moon Lord in the face with it.
  • Crafting Material - You could stick it in a bottle. It provides both light and Mana Regeneration like a Star in a Bottle.
  • Profitable - Being a rare material, they could sell for a nice penny with the merchants, more than normal Fallen Stars
Tear in a Bottle
TearInABottle.png

"Made from the Tears of your Enemy."

For those of you who stuck around and read this suggestion, I thank you. While I don't think this will ever happen, I had a lot of fun doing this suggestion and the sprites for it. If you guys have any suggestions or ways to make this better, feel free to let me know!

Did you make those sprites? Those are bloody brilliant! The Moon Orb should be a placable block, I want to build a house out of it! And a whole furniture set! `;)
In seriousness though, I have no idea if additional Mana is a good or bad thing. I just can to hopefully get these sprites some recognition!

Did you make those sprites? Those are bloody brilliant! The Moon Orb should be a placable block, I want to build a house out of it! And a whole furniture set! `;)
In seriousness though, I have no idea if additional Mana is a good or bad thing. I just can to hopefully get these sprites some recognition!

Yes I did c: I do pixel art and dolls when I'm not playing Terraria and I'm alright at it if I say so myself :dryadgrin:

The idea of making it a placeable block is a really good idea! It could always be an alternative to it if the idea of hardmode mana stars doesn't pan out for it :dryadgrin: They'd make an awesome glowy green house for certain. I might see about doing a furniture set based off of it for fun.

Yes I did c: I do pixel art and dolls when I'm not playing Terraria and I'm alright at it if I say so myself :dryadgrin:

The idea of making it a placeable block is a really good idea! It could always be an alternative to it if the idea of hardmode mana stars doesn't pan out for it :dryadgrin: They'd make an awesome glowy green house for certain. I might see about doing a furniture set based off of it for fun.

Yes, they'd go really well with Luminite Bricks. And as to the actual point of this suggestion, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but most suggestion about increasing stat maximums have not been well received. Something about 'people wanting the game to be easier' and 'the OP won't be content with this much of this stat, they'll want more'. I don't share these views on this suggestion, but I just thought I'd let you know in advance. I, for one, am quite neutral about the idea of an HM Mana upgrade. The other uses that you proposed for these items are quite nice. I would love to fire these out of a Star Cannon, and I would use the Tear in a Bottle as my house's only light source any day, depending on the colour of light that it produced. Although, if Moon Orbs are to be placable, then they should be a lot easier to obtain. (idk what happened to the font, I'll fix it later.)

Yes, they'd go really well with Luminite Bricks. And as to the actual point of this suggestion, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but most suggestion about increasing stat maximums have not been well received. Something about 'people wanting the game to be easier' and 'the OP won't be content with this much of this stat, they'll want more'. I don't share these views on this suggestion, but I just thought I'd let you know in advance. I, for one, am quite neutral about the idea of an HM Mana upgrade. The other uses that you proposed for these items are quite nice. I would love to fire these out of a Star Cannon, and I would use the Tear in a Bottle as my house's only light source any day, depending on the colour of light that it produced. Although, if Moon Orbs are to be placable, then they should be a lot easier to obtain. (idk what happened to the font, I'll fix it later.)

Thanks for letting me know that then! It's always nice to be prepared for what people might say. Personally, I'm just fine with Mana as it is, I just couldn't think of a better use for these things until you mentioned placeable items and now I'm getting so many ideas for possible crafting uses. Thats why I like this, you're actually helping me to refine this idea and take it new places so thank you for that.

As for easier attainability, if I went the route of turning them into a furniture/craft item, I'd probably cut Orbs out completely and make it just Tears alone (or vise versa depending on what people liked more) and give them the fallen star spawn rates, though you could probably find them with increased chances depending on the Lunar Phase. Like you'd find far more during a full moon than you would in a new moon since they're connected to the Moon and the Moon Lord. That said of course, new moons wouldn't mean you found none at all, you'd find maybe 4 or 5 then compared to as many as 20 during Full Moons with the nightly average being about 10.

Also to answer your Tear in a Bottle question on color, it would likely be a teal-blue glow, similar to the light of a Wisp in a Bottle or the Suspicious Looking Tentacle.

Thanks for letting me know that then! It's always nice to be prepared for what people might say. Personally, I'm just fine with Mana as it is, I just couldn't think of a better use for these things until you mentioned placeable items and now I'm getting so many ideas for possible crafting uses. Thats why I like this, you're actually helping me to refine this idea and take it new places so thank you for that.

As for easier attainability, if I went the route of turning them into a furniture/craft item, I'd probably cut Orbs out completely and make it just Tears alone (or vise versa depending on what people liked more) and give them the fallen star spawn rates, though you could probably find them with increased chances depending on the Lunar Phase. Like you'd find far more during a full moon than you would in a new moon since they're connected to the Moon and the Moon Lord. That said of course, new moons wouldn't mean you found none at all, you'd find maybe 4 or 5 then compared to as many as 20 during Full Moons with the nightly average being about 10.

Also to answer your Tear in a Bottle question on color, it would likely be a teal-blue glow, similar to the light of a Wisp in a Bottle or the Suspicious Looking Tentacle.

I personally think that the Orbs look better as item sprites, but as placed blocks they would be indistinguishable, different only in name. Also, with what you said about Fallen Stars, you should keep in mind that while under normal conditions one might find about 15-20 stars in a night, with a skybridge the rate can soar to somewhere in the 100s per night. An idea of mine would be that you still have the Tears fall, and craft them into Orbs, but have each Orb craft into ~25 Moon Orb Blocks(Shards? Marbles? You name them...), which would be used to build/craft with, and as Star Cannon ammunition. Speaking of that, maybe the Shards should have some sort of special effect when fired from a Star Cannon? This whole idea also sets me thinking about using Moon Orbs with Luminite to craft post-game throwing armour, but that would be better suited to a thread about the throwing class in general. Anyway, I didn't mean to take over your suggestion, I just thought that I might dump some ideas on you.

I personally think that the Orbs look better as item sprites, but as placed blocks they would be indistinguishable, different only in name. Also, with what you said about Fallen Stars, you should keep in mind that while under normal conditions one might find about 15-20 stars in a night, with a skybridge the rate can soar to somewhere in the 100s per night. An idea of mine would be that you still have the Tears fall, and craft them into Orbs, but have each Orb craft into ~25 Moon Orb Blocks(Shards? Marbles? You name them...), which would be used to build/craft with, and as Star Cannon ammunition. Speaking of that, maybe the Shards should have some sort of special effect when fired from a Star Cannon? This whole idea also sets me thinking about using Moon Orbs with Luminite to craft post-game throwing armour, but that would be better suited to a thread about the throwing class in general. Anyway, I didn't mean to take over your suggestion, I just thought that I might dump some ideas on you.

No no, it's alright! Really I don't mind at all XD You're being very helpful with your suggestions and ideas and I love everything you keep throwing out at me. With everything you've said and suggested along with ideas of my own I've now been able to refine, I may see about doing this suggestion thread over and definitely expanding it past the idea of just Mana increase for certain.

I have to thank you again so much for the help you've given me here c: If/When that new thread happens, you'll definitely be credited for it!

No no, it's alright! Really I don't mind at all XD You're being very helpful with your suggestions and ideas and I love everything you keep throwing out at me. With everything you've said and suggested along with ideas of my own I've now been able to refine, I may see about doing this suggestion thread over and definitely expanding it past the idea of just Mana increase for certain.

I have to thank you again so much for the help you've given me here c: If/When that new thread happens, you'll definitely be credited for it!

Brilliant! Getting credit for something would be really cool. It certainly would make this longtime lurker feel good to have actually contributed something to a post. XD
So, do you mean that you'll be rewriting this thread, or just starting over with a new thread? Just curious. Also, something that I'd like just as much as getting credit for two paragraphs of suggestion is if you'd check out my suggestion thread, at your leisure of course. (Assuming that you haven't already.) Anyway, I just checked out your build thread, and bloody heck, those are guude builds!

The Moon's Tear and Orbs look absolutely beautiful; they'd be an excellent addition to the game. I give this my fullest and sincere support.

Brilliant! Getting credit for something would be really cool. It certainly would make this longtime lurker feel good to have actually contributed something to a post. XD
So, do you mean that you'll be rewriting this thread, or just starting over with a new thread? Just curious. Also, something that I'd like just as much as getting credit for two paragraphs of suggestion is if you'd check out my suggestion thread, at your leisure of course. (Assuming that you haven't already.) Anyway, I just checked out your build thread, and bloody heck, those are guude builds!

I've never really browsed the suggestion section before but I wouldn't mind at all checking yours out when I get time c: And if I can find it XD I'm sure I can though.

I will likely start over in a new thread since I'm most likely to change the title as well which I can't do here in an already posted thread, which is also so out of date now and it's only been a few hours!

And thank you! My builds aren't as great as some but I'm slowly getting better at it. A lot of my works in progress were lost though so I'm starting over again from scratch with some which has really halted progress there.

I've never really browsed the suggestion section before but I wouldn't mind at all checking yours out when I get time c: And if I can find it XD I'm sure I can though.

I will likely start over in a new thread since I'm most likely to change the title as well which I can't do here in an already posted thread, which is also so out of date now and it's only been a few hours!

And thank you! My builds aren't as great as some but I'm slowly getting better at it. A lot of my works in progress were lost though so I'm starting over again from scratch with some which has really halted progress there.

My suggestion should be somewhere near your this one, actually. You could also click on my username an find it from there.
Well, I had no idea that your thread was quite that recent. Sorry for outmoding it...
"My builds aren't as great as some" Well, they're better than mine, and that's all I give a :redspin: about. Good job.

Back
Top Bottom