Weapons & Equip More Craftable Staves

So I know I'm not the only one who desires more gem staff-style items, so here I am with my own take on this idea.

Tier 5, 7, 8, and 9 staves are sprited by me. Please keep in mind that these stats are not set in stone; I am open to suggestions on different values.

A bunch of these sprites are by the awesome @SilverHexxitFights; go check his stuff out! He's pretty cool.

Easymode
index.php

Kudos to @SilverHexxitFights for the sprite!
Name: Acorn Staff
Damage: 4
Use Time: 40 (Very Slow)
Velocity: 6
Mana: 2
Crafting: 35x Wood, 8x Acorn @ Workbench
I leave you to try and figure out whether or not this is a serious weapon or a joke.
DemoniteStaff.png

Name: Shadow's Blessing
Damage: 26
Use Time: 23 (Fast, Autofire)
Velocity: 10
Mana: 10
Crafting: 10x Demonite Bar, 8x Shadow Scale, 4x Diamond @ Anvil OR 1x Diamond Staff, 2x Demonite Bar, 2x Shadow Scale
Casts single fast shadow bolts with a bit higher damage from the Diamond Staff. Still only hits two enemies.

CrimsonStaff.png

Name: Flesh Flayer
Damage: 28
Use Time: 32 (Slow, Autofire)
Velocity: 9
Crafting: 10x Crimtane Bar, 8x Tissue Sample, 4x Diamond @ Anvil OR 1x Diamond Staff, 2x Crimtane Bar, 2x Tissue Sample
Casts single fast blood bolts with a bit higher damage from Shadow's Blessing, but slower. Hits three enemies.
index.php

Name: Nature's Scepter
Damage: 24
Use Time: 28 (Average, Autofire)
Velocity: 14
Crafting: 24x Rich Mahogany Wood, 12x Jungle Spore, 8x Stinger
Fires fast, bouncing energy bolts that can bounce 3 times, but only hit one enemy.

index.php

And more kudos to @SilverHexxitFights for this one!
Name: Infernal Bolt
Damage: 30
Use Time: 25 (Fast, Autofire)
Velocity: 12
Mana: 12
Crafting: 10x Hellstone Bar, 12x Obsidian
Fires large, flaming bolts that have a larger hitbox than other staves, but hit harder and leave an extensive On Fire debuff on whatever they hit.
index.php

These two are done by Silver as well!
Name: Dusk's Vengeance
Damage: 27
Use Time: 20 (Very Fast, Autofire)
Velocity: 8
Crafting: 1x Shadow's Blessing, 1x Aqua Scepter, 1x Nature's Scepter, 1x Infernal Bolt
The staff equivalent to Night's Edge, but with a bit of a twist. Bolts fired by Dusk's Vengeance can bounce once, pierce once, move slower, and fire quicker.

index.php

Name: Unholy Destructor
Damage: 31
Use Time: 30 (Average, Autofire)
Crafting: 1x Flesh Flayer, 1x Aqua Scepter, 1x Nature's Scepter, 1x Infernal Bolt
And the staff equivalent to Wrath of the Gods, exhibiting the same basic effects as Dusk's Vengeance, but trading bouncing and some speed for 2 extra pierces and some extra damage.
Hardmode
CobaltStaff.png

Name: Cobalt Staff
Damage: 32
Use Time: 22 (Fast, Autofire)
Crafting: 10x Cobalt Bar, 10x Crystal Shard or 1x Beam Reactor @ Anvil
Rapidly casts single magic bolts with higher damage than the Demonite Staff, piercing twice.
(This one doesn't really contain much of the Japanese focus of the other Cobalt gear, but I did get in the styling of the gold crossguard from the sword.)

PalladiumStaff.png

Name: Palladium Tristaff
Damage: 26
Velocity: 7
Crafting: 12x Palladium Bar, 10x Crystal Shard or 1x Beam Reactor @ Anvil
Slowly casts triple magic bolts in a 45 degree spread that pierce once, but with lower damage than the Cobalt staff.
MyhtrilStaff.png

Name: Mythril Staff
Damage: 34
Velocity: 11
Mana: 14
Crafting: 10x Mythril Bar, 15x Crystal Shard or 2x Beam Reactor @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
Rapidly casts single magic bolts with higher damage and speed than the Cobalt Staff, piercing twice.
(This one's sprite took a while to finalize and make not look completely off color-wise. It's styled after the Mythril Sword.)

OrichalcumStaff.png

Name: Orichalcum Tribolt
Damage: 28
Use Time: 28 (Average, Autofire)
Velocity: 7
Mana: 15
Crafting: 12x Orichalcum Bar, 15x Crystal Shard or 2x Beam Reactor @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil

Slowly casts triple magic bolts in a 30 degree spread that pierce once, but with lower damage and velocity than the Mythril Staff.
(I am completely open to replacement sprites on this one. I was trying so hard to not make it look derpy and ended up giving up because it's way too much of a pain. If you want to try your hand at it you are more than welcome to.)
AdamantiteStaff.png

Name: Adamantite Staff
Damage: 37
Use Time: 24 (Fast, Autofire)
Mana: 16
Crafting: 12x Adamantite Bar, 20x Crystal Shard or 3x Beam Reactor @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
Rapidly casts single magic bolts with higher damage and velocity than the Mythril Staff, but slower, piercing three times.

TitaniumStaff.png

Name: Tritanium Staff (yes, I just made that pun)
Use Time: 27 (Average, Autofire)
Mana: 18
Crafting: 13x Titanium Bar, 20x Crystal Shard or 3x Beam Reactor @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
Slowly casts triple magic bolts in a 20 degree spread that pierce twice, but with lower damage and velocity than the Adamantite Staff.
(This staff. I pity the poor soul who had to work with Titanium. There's a reason why it's commonly recommended that you use minimal colors with spriting- this is a great demonstration of it. Just getting the colors right was a nightmare, and then getting it to look right (which I'm still not satisfied with it) was almost as difficult. This thing just... never again.)
No images for these ones at the immediate moment.
Name: Prisma Gem
Crafting: 1x Amethyst, 1x Topaz, 1x Sapphire, 1x Emerald, 1x Ruby, 1x Diamond, 5x Crystal Shard @ Adamantite/Titanium Forge
Used primarily for the creation of the two Hallowed staves, as well as Prisma Torches (torches that cycle through the whole rainbow) and potentially an accessory or two. Hallow-themed stuff, basically. A single Prisma Gem can also be combined with 25 Pearlstone to make 25 Rainbow Brick.

Name: Nova Bolt
Damage: 42
Mana: 22
Crafting: 12x Hallowed Bar, 8x Prisma Gem @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
Rapidly casts powerful, high-velocity magic bolts that pierce four times, with higher damage and speed than the Adamantite Staff.

Name: Prismatic Tetrastaff
Mana: 24
Crafting: 14x Hallowed Bar, 8x Prisma Gem @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
Casts quadruple magic bolts in a 45 degree spready that pierce three times, though with lower damage, speed, and velocity than the Nova Bolt.
No sprites for these ones either.
Name: Crystal Reactor
Crafting: 1x Amethyst, 1x Topaz, 1x Sapphire, 1x Emerald, 1x Ruby, 1x Diamond, 1x Beam Reactor @ Adamantite/Titanium Forge
Basically the Cyber equivalent of the Prisma Gem. Isn't used for torches, but is used for the aptly-named Lightning Rod and Tetrabolt Reactor.

Name: Lightning Rod
Damage: 44
Use Time: 24 (Fast, Autofire)
Velocity: 16
Crafting: 13x Cybernetic Bar, 4x Crystal Reactor @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
Fires super-fast lightning bolts that pierce twice, with more damage and speed than the Adamantite Staff.

Name: Tetrabolt Reactor
Damage: 36
Use Time: 58 (Snail)
Mana: 26
Crafting: 15x Cybernetic Bar, 4x Crystal Reactor @ Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
Fires quadruple lightning bolts that pierce infinitely, but does not autofire and is very slow.

No sprites yet, sorry.
Name: True Dusk's Vengeance
Damage: 38
Use Time: 18 (Fast, Autofire)
Mana: 22
Crafting: 1x Dusk's Vengeance, 1x Essence of Darkness
The upgrade to Dusk's Vengeance; fires lime green bolts that pierce three times and inflict Cursed Inferno. Fires rapidly, but the projectiles themselves are slow.

Name: True Unholy Destructor
Damage: 46
Crafting: 1x Unholy Destructor, 1x Essence of Anarchy
And likewise, the upgrade to the Unholy Destructor; slowly fires powerful ichor bolts, which pierce three times and inflict Ichor, and additionally move faster than normal.

Name: True Novic Tetrastaff (Wait, what?)
Use Time: 36 (Very Slow, Autofire)
Crafting: 1x Nova Bolt, 1x Prismatic Tetrastaff, 1x Essence of Light (ohhhh)
Since I couldn't decide how I wanted to handle the anti-evil staves, I just decided to go this route. Using an Essence of Light to bind the two together, we have a fusion of the functionality of the two weapons, delivering spreads of 4 potent multicolored bolts, each of which explodes into smaller fragments (about 3 per bolt) with 1/4 of the damage upon impacting something. Does not pierce.

Name: True Arc Reactor
Damage: 36
Use Time: 34 (Slow, Autofire)
Velocity: 14
Crafting: 1x Lightning Rod, 1x Tetrabolt Reactor, 1x Essence of Order
A fusion of the two Cyber staves of sorts, the True Arc Reactor fires potent lightning bolts that pierce infinitely, but additionally leave behind trails of cyphers, which each do 13 damage and last about a second. Bolts will only last for about a second and a half, but will bounce off walls infinitely until the timer runs out.

Still no sprites.
Name: Terra Scepter
Mana: 28
Crafting: 1x True Dusk's Vengeance, 1x True Novic Tetrastaff, 1x Balanced Essence (Corruption/Hallow)
And here we have the first of the terra staves- the Terra Scepter. Like Tobbvald's Terra Blade, this exhibits traits from both component weapons, but this time a bit different. The Terra Scepter fires dual bolts, one cursed flame bolt from True Dusk's Vengeance and one novic bolt from the True Novic Tetrastaff, both of which fly straight forward and move in a tight "circle" around each other. (If it were in a 3D medium, the bolts would move in a double helix pattern.) Both bolts do the same amount of damage, with the cursed flame bolt inflicting cursed inferno and the novic bolt shattering into fragments.

Name: Terra Rod
Damage: 62
Use Time: 40 (Very Slow)
Velocity: 16
Mana: 30
Crafting: 1x True Unholy Destructor, 1x True Arc Reactor, 1x Balanced Essence (Crimson/Cyber)
And here's the second, the equivalent to the Terra Cleaver. This one instead fires powerful single bolts that act similar to those from the Arc Reactor, piercing and bouncing infinitely, and leaving an Ichor-inflicting trail behind. The trail does 24 damage, and instead last two seconds, while the bolts themselves last to and a half seconds instead of one and a half.

(No sprites right now)
Name: Chlorophyte Scepter
Damage: 52
Use Time: 12 (Very Fast, Autofire)
Crafting: 14x Chlorophyte Bar, 8x Ectoplasm @ Mythril Anvil
Rapidly fires single magic bolts that can bounce once and pierce three times, having high damage and cast rate, but slower velocity.

Name: Chlorophyte Splitstaff
Damage: 35
Mana: 28
Crafting: 16x Chlorophyte Bar, 10x Ectoplasm
Rapidly fires sets of five magic bolts in a 90 degree spread that can bounce and pierce three times total. Lower damage, but more room-flooding potential.

Feedback would be much appreciated. (I have ideas for potentially going to Chlorophyte, but haven't decided whether or not to go quite that far. After all, by that point you're likely to have better magic weapons.)

Last edited:
So you're making suggestions around the Cyber too? I love seeing that.

The natural progression of Hardmode bars and gems doesn't make it easy to sprite, that's for sure. You did well, though, all things considered!
I think it would be easier to use Crystal Shards instead of Gems. Not only does it make more sense in terms of same-tier crafting materials, but you have an excuse to use colors that actually work with the metal you're using.

So you're making suggestions around the Cyber too? I love seeing that.
Of course. I'm trying to get the whole "Cyber is awesome" point across. :D

The natural progression of Hardmode bars and gems doesn't make it easy to sprite, that's for sure. You did well, though, all things considered!
I do agree, but that won't stop me from complaining about how hard Titanium is to work with. Too many colors. D:

I think it would be easier to use Crystal Shards instead of Gems. Not only does it make more sense in terms of same-tier crafting materials, but you have an excuse to use colors that actually work with the metal you're using.
See the problem with me is I like to make things difficult for myself. This is a prime example of that. Some of the staves (Cobalt and Mythril come to mind) came out really well with the standard gems, some of them just made sense (Titanium, primarily- or should I say, Tritanium), and the others I just went with what was available. Personally though I'm a big fan of direct upgrades, which is why the upgrade options for the six major Hardmode staves exist.

I probably will change out the recipes for those six, though I'm likely to leave most of their gem colors intact, with the obvious exception being the Emerald on that Ori staff- really just doesn't look right.

EDIT: Four out of eight sprites have been tweaked; Ada and Palladium had some minor hue adjustments to their gems, Oricalcum received a completely new gem color that looks nicer (the staff itself still bugs me though, but I doubt I'll manage to fix that), and the modification to the Tritanium Staff is so small you probably won't even notice it. Crafting recipes for the hardmode ore staves have also been tweaked, though I haven't touched the Hallowed/Cybernetic ones due to a disinterest in changing their recipes. I like Prisma Gems.

Last edited:
New stuff- the hardmode ore staves have had their recipes adjusted to accommodate Beam Reactors so as not to leave out Cyber (a major oversight of mine), removed the Rainbow Bricks from the Prisma Gem crafting recipe and instead allowed the bricks in question to be crafted with them, added a new set of Chloro magic weapons (post-Plantera since I couldn't decide how to handle the gem part- feedback is welcome), and a new weapon that I still haven't decided whether or not I'm serious about.

No new sprites yet, although I have some ideas for the Hallowed ones- expect some later today.

@Sodapone needs to finish my seal of approval( and evevyone elses requests) so I will just like and say "You've got my seal of approval" "ARGH, NO" (Giant seal kills Ian)

I enjoy these staves! :D
What if the Crimtane Staff could fire using your life if you run out of mana? Works well with both the slower firing rate (so you don't accidentally kill or seriously maim yourself) and Crimson Armor (for people who like hybrid play).

my problem with this suggestion is that all of the sprites are basically recolored versions of each other. every item/weapon in terraria is unique in it's sprite, and making them all have a similar sprite is really lazy. plus, it makes you look like a console terraria dev. that doesn't care about unique sprites

my problem with this suggestion is that all of the sprites are basically recolored versions of each other. every item/weapon in terraria is unique in it's sprite, and making them all have a similar sprite is really lazy. plus, it makes you look like a console terraria dev. that doesn't care about unique sprites
You do realize

you're criticizing the most idiotic thing you could given that every single gem staff is basically a recolor of the amethyst staff

I was literally keeping the gem staves I made consistent with the originals without actually just completely :red:ing recoloring them. 505 just :red:ing recolored without adding anything.

I hope you realize that, while I may have been a bit harsh that is literally the most insulting thing you can ever say to a spriter (at least in this context)

(no but seriously do you have any idea how completely insensitive that comment was)

Last edited:
Titanium has the same problem that I had with my Spectre items - it's iridescent. So the shading on it is weird. I usually adopted the rule that none of the three "iridescent colors" could be adjacent to each other. It worked out pretty well. Also, I think that the Adamantite stave would look better if it had white in the middle part of the handle.

EDIT: Whoops. Forgot this.

RXqBtvH.png

Scironex Seal of Approval

Last edited:
Both the suggestion and sprites looks great. Seeing as you seem to have tied the Hardmode Ore staves to a certain gem type, you could consider requiring one (or three) of those gems.

Both the suggestion and sprites looks great. Seeing as you seem to have tied the Hardmode Ore staves to a certain gem type, you could consider requiring one (or three) of those gems.
If you're referring to making the original gems part of the crafting recipes, that was actually originally planned (the Orichalcum staff used to have emeralds, which looked just awful), but if you look at some of the first replies to this thread you can see the general train of thought that lead to that idea being scrapped.

That reminds me, I said I'd make Hallowed and Cyber staves, I should do that sometime this century.

My idea for a start-mode staff, instead of the wood staff, would be a Glass Staff.
To be more in line with the current gem staffs, it would be made with x10 wood and x8 glass.
the weakest gem staff does 14 damage and uses 3 mana. The Glass Staff should be around 10 damage and 2 or 3 mana.

It's been four months, and I've added a new set of staves to the mix- one for the jungle, one for the Underworld, and then Night's Edge and Wrath of the Gods equivalents, and it kinda just went up from there. I haven't made the sprites yet, but that's a thing I'm planning to do.

I'll also be adding Contagion/Covert versions sometime in the future, to complete the set, and then some equivalent of Ria. Not sure how I'll do that, yet.

So, because Gray summoned me, I feel the need to voice my sincerest support for this thread. It's carrying on the legacy of the gem staves - providing powerful weapons where there just isn't enough power at first. They're great stepping stones, and these look like they'd be too. Here are some sprites for you! I may be able to make more as well.
Acorn_Staff.png
Acorn Staff
Hellfire_Staff.png
Infernal Bolt

Support! Just a few things though, the Mythril Staff kind of looks like the Frost Staff, the Prismatic Tetra is quite an upgrade from the Nova Bolt, but only requires 2 more Hallowed Bars. Maybe throw in another ingredient? No ideas for what, and this is the same for the cyber alternatives. Terra weapons kinda lost me, but I really like everything, off to read Shards! :)

Why not try your hand at a Hyperkinetic Staff (it will be difficult, as the Hyperkinetic Staves will have to do some ability that is not a summon or similar, though it might expand on the idea of the Hyperkinetic tier. Read the Hyperkinetic Armor suggestion for an idea on what it is about.)

Back
Top Bottom