Game Mechanics More Death Stuff: Die With Style

Do you like this idea!

• Yes! This is cool!

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • YES! BLOOD! DEATH! VIOLENCE! KILL!

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • No. I don't like this.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • No. It would increase the ESRB rating of a game targeted specifically at young children.

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Dusty Sinclair

Headless Horseman
Hey, gang. Here's a little idea that popped into my head while mowing the lawn. I was thinking to myself, "You know, Terraria hasn't created enough homicidal maniacs yet. Let's change that! :dryadhappy:" Yes, I think in TCF emoticons.

Anyway, let's cut to the chase. Death should be less generic. I kinda get tired of exploding after a while. I mean, we can still explode, but these are some things that could happen before you explode (or you could just not explode. I don't have a preference), depending on what killed you. So, without further ado...

Death!
  • Decapitation: Your head falls off and rolls away, and a little fountain of blood squirts up from your neck. You have a few seconds to wander aimlessly around before the Game Over screen appears, like a sad little decapitated chicken before it's taken away to become KFC.
  • Freezing: This can happen if you're killed by ice monsters. Your body becomes frozen solid, then shatters.
  • Drowing: Your skin turns blue (if it isn't blue already) and you float to the surface. Maybe some fish come to pick you clean.
  • Burning: Happens when you jump in lava or burn to death. The flames consume your flesh, leaving behind a black skeleton.
  • Shark Food: If you get killed by a shark, it'll either swallow your corpse whole or bite it apart little by little. Fun.
  • Already Dead: You can still move, just not attack or pick up items. Sooner or later, your head will explode at a random time.
  • The Consumption: You'll start turning green (again, if your skin isn't already that color) and coughing out blood and whatnot. Then you'll die. Poison and Venom will do that to ya.
  • Spikes: You'll be impaled on them. Nothing else to say.
  • Sudden Stop: Depending on the distance of the fall, dying of fall damage may cause your legs to explode or just destroy your entire body altogether. Or you could flatten like a pancake.
  • Infected: If a zombie kills you, you'll turn into a zombie.
  • Singularity: If you try spamming the Rod of Discord, your body will collapse in on itself like a black hole.
  • Game Over: Rarely, your character will freeze, then jump straight up and fall down off the screen upon death.
  • Penetration: The Mourning Wood will impale you on one of its long, firm branches if it kills you with melee damage.
  • No Escape: If you try to use a Magic Mirror or Recall Potion during the fight with the Wall of Flesh, your character will commit suicide with one of the weapons in your inventory.
Blood Splatters!
When you die, blood splatters stay on the surrounding blocks and any background walls. If you die in water, this will be a red cloud instead. The blood will disappear with the body parts.

One more thing- for anyone who wants to go out in the traditional way (traditional for Terraria, at least), an option to turn this on/off will be given upon first time startup as well as in the options menu.

Th-the-th-th-the-th-that's all, folks! Tell me if you like it. Maybe I'll add more if I think of some (and if enough people don't hate this).

Last edited:
This is to graphic, might want a Dying with Style On/Off
Yeah, if this is added, I want this part too.

I also perfer Sonic-styled drowning more, but I don't know how that would work in Terraria since water in the 2d sonic games were in the foreground of solid tiles, and Terraria's water is not.

Idea, what if there are two or three deaths for the rod of discord?
Like your character's legs replacing their head(but they still have the original pair of legs(Keeping in line with the original death message)), and/or them suddenly turning into a glitchy, buggy mess that progressively gets worse before they suddenly disappear?

Or how about your character simply not appearing?
All the loot drops there and that, but your character himself does not appear.

Idea, what if there are two or three deaths for the rod of discord?
Like your character's legs replacing their head(but they still have the original pair of legs(Keeping in line with the original death message)), and/or them suddenly turning into a glitchy, buggy mess that progressively gets worse before they suddenly disappear?
on a server I lagged when I died and my body looked like that because it was half way through the death animation. It scared the hell out of me too.

Melee death because of EoC's 2nd phase/EoW/WoF/Spazmatism/Plantera 2nd phase: the boss eats you, then starts chomping.

Laser projectile-type death: your body progressively gets disintegrated (mars attacks reference)

Lava, if you enter it (not if you are fully submerged): you slowly sink

Scyte/blade attack: you get snapped in half vertically

Unicorn: the unicorn empales you and continues running with you.

No support. This is definitely going to bump the age rating up to 18+, and quite frankly even I wouldn't want to see my character slaughtered like this.

Yeah, good thing Terraria is an indie game! I'll support this just cause it seems quite humorous for some reason.

No support. This is definitely going to bump the age rating up to 18+, and quite frankly even I wouldn't want to see my character slaughtered like this.
Limbo's violence is more realistic and graphic, and that's a T rated game. I think 18+ is a huge stretch.
Really? Pixellated deaths are gonna bump the rating to M? You're joking, right?
Not even M. 18+ is Adults Only. Adults. Only.

You do know that it's already rated T, right? That's teen. As in 13+.

The rating chart is right here for you guys.
AppRatingsChart_sf1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom