Weapons & Equip More early-game bullets!

ItsTheKais

Steampunker
If you wield a bow and haven't dismantled the Wall of Flesh yet, you still have a bunch of options for ammo. Prior to hardmode, arrows come in Wooden, Flaming, Frostburn, Jester's, Unholy, and Hellfire varieties, as well as Spectral if you're playing on a console. But if you pack a firearm, you only have Musket Balls, Meteor Shot, and Silver Bullets to choose from, which is a somewhat claustrophobic selection. I propose the following bullets to serve as options for pre-hardmode gunslingers:

bulletHot.png
Hot Shot
Crafting: 1 Musket Ball = 1 Hot Shot @ Campfire
  • Damage: 5
  • Velocity: 4
  • Knockback: 2
  • Inflicts "On Fire!" on target
Warm up your bullets in your fire to give your foes a nasty damage-over-time surprise! It has a lower base damage than other bullets, making it more effective with guns that fire slowly for high damage, such as the Musket.

bulletStarglow.png
Starglow Bullets
Crafting: 50 Musket Balls + 1 Fallen Star = 50 Starglow Bullets @ Iron or Lead Anvil
  • Damage: 10
  • Inflicts "Shine" on target
An unorthodox solution to on-the-go lighting: make your victims the light source! Enemies hit with these bullets give off a bright glow, and the bullets themselves are pretty bright as well. Good for tracking enemies that burrow. Also has the highest base damage of all the pre-hardmode bullets.

bulletCaltrop.png
Caltrop Bullets
Crafting: 50 Musket Balls + 1 Spiky Ball = 50 Caltrop Bullets @ Iron or Lead Anvil
  • Damage: 7
  • Velocity: 3
  • Knockback: 0
  • Inflicts "Slow" on target
For when a monster just won't sit still so you can shoot them. These bullets cause the target to slow down, and their nonexistant knockback prevents them from being blasted away by the shots, making them easy pickings.

bulletHazy.png
Hazy Bullets
Crafting: 50 Musket Balls + 1 Jungle Spores = 50 Hazy Bullets @ Iron or Lead Anvil
  • Damage: 6
  • Velocity: 2
  • Bursts into a spore cloud
These bullets make area attacks possible for budding gunners. Upon flying for two-thirds of a second, or impacting an enemy, they explode into a spore cloud five blocks in diameter. This cloud persists for about two seconds, dealing constant damage to enemies within, up to a maximum of four hits. Their limited air time combined with their slow speed makes them unsuitable for long ranges, though.

Last edited:
This is a really nice concept and if this were to be implemented I would potentially use it in a new survival. Good format, good suggestion.

Nice idea and good sprites. I thought about poison bullets a while back(stinger+50 bullets) but that would probably be too difficult to craft and useless compared to the hotshots, maybe poison arrows ?

These are quite nice ideas! I'd be happy to see these implemented into the game in 1.3. Not too overpowered, nothing underpowered.

This is one of the best suggestions I've seen in a while! Playing ranger is pretty fun, and it would be neat to have more bullets. I have some suggestions. The Starglow bullets should make a star fall down onto the target like Holy Arrows (instead of applying Shine, which is technically a buff), although you may need to make this a hardmode item if you do this to avoid balance issues (which means not an early game bullet, but oh well). Actually, maybe not, because you do need fallen stars to craft them, but it would still be OP with the Minishark... Anyays, I also think that something should be used to craft the Hot Shots instead of just a free buff to all your Musket Balls for just a Campfire- possibly a lava bucket, (and the lava bucket would be turned into a bucket maybe)? Sorry for the length, lol, I just like to make myself clear.

Last edited:
Love these concepts! The only suggestion I have would be the Hot Shot. Instead of a campfire, the crafting station be the furnace, and for the sake crafting throw in one torch. So 50 Musket Balls + 1 Torch = 50 Hot Shots @ Furnace

Those Starglow bullets are the mostest awesomest* thing I've heard in a while, anbd tho others sound good too. Total support.
Though I'll have to agree to iXerro, the Hot Shots should be made with a torch or something.

* Yes, I know those aren't real words.

index.php
Hot Shot
Warm up your bullets in your fire to give your foes a nasty damage-over-time surprise! It has a lower base damage than other bullets, making it more effective with guns that fire slowly for high damage, such as the Musket.
There's this other thread by me about something very similar to this. Mind if I add "Hot Shot" as another alt. name?
index.php
Starglow Bullets
Crafting: 50 Musket Balls + 1 Fallen Star = 50 Starglow Bullets @ Iron or Lead Anvil
An unorthodox solution to on-the-go lighting: make your victims the light source! Enemies hit with these bullets give off a bright glow, and the bullets themselves are pretty bright as well. Good for tracking enemies that burrow. Also has the highest base damage of all the pre-hardmode bullets.
An original idea, nice. Bullets could use a Jester's Arrows counterpart.
index.php
Caltrop Bullets
Crafting: 50 Musket Balls + 1 Spiky Ball = 50 Caltrop Bullets @ Iron or Lead Anvil
For when a monster just won't sit still so you can shoot them. These bullets cause the target to slow down, and their nonexistant knockback prevents them from being blasted away by the shots, making them easy pickings.
Slowing effects would be difficult to implement on enemies, given how various their movement behavior are.

What about making it sort of like a flechette bullet which spilts into 3 40% damage fragments in midair?

Also, these could inflict the Bleeding Debuff, should it be turned into a PvE debuff that does damage.
index.php
Hazy Bullets
Crafting: 50 Musket Balls + 1 Jungle Spores = 50 Hazy Bullets @ Iron or Lead Anvil
These bullets make area attacks possible for budding gunners. Upon flying for two-thirds of a second, or impacting an enemy, they explode into a spore cloud five blocks in diameter. This cloud persists for about two seconds, dealing constant damage to enemies within, up to a maximum of four hits. Their limited air time combined with their slow speed makes them unsuitable for long ranges, though.
I don't they deal less damage than Musket Balls. Yeah, I get how it's supposed to balance the repeated hitting, but it doesn't change much when it comes to total damage dealt. I think these should deal 8 damage, but have the Spore Cloud deal 50% damage. Also, the spore cloud is extremely large and would result in an insane amount of spore spam. Given that this is more about DoT than AoE, a small Spore Cloud the size of the Chlorophyte Partisan's would be ideal in my mind, still being effective against small groups of enemies that pass through.

Also, there needs to be Poison Arrows made of Hornet Stingers as an Arrow counterpart.

Great idea, I always feel like using bows pre-hardmode is much more fun and effective.
Doughnuttttttt apporves.png

If you wield a bow and haven't dismantled the Wall of Flesh yet, you still have a bunch of options for ammo. Prior to hardmode, arrows come in Wooden, Flaming, Frostburn, Jester's, Unholy, and Hellfire varieties, as well as Spectral if you're playing on a console. But if you pack a firearm, you only have Musket Balls, Meteor Shot, and Silver Bullets to choose from, which is a somewhat claustrophobic selection. I propose the following bullets to serve as options for pre-hardmode gunslingers:

View attachment 2483 Hot Shot

View attachment 2484 Starglow Bullets

View attachment 2485 Caltrop Bullets

View attachment 2486 Hazy Bullets
Would you mind if I used these ideas in my mod? These are great!

Back
Top Bottom