Weapons & Equip More functionally diverse magic

Xemgoa

Plantera
So after looking over the current magic spells we have thus far, I'm quite impress with what is done so far.

But there is always the potential for more, though I'm thinking more a long the terms of functionality.

I was thinking of spells always being a projectile, would it be nice if magic could be used in combat in a myriad of other ways? I was thinking a few spell types and this is what I would like to suggest for any upcoming or further planned Terraria update:

• Spells that trigger when any form of interaction is made to them. Like spells that create an explosion or deploy an effect on a target when they walk over or against where the spell is laid. Like creating a magical rune on a block or two that activates when walked over or brushed up against.

• Summons that could function differently from the normal ones that get in the enemies face or sit in place as a hefty turret. Like some summons that will kite the enemy, in exchange for being able to be harmed and eventually; killed, but being able to draw the enemies attention away. Or summons that help with everyday, menial tasks. Like being able to spot a single mineral ore, or help tend to flower pots that have grown plants and replants them on harvest, but only within range of the player. Summons that can work like a guard that remain in one place indefinitely, but being mortal and doesn't warp to the player under any circumstance but to defend a location from any aggressive npcs.

• Spells that doesn't have to cause direct harm to a target or two, but turn a specific target into a harmful obstacle for both you and it's allies. Like using a spell to summon a iron ball around a target that only hurts any of his allies who are near him, as it revolves around his body. Or lighting him on fire, that will spread the fire on contact. Or temporarily make it turn on its allies. Perhaps a spell that can let you possess one target at a time and use their strengths to your advantage?

• Spells that can alternate properties of anything they make contact with... like expending mana to make vegetation grow faster, heal you and your surrounding friends when in range, cause blocks, objects, backwall, etc to be affected in a plethora of ways (shooting at a dirt block, enchanting it to send a jut of earth straight up from the ground to piercing targets when walked over, or cause the back wall to form a spearhead and jab any enemy that walks in front of it.) The Ice rod is one I can think of as being an inspiration to this.

This could be broadened on big scope and put some new content on the table for avid spell users.

So after looking over the current magic spells we have thus far, I'm quite impress with what is done so far.

But there is always the potential for more, though I'm thinking more a long the terms of functionality.

I was thinking of spells always being a projectile, would it be nice if magic could be used in combat in a myriad of other ways? I was thinking a few spell types and this is what I would like to suggest for any upcoming or further planned Terraria update:

• Spells that trigger when any form of interaction is made to them. Like spells that create an explosion or deploy an effect on a target when they walk over or against where the spell is laid. Like creating a magical rune on a block or two that activates when walked over or brushed up against.

• Summons that could function differently from the normal ones that get in the enemies face or sit in place as a hefty turret. Like some summons that will kite the enemy, in exchange for being able to be harmed and eventually; killed, but being able to draw the enemies attention away. Or summons that help with everyday, menial tasks. Like being able to spot a single mineral ore, or help tend to flower pots that have grown plants and replants them on harvest, but only within range of the player. Summons that can work like a guard that remain in one place indefinitely, but being mortal and doesn't warp to the player under any circumstance but to defend a location from any aggressive npcs.

• Spells that doesn't have to cause direct harm to a target or two, but turn a specific target into a harmful obstacle for both you and it's allies. Like using a spell to summon a iron ball around a target that only hurts any of his allies who are near him, as it revolves around his body. Or lighting him on fire, that will spread the fire on contact. Or temporarily make it turn on its allies. Perhaps a spell that can let you possess one target at a time and use their strengths to your advantage?

• Spells that can alternate properties of anything they make contact with... like expending mana to make vegetation grow faster, heal you and your surrounding friends when in range, cause blocks, objects, backwall, etc to be affected in a plethora of ways (shooting at a dirt block, enchanting it to send a jut of earth straight up from the ground to piercing targets when walked over, or cause the back wall to form a spearhead and jab any enemy that walks in front of it.) The Ice rod is one I can think of as being an inspiration to this.

This could be broadened on big scope and put some new content on the table for avid spell users.

YUP.

I like this, support. :)
I normally use magic weapons in most of my playthroughs and i have become a bit bored with the current selection of spells
It will be cool if @Redigit or @Cenx could implement this

I like this, support. :)
I normally use magic weapons in most of my playthroughs and i have become a bit bored with the current selection of spells
It will be cool if @Redigit or @Cenx could implement this

It would help if they could have a glance through here, and see what inspires them. I'm more than happy work a list of a few ideas if there is enough encouragement.

Last edited:
I lik this, support
seel of approovale.png

I think this is likely not to get support unless, say... you were to get the attention of others by asking them to have a view of this link...

Otherwise, I appreciate it, but I'm worried this may annoy someone with this being bumped up without any indepth conversation.

Thank you though!

I think this is likely not to get support unless, say... you were to get the attention of others by asking them to have a view of this link...

Otherwise, I appreciate it, but I'm worried this may annoy someone with this being bumped up without any indepth conversation.

Thank you though!
Make a banner and I will put it in my signature.

These are Amazing Ideas! I love them all and would absolutely love to see them in the new update as soon as possible! You have my support for every single one of these ideas. Nothing could be better than bunkering down laying some hefty traps and some large turrets before summoning a boss. You bring happiness to your fellow mages.

These are Amazing Ideas! I love them all and would absolutely love to see them in the new update as soon as possible! You have my support for every single one of these ideas. Nothing could be better than bunkering down laying some hefty traps and some large turrets before summoning a boss. You bring happiness to your fellow mages.

Thank you, R3aper! Someones gotta spread the magic~ ^^ *bad pun is bad.*

I hate to be the one to give negative criticism especially when everyone else seems to support you so much but I find some of these spells either game breaking or useless the first part talks about how spells could be used to lay traps or deselect blocks, this can already be done by actuators and other mechanical contraptions (dart traps, explosive blocks, etc) and because of pressure plates you can make it so that you don't activate the trap (for instance yellow pressure plates only activate when stepped on by an enemy)...

You also mention that there should be summons that should be able to cause the enemy to ignore you and be kited away by a minion that would ultimately give its life for you, rather than implementing a completely new mechanic why not work with the confusion debuff (in my opinion a better alternative would be something like a spell that causes the confusion debuff similar to the Golden Shower) not to mention that summons that help with everyday menial tasks such as: spotting single mineral ores, or harvesting crops that are ready to be harvested would be somewhat useless the spotting of a single ore would be in itself pointless as the very minion would be outweighed by the spelunker potion not to mention that the minion would likely search for any ore including undesirable ones such as copper, harvesting crops is pointless because of the new mount being able to function also like a pickaxe meaning that you'd be able to semi-automatically harvest crops and summons already exist that allow for you to protect your npcs from aggressive foes, they're called the staves of the queen spider and frost hydra

I completely support the idea of turning an enemy into a weapon but it would need to be implemented as a debuff not a mage specific item (and I use mage collectively for any type of magic user)

Your final addition to the game would be elemental attributes in magic though I agree with the idea of more items similar to the Ice Rod the examples you provide seem to once again reflect the idea of using traps and actuators, simply obtaining traps from the dungeon and selecting/deselecting blocks could be an alternative to adding these spells

In the end it all boils down to; will adding this make the class I'm specifying it for overpowered (yes) and in doing so you completely destroy the pvp aspect of Terraria (although you don't seem to indulge in multiplayer aspects too much) I won't lie items like the Paladin's Shield are overpowered but only if the player with it has teammates who need that extra defense boost, take away the Paladin's teammates and boom all it takes is a few well placed attacks and he's dead, take away your magi's teammates and what do you have? An unstoppable nightmare that destroys multiplayer, Terraria much like the real world runs a system of Checks and balances and before adding something into the system everyone has to ask; how does this affect anyone else who won't obtain this

If you find any inconsistencies or think I need to explain myself simply reply

I think you could have spelt a few words properly and need to work your grammar a bit but I understood what you said. You do have legitimate points, and I like the criticism, I welcome it as long as it is sensical. Let me break it down a bit so I have an explanation for each one I choose from your conversation. I hope you won't take them negatively and take them to heart of having a good conversation and a good, hearty friendly argument to work out the kinks and unfinished.

• "I find some of these spells either game breaking or useless the first part talks about how spells could be used to lay traps or deselect blocks, this can already be done by actuators and other mechanical contraptions (dart traps, explosive blocks, etc) and because of pressure plates you can make it so that you don't activate the trap (for instance yellow pressure plates only activate when stepped on by an enemy)..."
A: That is true, but dart traps can't be rotated to fire in more than one direction, and I'd like magic to take a part in building these things normal, completely naturally-made traps can't. I don't expect them to be OP, but beneficial in one way-- with a trade off for each kind of spell.

• "You also mention that there should be summons that should be able to cause the enemy to ignore you and be kited away by a minion that would ultimately give its life for you, rather than implementing a completely new mechanic why not work with the confusion debuff (in my opinion a better alternative would be something like a spell that causes the confusion debuff similar to the Golden Shower) not to mention that summons that help with everyday menial tasks such as: spotting single mineral ores, or harvesting crops that are ready to be harvested would be somewhat useless the spotting of a single ore would be in itself pointless as the very minion would be outweighed by the spelunker potion not to mention that the minion would likely search for any ore including undesirable ones such as copper, harvesting crops is pointless because of the new mount being able to function also like a pickaxe meaning that you'd be able to semi-automatically harvest crops and summons already exist that allow for you to protect your npcs from aggressive foes, they're called the staves of the queen spider and frost hydra"
A: That is true, but I'd like them to be more dynamic, breath taking, even if its gimmicky or is useful. I understand there is a confusion debuff, but I'd like summons to kite enemies, being able to draw a single or small herd of enemies away while waning them down: in exchange for not exactly being resilient and being de-summoned should they take enough damage from being hurt. And although the spotting single ore minion would be handy if you just don't want to brew potions and are incredibly insightful if there is one: there is likely to be more. And it would be handy in the beginning for new players who again don't want to do a lot of prep with potions who might stumble across this and the minion reveals a single, closest node of ore, again leaving it to the players intuition that there might be more where the single one is.

Otherwise, the minions that help with more simpler tasks is actually up for preference, not to be seen as bad as a whole. I can surmise they have no to little combat ability, instead they can deal with somethings that are annoying to do on an everyday task. I personally would like minions I can summon while I work in my brewing shop who will pluck and reseed the closest flower pot from me should the plant fully develop, and deposit it in a specified chest.

The Hydra and Q. Spider do exist, but then again, I may not want to if I decide to. This may seem foolish given how Terraria functions as it is, this is why I suggest more diverse magic: exercising some more interesting and useful ways in AND out of combat!

• "I completely support the idea of turning an enemy into a weapon but it would need to be implemented as a debuff not a mage specific item (and I use mage collectively for any type of magic user)"
A: This is true, and I can wholeheartedly agree. It would have to be a debuff if you could effect enemies in a way that makes them a danger to his own allies. Thanks for pointing that out! =J

• "Your final addition to the game would be elemental attributes in magic though I agree with the idea of more items similar to the Ice Rod the examples you provide seem to once again reflect the idea of using traps and actuators, simply obtaining traps from the dungeon and selecting/deselecting blocks could be an alternative to adding these spells."
A: I can disagree again, since I said in an answer among the other questions. I'd like magic to have it's role on the field instead of just a destructive force. That is how it is 'now', but its possible when given a chance and exercised to see what else can be done, it's subject to balancing and tweaking so it's fun and not a burden, but fair and doesn't make anyone using them overpowered.

• "In the end it all boils down to; will adding this make the class I'm specifying it for overpowered (yes) and in doing so you completely destroy the pvp aspect of Terraria (although you don't seem to indulge in multiplayer aspects too much) I won't lie items like the Paladin's Shield are overpowered but only if the player with it has teammates who need that extra defense boost, take away the Paladin's teammates and boom all it takes is a few well placed attacks and he's dead, take away your magi's teammates and what do you have? An unstoppable nightmare that destroys multiplayer, Terraria much like the real world runs a system of Checks and balances and before adding something into the system everyone has to ask; how does this affect anyone else who won't obtain this."
A: I do, I have over 4,007 hours in TF2. I just never liked to PVP in terraria, and again these suggested items will have a few knots before it's PVP friendly, were humans-- were clever than we give credit for ourselves. They can be tweaked to allow a more fair, PVP engaging experience instead of an overpowered piece of "solves everything, I win". I wonder if I should of suggested that all vanilla items in game have a separate "profile" for a lack of words. They retain their normal stats during normal gameplay, but when entering in any PVP action, they switch to more PVP friendly stats until the PVP session ends. Instead of making them balanced as a whole for both.

Back
Top Bottom