• PC NEWS: 1.4.2.3 update is out! More info here. Report bugs here
  • CONSOLE 1.4 LAUNCHES SEP 30: The official launch date for Journey's End to arrive on Xbox and PlayStation is September 30th! Click here for more info. The plan is to have the update on Switch out later this year. Stay up to date with console news here.
  • MOBILE NEWS: Stay up to date with the latest mobile news here. Report mobile bugs here

More Items from Mechanical Yreasure Bags! I'm

Which is your favorite?

• All of them!

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Mechanical Spectacles

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Probe Staff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prime Arm Pack

• Mechanical Spectacles and Probe Staff

• Probe Staff and Prime Arm Pack

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Prime Arm Pack and Mechanical Spectacles

• None. (Specify why.)

• Total voters

Huzbubber Tim

Ice Queen
So I have been playing in expert mode for a while now, and I just defeated all the mechanical bosses. I really liked the mechanical minecart that I got, but thought that the mechanical bosses should have some drops besides crafting materials. I have come up with an item for each of the bosses, and I will list them below.

Mechanical Spectacles:
The Mechanical Spectacles are an accessory found in the Twin's treasure bag. When they are equipped, the player is able to see an extra 5 tiles in each direction. The spectacles also allow the player to spot enemies in a way similar to the hunter potion. Clicking on an enemy highlighted by the Spectacles will cause the Spectacles to either shoot lasers or cursed flames at the enemy (laser dweapon es 50 damage, flames do 30 with effect for 7 seconds.) These attacks do not pass through blocks and can be used once a second.

Probe Staff:
The Probe Staff is a unique summon weapon found in The Destroyer's treasure bag. When it is used, it will summon a probe minion at the cost of 30 mana. Probes use up 2 minion slots. Probes will follow the player and shoot piercing lasers at enemies, dealing 45 damage. The lasers shot have slight homing capabilities and can pierce 3 enemies.

The probes, however, also have a unique ability. When the holds down right click while holding the Probe Staff, the probes will gather above the player's head and shoot a powerful red laser beam, similar to the Last Prism's full beam. The beam deals 40 damage per second. This will cost 20 mana per second, but can only be active for 10 seconds before recharging for 30 seconds. Every additional Probe adds 2 damage to the beam.

(IMHO, I think that the Probe Staff beam could use some balancing, so help with that would be accepted!)

Prime Arm Pack:
The Prime Arm Pack is an accessory found in Skeletron Prime's treasure bag. When it is equipped, four mechanical arms will wrap around the player. When the player is attacking an enemy, the pack has a chance to attack the enemy.

When attacking, there is a 20% chance of firing a laser (50 damage), shooting a non-destructive bomb (70 damage), slashing a saw at the enemy (50 damage) or stabbing at the enemy with a vice (60 damage.)

Thanks for reading my suggestion! Please let me know what you think in the comments!

Lord Garak

Retinazer
Hard buffs to view distance are tricky because they interfere with a user's zoom setting. A spectacle attack seems unnecessary when one could simply attack the enemy with a normal weapon.

As far as I know there are no expert drops which function as direct weapons (beyond the Bone Glove, which is a niche item). A summoning staff feels out of place.

I like the general concept of the prime pack, but constant thorns infringe on the Turtle Armor, and the simple copy of Prime's weapons seem... dull. Not quite sure what would fit more, but I do think a defensive accessory would be in order.

Huzbubber Tim

Ice Queen
Hard buffs to view distance are tricky because they interfere with a user's zoom setting. A spectacle attack seems unnecessary when one could simply attack the enemy with a normal weapon.

As far as I know there are no expert drops which function as direct weapons (beyond the Bone Glove, which is a niche item). A summoning staff feels out of place.

I like the general concept of the prime pack, but constant thorns infringe on the Turtle Armor, and the simple copy of Prime's weapons seem... dull. Not quite sure what would fit more, but I do think a defensive accessory would be in order.

Ok, thanks for the feedback! I just have a few things about it.

For the Spectacles, I do not quite know what I was thinking there since I did this all in the morning. I am probably going to completely change those soon, but to what I am unsure of.

For the Probe Staff, I felt that it would be unique to have a weapon obtained through treasure bags, as I have seen many mods that do it, and it just seems to give the weapon a special place in the game.

For the Arm Pack, I don't think it rivals the turtle armor because it just has a chance to attack the enemy, and doesn't do constant thorns. Also, there is a chance that it could miss or not even attack at all.

Anyways though, thanks for the feedback!

Lord Garak

Retinazer
Ok, thanks for the feedback! I just have a few things about it.

For the Spectacles, I do not quite know what I was thinking there since I did this all in the morning. I am probably going to completely change those soon, but to what I am unsure of.

For the Probe Staff, I felt that it would be unique to have a weapon obtained through treasure bags, as I have seen many mods that do it, and it just seems to give the weapon a special place in the game.

For the Arm Pack, I don't think it rivals the turtle armor because it just has a chance to attack the enemy, and doesn't do constant thorns. Also, there is a chance that it could miss or not even attack at all.

Anyways though, thanks for the feedback!
My issue with an "expert weapon" is this: Terraria is built around constantly upgrading your tech tree and replacing items. Specifically giving a weapon the property of "expert" implies it can be useful at almost any time during the game (again excluding the bone glove) which is a difficult property to apply to a weapon, since they are constantly discarded in favor of upgrades. Also consider that many expert items constitute an meta: you would be hard pressed to find an expert character who doesn't have a worm scarf, or a demon heart. Would it not be tiring to see every single player carrying the exact same staff in their hotbar any time after early hardmode?

What if the prime pack had a chance to grab an enemy that attacks the player, and then eject that enemy away with immense knockback, if that enemy is vulnerable to knockback?

Top Bottom