Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I'd love to see this in game

Votes: 37 42.0%
  • DEVS PLS

Votes: 37 42.0%
  • Nah let's not have this

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
In 1.3 I stumbled across living mahogany wands and my first reaction was "goOD :red: GOOD :red:". So that got me thinking;
My first reaction was, "What is this doing in the granite biome?"
I do really like this suggestion and I think it should be added.

Alright this one was a toughie I thought about the pearlwood leaf blocks changing colors each time one was placed (I may come up with something different though so who knows).
Totally random colours may not be desirable. But different colours would still be cool, so here's a suggestion:
If the leaf isn't connected to any other leaf block, it picks a random colour. If the leaf is connected to another (Pearlwood) leaf block, it uses the colour of that leaf block. (If connected to multiple blocks, it'll choose one at random or bottom first or whatever.)

If you wanted a pink leafed tree, you'd simply place a leaf block until it was pink. And then you'd build more leaf blocks off the original pink one. They'd turn pink too and soon you'd have a stick of fairy floss bright pink tree.

Behold Living Boreal!
Capture 2015-11-13 11_33_07.png

(Not the best pine tree shape but it'll do for now)

This would be awesome. Maybe the hallowed leaf wand could pick a random color when placing leaves, and all attached leaves would be the same color.

Of course, I am going to suggest that there be 1 wand that can place all types of living wood (and 1 for leafs), just like how there is 1 paintbrush for all the different colors of leaves. There is no reason to have multiple items unless they use the same ammo.
Maybe the texture of the wand could change depending on the type of wood being placed,

why not have the drops function like the portal gun
if you dont have it, it'll drop
and have them all combine eventually

Alright this one was a toughie I thought about the pearlwood leaf blocks changing colors each time one was placed (I may come up with something different though so who knows).

A couple of ideas come to mind. If placed next to existing pearlwood leaf block, it will use that colour. If placed independently, it will cycle to the next colour. Alternatively, there could be some right-click feature like the multiwrench, maybe with a different style more appropriate for nature based tools.

A couple of ideas come to mind. If placed next to existing pearlwood leaf block, it will use that colour. If placed independently, it will cycle to the next colour. Alternatively, there could be some right-click feature like the multiwrench, maybe with a different style more appropriate for nature based tools.
I like that idea actually. The new wrench/wire/cutter menu would be awesome for toggling what living wood and leaf blocks you'd want to place.

well pumpkins have a rare chance to drop the pumpkin pet... what if trees had a chance to drop their respective wands? (not nearly as rare as the pumpkin pet though I would think) also, is it possible to have them drop as a set? I'm not sure how it works, but certain guns seem to drop with ammo, so there must be a way to do it right?

Just throwing this out there, but another way it could work is any living wood or leaf wand and be crafted into a different type by combining it with a block of that wood. You wouldn't likely be able to get every wand at once that way, but you could change them as often as you needed.

Maybe that's something I'll sprite later. I think that idea could be possible though with the super wands.
Keep in mind that pearlwood leaves are multicolored. But that could be arranged. The leaf wand could switch colors instead of needing a separate wand.

Maybe it could work kind of like the moss. It would match the leaf color it's touching (if any) but otherwise give you a random one.

I honestly wouldn't want more wands. It's bad enough that the living wood ones clog up your inventory, adding them to the pool for the Orbs and in even more places would just worsen the problem.

I'd support some implementation of this - maybe it could function similar to the interface used for the Grand Design? Right-click to bring up a radial menu displaying the variants of wood available, pick one, start placing. It might help with the whole "flooded with mostly-useless wands".

Honestly, though, I'd love to have Living Ebonwood - my current Expert world's home base is a giant floating tree, and come hardmode I'm planning on painting the whole thing grey and purple to 'corrupt' it. It'll look cool, but actually being able to make it Ebonwood would be awesome.

I think that the living wood in this thread needs some work. I would like to see more detailed needles for the Living Boreal Wood, and the Living Palm doesn't seem to have the amount of detail for the actual tree structure in the examples I seen.

Oh, and for Living Boreal Wood ideas, look at the Pine block pictures on the wiki. Or heck, just make the Living Boreal Wood look like the normal bare snow-covered branches, and the Pine Tree Blocks could be the "leaf" counterpart to it.

I'd like some Living Cactus.

I made a thread like this myself before. I support the idea.

First off I'd like to say: This is my first suggestion thread so here goes.

Ever since I discovered the existence of living wood in 1.2 I have built a lot of things with it. I loved to build with those so much.

In 1.3 I stumbled across living mahogany wands and my first reaction was "goOD :red: GOOD :red:". So that got me thinking; why not more living wood variants?
I'm glad somebody has made this suggestion, because I would also greatly enjoy seeing more Living Wood variations.

However, I have a possible suggestion on how to alter this. Instead of clogging up underground chests with these wands, what could be done instead is that all of these extra wands could be craftable from a 999 stack of the related wood at a Living Loom. This would cut down on the RNG clutter, and also ensure against the possibility of not getting one of the wands. After all, the obvious solution is to make it so that Living Trees generated in a given biome are trees of that biome type. But what if you don't get a Living Boreal Tree in your Snow biome?

Well that's fine, because then you can just make the wands you are missing by collecting a lot of Boreal wood and crafting them.

Another, even simpler solution, is that the Dryad could sell wands of all types for a large amount of gold (say, 50 gold each, which means each set costs 1 plat), but they only appear in her inventory if a Living Loom is physically placed inside her house space. This change ensures that everyone could get all of the wands regardless of how their world generated, and the wands are expensive enough to purchase that it would still be worth your while to go and find existing sets in the wild.

I think 15% drop rates for enemies is a bit high, you would eventually be spammed with these drops. I think 5%, or even 2% would be a bit more balanced.

I think 15% drop rates for enemies is a bit high, you would eventually be spammed with these drops. I think 5%, or even 2% would be a bit more balanced.
edited the OP based on your suggestion, will hopefully be posting a full set of living wood trees soon.

Back
Top Bottom