Items More non accessory/armor mobility

Uchiha sasuke

Terrarian
Escape rocket
Purchased from demolitionist
Consumable

Upon use, a 2-3 second fuse is lit, then a rocket appears behind your character, boosting him directly upwards. Side to side mobility is slightly slowed while the rocket active. After a short time, the rocket disappears, granting the player full horizontal mobility back. After the rocket disappears the player falls as normal is vulnerable to fall damage. If the player hits a roof, the rocket will stall until the timer runs out (passes through platforms as normal). If the roof is removed, the rocket can proceed. Not usable in liquids. One rocket may be active at a time, the fuse timer would prevent them from being chained back to back.
Notes: Basically it would be a reliable way for players to travel upwards better in the early game. There is a bit of rng when it comes to getting stuff like cloud in a balloon, and this could close the gap for unluckier players. It would still have utility later on because it doesn't do anything to interrupt the use of other mobility items, and could be used to supplant even later game options like rocket boots and wings should fast vertical travel be necessary.

Fluffy cloud block
Crafted with 1 Cloud block at a loom
Placeable block

When landing on it, cancels fall damage, but without the bounce effect of pink slime blocks.
Notes: pink slime blocks are a real grind, and I think it would be cool to have fall damage canceling without a bounce, or having to be a liquid.

Weight
Crafted with tungsten/silver at anvil
Equippable tool (passive)

When it is equipped, the player falls much faster (basically reverse umbrella)
Notes: Umbrella needed a reverse version. Can help to keep mobility up in spite of the "slow fall" effects, and for fast traversal of hellevators and the like.

Weighted horseshoe
Crafted with Weight and lucky horseshoe.
Equippable tool (passive)

When equipped, the player falls much faster and is immune to fall damage
Notes: Lucky horseshoe's buildpath always irked me as an item. It builds into all of the various horseshoe balloons and the obsidian horseshoe, but the buildpath ends there, which is a shame for an item with a passive as good as lucky horseshoe. I figured an item that doesn't take up one of your valued accessory slots would be a good way to give the lucky horseshoe continued relevance into hardmode without extended its buildpath in an unnatural and convoluted way or making an OP item.

The Tsunami in a Bottle is meant to close the gap for "unlucky" players. Your Escape Rocket is a sort of cool idea, but a 2-3 second fuse timer completely destroys its usefulness. I think it would be interesting as a form of buyable flight, but definitely cut the fuse time down to like half a second. It's called an Escape Rocket after all.

For fast-falling, you can already use the slimy saddle. Admittedly it doesn't negate fall damage, but usually you'd only use that with Hellevators, which you can line at the bottom with fall-damage cancelling blocks. Speaking of which, why should we add a new "fluffy cloud block" when we can just modify existing cloud blocks to behave as you've described?

The Tsunami in a Bottle is meant to close the gap for "unlucky" players. Your Escape Rocket is a sort of cool idea, but a 2-3 second fuse timer completely destroys its usefulness. I think it would be interesting as a form of buyable flight, but definitely cut the fuse time down to like half a second. It's called an Escape Rocket after all.

For fast-falling, you can already use the slimy saddle. Admittedly it doesn't negate fall damage, but usually you'd only use that with Hellevators, which you can line at the bottom with fall-damage cancelling blocks. Speaking of which, why should we add a new "fluffy cloud block" when we can just modify existing cloud blocks to behave as you've described?
Thanks for the feedback. The main reason I think there should be a fuse timer is so that the rockets aren't chained together as a full replacement for people to save an accessory slot on mobility. Maybe 1s is a good compromise? (you would be fully able to move and act with no movement penalty while the rocket's fuse is burning)

As for fast falling, I wanted an alternative to the slimy settle that would be usable without taking up extra space. the slime saddle makes you "wider" in terms of the gaps you can fit through,

I can agree with making existing cloud blocks do that, I considered it before I pussied out and just made it a new type of block.

Back
Top Bottom