Game Mechanics More ways to obtain Heart Crystals

Artized

Official Terrarian
When myself and 5 friends started new characters on a new world of Terraria, we encountered a major problem in that we struggled to obtain Heart Crystals in order to progress through the game and enter Hardmode. Right now, Heart Crystals randomly spawn underground as solid objects that are broken using a pickaxe. Unfortunately, however, Heart Crystals are somewhat rare and very much finite. This means that with a growing multiplayer population, a world will no longer be able to sustain all players as all of the Heart Crystals would have been mined and consumed. The strange part about this situation is that both Life Fruits and Mana Stars are infinite already and do provide permanent statistical increases to the player.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Potential alternative ways to acquire Heart Crystals:
  • via purchase from the Dryad (for a decent sum of coins, of course)
  • a chance for pre-hardmode Bosses to drop Heart Crystals upon defeat (Legend of Zelda reference, anyone?)
  • having the ability to craft Heart Crystals out of rare materials/individual pieces
  • found in certain chests
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Simply put, a single world should be able to provide an infinite amount of Heart Crystals so that it can sustain all players and this can be achieved in any number of ways. Also, feel free to share your own ideas on how Heart Crystals could be alternatively obtained.

I would have to agree, this is very much needed. Although i have thought of another way it could possibly be obtained.

• All pre-hardmode mobs with more than 50 health will drop a Heart Piece, at a 1/60 chance, and four heart pieces can be crafted into a heart crystal.

i would have no problem with the dryad selling hearts for large sums of money (it would give me something useful to spend my 1k+ platinum coins on).

full support!!!

[edit]

if we went with the npc selling hearts method, we could add as a "requirement" to make them available, "must have beaten at least 1 boss (obvious for dryad to appear), and must have used at least 1 crystal heart"

There should certainly be other ways to get Heart Crystals seeing as Life Fruit and Mana Crystals are in endless supply. And not having enough Heart Crystals (which is mainly a problem in multiplayer with more than 3 players) can severely cripple a player in hard mode. Seeing as many players struggle to survive even with the full 400 hp gotten from the Crystals.

Based on your Dryad idea. The nurse could sell Heart Crystals instead of the Dryad. It makes a little more sense for the Nurse to sell them since her spawn condition is to have at least one player increase their health beyond the starting 100 hp. She could have 2 options similar to how the Goblin npc has, one for healing which she does now, and one for her shop which would have Heart Crystals and possibly other medical related supplies.

As for the conditions of buying a Heart Crystal, she will only sell them if the world is in hardmode, and they would cost 10 gold. It would help the players in a multiplayer world who can't manage to find enough Crystals naturally to boost themselves up for the challenge of hardmode. And it would allow a player to get as many Heart Lanturns as they need for building boss arenas/safe areas underground to stack with campfires.

Based on your Dryad idea. The nurse could sell Heart Crystals instead of the Dryad. It makes a little more sense for the Nurse to sell them since her spawn condition is to have at least one player increase their health beyond the starting 100 hp.

But the nurse doesn't sell Items. Maybe she could have a third tab saying "Buy Crystal Heart" or something. As for the price, I would say 3 gold (To prevent farming as it sells for 1 gold 50 silver)

But the nurse doesn't sell Items. Maybe she could have a third tab saying "Buy Crystal Heart" or something. As for the price, I would say 3 gold (To prevent farming as it sells for 1 gold 50 silver)

Yes, but it wouldn't be too difficult to make it so she can sell items like the other npcs. Similar to how the Dryad has 3 options (or tabs), one to talk, another to check the status of the world, and the 3rd to shop. The Nurse would simply have "shop, talk, and Heal(x amount of coins)" tabs.

3 Gold would be much easier to farm than 10 gold, but it wouldn't be a huge issue for Heart Crystals to be farmed from buying anyway since each player alone can only use 15, and the rest would be used for Heart Lanturns and make it easier to get a large quantity needed for a huge structure of some type.

As for the conditions of buying a Heart Crystal, she will only sell them if the world is in hardmode, and they would cost 10 gold. It would help the players in a multiplayer world who can't manage to find enough Crystals naturally to boost themselves up for the challenge of hardmode. And it would allow a player to get as many Heart Lanturns as they need for building boss arenas/safe areas underground to stack with campfires.
I like the idea of Heart Crystals being exclusively purchasable in hardmode, but I also think this should work in combination with Heart Crystals being drops from Bosses and the heart piece-based system suggested below (with possible alterations).
• All pre-hardmode mobs with more than 50 health will drop a Heart Piece, at a 1/60 chance, and four heart pieces can be crafted into a heart crystal.

Idea of boss dropping is nice. That said, instead of the Dryad directly selling them, I'd rather see her get a quest system with HCs as an occasional reward (maybe every 5 quests.)

At first I was like what more was to obtain them? How about more ways to use them, I have tons. But that's single player of course, in multilayer (with which I have very limited experience) I can definitely see how that would be a problem. Outright buying them seem a little dull, so I'd tend to favor the boss-drop idea. Or how about this idea, when a boss is killed, a life crystal would "grow back" underground, up to the original number, but not necessarily in the same place.

Last edited:
I think the game's just trying to tell you not to send five people to do the job of one.

Not against more ways to obtain those hearts - it's annoying to go hunt for them with a new character. Just not empathizing with your plight, as MP turns the game into more of a joke with regards to challenge (and as a plus, you have less room to build things. Win/win?)

There is a tread "NPCs give tasks" and I think this could be a good way of obtaining pieces of hearts

As long as the decent amount of coins is above 2 gold I am ok with the Dryad selling them, other methods just seem to be meh...

This is a cool idea I always thought that there should be a heart crystal shrine kinda like the jungle shrines, but ya know for heart crystals.

. Or how about this idea, when a boss is killed, a life crystal would "grow back" underground, up to the original number, but not necessarily in the same place.
Yes, I would favor that. But in proportion to the number of players, having to be greater than 4, and 1 spawning per every 2 players after that.

I personally like the idea that bosses and enemies with 50+ health dropping heart pieces/crystals is a better idea, as the Arms Dealer makes the joke the he would like to check out the Nurse's "Shop," and then, when you point out she doesn't have a shop, he gets embarrassed (as I remember). Adding a shop to the nurse would make this joke way less funny, as they would either remove the final part where you point out she doesn't have a shop, or just remove the joke completely. And I like this joke. So I don't want them to remove it.

What if the nurse npc would give you hints for general areas where hearts are located for money or something traded in?

I like the idea of the Dryad selling them the most here. It would be beneficial for both single player and multiplayer this way.

The enemies dropping heart pieces idea is terrible, since it brings your max HP at the mercy of RNG.

if youre playing mobile version, you can use heart shrines., just create a world (prefferably small) and go to the ice biome and there will usually (like 25% of the time) will be a hole that leads to a hear sgrne that gets you 2 heart crystals and a bunch of other cool stuff like heart generators and the op heart arrows

Back
Top Bottom