Most Effective Tactics Available - What should be in every endgame build.

Duskuro🌳

Terrarian
I am trying to figure out what is the META setup. Please do share your thoughts and opinions. Also I wonder what a bug/glitchless META base would look like. Usually I just use this one seen in the background. Its probably nowhere near the best but I hate setting up bases anyways. has anyone made a post about a META base yet? Anyways look at my current setup. Each item has a purpose. At least that is what I think. Feel free to prove me wrong. I forgot to put in Bubble Blocks and Asphalt Blocks btw. Can't wait for loadouts to take a load off my storage.
t.png

t.png

t.png

@Duskuro , what's Meta in Terraria is hard to quantify, mostly in the current Build [1.4.3.6].

For example, your Base is certainly "efficient", but you're likely missing out on a severe amount of Gold-pre-Transaction with this set-up & possibly Pylons [unless of course you're duplicating Items]. Take a look at this:
20220817182912_1a.jpg

Now I could suggest to you all day that you're doing it wrong, but, if you don't enjoy Building stuff or engaging with the NPCs, then that would be incorrect, it'd just be my opinion on what's Meta and what isn't, even though losing out on money isn't very Meta!

What I would then ask you is, "what are your goals, what are you planning to do in the game and why"?
  • are you trying to get through the game quickly, or speedrunning?
  • do you want to fulfill a "power fantasy", and completely dominate everything?
  • are you looking to make some kind of connection with your World Map and Character [something you'd never delete later]?
  • do you want something challenging, that'll demand your A-Game at all times, or you die?
In my humble opinion, the most Meta thing you could do in Terraria is play on Master Mode, ForTheWorthy, and see what gets you to the next stage of progression [building, farming, resource gathering, grinding]. This Mode will absolutely demand that you use the very best stuff or strategies available [in most cases]. If it can defeat a Master Mode, FTW Boss, it's either Meta, or close enough to being Meta.

@Duskuro , what's Meta in Terraria is hard to quantify, mostly in the current Build [1.4.3.6].

For example, your Base is certainly "efficient", but you're likely missing out on a severe amount of Gold-pre-Transaction with this set-up & possibly Pylons [unless of course you're duplicating Items]. Take a look at this:
View attachment 380822

Now I could suggest to you all day that you're doing it wrong, but, if you don't enjoy Building stuff or engaging with the NPCs, then that would be incorrect, it'd just be my opinion on what's Meta and what isn't, even though losing out on money isn't very Meta!

What I would then ask you is, "what are your goals, what are you planning to do in the game and why"?
  • are you trying to get through the game quickly, or speedrunning?
  • do you want to fulfill a "power fantasy", and completely dominate everything?
  • are you looking to make some kind of connection with your World Map and Character [something you'd never delete later]?
  • do you want something challenging, that'll demand your A-Game at all times, or you die?
In my humble opinion, the most Meta thing you could do in Terraria is play on Master Mode, ForTheWorthy, and see what gets you to the next stage of progression [building, farming, resource gathering, grinding]. This Mode will absolutely demand that you use the very best stuff or strategies available [in most cases]. If it can defeat a Master Mode, FTW Boss, it's either Meta, or close enough to being Meta.
Obsession with perfection, efficiency, function > fashion, etc. Something that fulfills that. Probably 2 and/or 3 of the 4 you posted. A base and character build that all Terrarians that can agree is "perfect" and everyone will use in their runs (collect for their character build at the end of their run) if they can't think of something of their own to make and want efficiency.

Obsession with perfection...
Normally I'd caution against this, looking for perfection in an imperfect World is a guaranteed road to disappointment, however, because the current Build of Terraria is so diverse in possible approaches, I'll humor the idea with an answer that'll come as close to "perfect" as you'll probably ever get [I think].

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you want it all. The first thing I would've suggested, before you started was a Drunk World Seed, here you'd have access to nearly every Weapon, Ammo-Type and Buff possible in the game [for the most part]. It'd be possible to actually mix Ichor and Cursed Flames together, with some other additional Debuffs for maximum DoT.

In addition to this, you'd've had access to two Town NPCs almost immediately, once you started building Housing.

I'm not sure if time or results are the more important resource to you, but if you did start the process of building Housing early enough, you could start prepping for other NPCs to move in and just build Biome Housing as you go! They don't have to be fancy, but the efficiency here would be the swift resource gathering, once Pylons start showing up.

You'll be able to zip around the Map in seconds, early-game, to whatever Biome, rare Event, or specific Location you want, for whatever reason is most important to you. Here you trade time investment for time saved [it's a pretty interesting mechanic IMHO].

...efficiency, function > fashion, etc. Something that fulfills that.
Regardless of what you'll typically hear, always having Gold to spend as you please is extremely Meta in Terraria, and unless you know how to duplicate Items, Happy NPCs and selling repeat items, is the fastest, most efficient way to get there IMHO!
NPC Happiness - No Grinding 08.23.2022.jpg

• pre Queen Bee, post-BoC.
  • no grinding, no farming, just normal progression.
  • selling items to my Happiest NPC, and using Biome Torches for luck.
  • no Fishing Items available yet.
  • no duplications sold [using research feature].
  • all legit.
It's important to note that I'm already at Platinum Income, and I'm pretty easy-going about spending, for Décor, for rare Items [like Food, Sake, and rare Paintings]. I'll always have more-than-enough for Upgrading and Reforging [which is extremely Meta], a common shortcoming you'll regularly hear about from other Terrarians [being poor].

Probably 2 and/or 3 of the 4 you posted. A base and character build that all Terrarians that can agree is "perfect" and everyone will use in their runs (collect for their character build at the end of their run) if they can't think of something of their own to make and want efficiency.
If you're already post-Mech, I'd recommend setting up a central Teleporter Base, with access to as many "harvesting points" as possible, Pylons can be used to speed this process up, but definitely replace them with Teleporters once you have access to them.

Most Terrarians seem to agree that Expert Mode is the most balanced and enjoyable, if you're looking for a challenge. If you wanna spice things up though, try Master Mode. It's much more punishing, but... if you're looking for a legit measure of what's actually Meta, look no further [though Master, FTW is likely the most accurate measuring stick IMHO].

When you start dominating, you'll actually feel the spike in power, because Bosses will rarely ever be "pushovers", so when you obliterate them much later on, you'll know you've earned it!

Lastly, if you wanna be super efficient, I'd say look into learning to build Mechanisms and [insert name here] Engines with Wire, Timers, Traps and Logic Gates. You can likely go "fully automated" at certain points in the game, but these admittedly take a LOT of time to build and design, so "borrowing" a few ideas here and there won't hurt [see T-MEC].

My input on this will be short ie give it a KISS…keep it simple stupid…no offense meant at all just a saying…a base is one thing…an arena for boss fights is something else completely so meta meh. I enjoy creative building and spend lots of time on an elaborate base whereas arenas for me are much more simplified ie as little as possible for efficiency. Also it depends very much on which boss let alone adding automation, mechanisms, and death/damage traps including lava etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom