Builds MrP's Builds

MrP

Steampunker
I don't claim to be much of a builder, but I've put together a few things I'm pleased with over time. Comments and criticism are very welcome!

A lot of them have been inspired by the work of others that I've seen here, on Reddit, or on the internet at large. I'm particularly a fan of @Eiv, @Khaios, @WarWar, and @rulick15; no doubt there are others that I've forgotten, but if you recognise anything in my builds as being like someone else's work, point it out to me and I'd be happy to give credit where it's due.

Decorations and Housing
LGNbFxz.png

This was my first attempt at a purely decorative, atmospheric build. Very early on, I thought I might be able to make it double as housing for the Pirate, but it soon became obvious that it would be far too cramped, not to mention being nigh-impossible to put furniture in. So I just pretend it's a Flying Dutchman that crashed, or something. (Which is about the only way to make sense of the fact that it's far from either ocean, in the edge of the desert right near spawn, where I typically fight the pirate invasion.)
DqIMUH3.png

Since the shipwreck wasn't going to be usable housing, I made this next for the Pirate to live in. It's located at the western ocean, far from everyone else. He doesn't seem to mind.
Ab0lJtj.png

This was actually my first serious attempt at a "good" house, after being wowed by others' builds I found online. You can probably pick some of the ideas I nicked from famous builders, particularly @Eiv, whose distinctive work was the basis for the roof, not to mention a few touches around the entrance and on the walls.

The lower ground floor isn't finished yet, although the kitchen has been remodelled a bit since this shot was taken. It's located a fair distance away from spawn, and there's a teleporter to take me back and forth, but it's underground. The plan is to put a cellar under the kitchen that connects to the stairwell up from the teleport point.
AVZjDDT.png

This is next door to the Dye Trader and Painter's house. This, too, has changed a bit since this screenshot. The lights and music boxes in the party room downstairs are wired up to a switch, as is the Party Center out front. (It'd be great if the Party Center could provide output to turn everything on when an NPC throws a party!)

The intention is also to wire up the King and Queen Statues to teleport in partygoers, but I'm having trouble getting it to work right, because I want it to repeat four times and then shut off. (I can get it to do that, but then when I turn off everything at the switch, it turns the statues back on...)

The ground floor is going to be left quite sparse, because the Party Girl doesn't spend much of her time up there! ...Or she wouldn't if I could make downstairs (or a part of it) valid housing without having to wall off a section of it. I'm open to suggestions!
zWQOWXG.png

This is a silly little idea that I had recently.

The empty space in the centre is right above the top of my (first) hellevator. At the moment it's just a bare opening, safely walled outside the housing, but I have plans to build something a bit more substantial in here.
I'm a serious pack rat, and after I put together my fourth(!!) Cell Phone, I decided that just leaving them sitting around in a chest was silly. I should make some sort of "check this out" display. So I gathered all of the crafting materials (again), and then planned this out.

W5kDYaE.png

I call it the "Cell Phone Tower". Horrible pun, I know.

Arenas
dkGc61C.png

This was an overly ambitious project to beat Fishron through arena design. It works great for the first stage; the minecart track keeps me out of his reach and the statues heal me up nicely. But the Cthulhunadoes in the second stage tear me to bits!

This is another older picture; it looks rather less pretty now, because I added some branching track to try and give me a way to avoid those Cthulhunadoes. So far it still isn't helping much (I have to jump to take the branches, and too often I hit the solid blocks that the lanterns hang from, or even go flying right off the side.)

Still, I'm pretty proud of this one, just for the amount of work I put into the arches and positioning the windows to give an illusion of depth and curve.
PmMz2Yf.png

Ahh, the pièce de résistance. Also a complete failure at its intended purpose. The arena is valid, but something about the curve of the bridge means that incoming enemies spend most of their time ghosting straight through the air and drop down almost on top of the crystal.

But hey, I think it still looks cool. The highlighting on the face was another thing I nicked from a more accomplished builder, in this case @WarWar (many thanks to @Khaios for reminding me whose it was).
So, that Duke Fishron arena didn't work, as I mentioned. But I happened to read that if you took the fight away from the ocean, he would become "enraged", resulting in him "lunging at the player continuously". Hmm, thinks I. Hmm. Does this mean he only lunges? No Cthulhunadoes?

I had to try it. Here's the Fishron Arena, Mark 2.

LNHVygw.png

Doesn't look like much, right? Well, I didn't want to waste time building another grand edifice only to find out it didn't work, so I stuck to the basics from the original plan: Minecart track. Teleporters. Heart statues. But now, built just outside the ocean area, with a nice lead-in track to get the fight started.

My first attempt proved the idea was sound (no Sharknadoes!), but I still died... faster than ever, in fact. He consistently caught me at the top-right end of the loop, right before teleporting. This was always his third lunge after me. Would shortening the track by a third mean he couldn't catch me? It's worth a shot, right?

It worked. I just beat Duke Fishron with only post-Destroyer gear!

Aside from being way too pleased with myself for this, I think this is worth posting here because, even if it isn't visually very impressive, it's still a carefully crafted build. Three complete laps take just barely over 10 seconds; just enough time for the heart statues to reset. Make the tracks each one block shorter and you just miss the reset time. Depending on his exact lunge direction, he occasionally caught me, but the heart statues (and gallons of buffs) meant it didn't matter much.

Older Builds
These are far less exciting, but I've lived with them so long that I've grown fond of them.
qz5hbww.png

This is a full collection of critters, with the exception of the aquatic ones (the goldfish and the three jellyfish). Those are in the aquarium, down below this point.

Incidentally, Steam tells me I've been playing Terraria for over 800 hours, most of it in this one world. I swear that this is the one and only gold butterfly I've ever seen.
ZkRkzzm.png

Just a themed build to use ice blocks and other tundra-biome things, plus slime platforms because... I don't know. Ice platforms would've fit better, surely? Actually, in hindsight I think the desire to use slime platforms for something came first, and the idea of building it in the tundra to match colours followed. (I didn't use paint back in those days.)

Last edited:
I'm looking at adding some of my older, less-nice builds to this thread, just because they're there and I'm sort of fond of them even if they're a bare step up from wooden boxes. But it turns out most of the screenshots of them suck (it took me a while to discover that the camera tool let you put a frame over a wide area rather than just taking a shot of the current screen), and are largely out of date anyway.

But here's a good picture of the menagerie.
qz5hbww.png

This is a full collection of critters, with the exception of the aquatic ones (the goldfish and the three jellyfish). Those are in the aquarium, down below this point.

Incidentally, Steam tells me I've been playing Terraria for over 800 hours, most of it in this one world. I swear that this is the one and only gold butterfly I've ever seen.

So, that Duke Fishron arena? The one where I used a minecart and teleporters to stay out of his reach as much as possible? As I mentioned, it didn't work. His first stage went okay, but in his second stage, his Cthulhunadoes would tear me apart.

Now, I happened to read that if you took the fight away from the ocean, he would become "enraged", resulting in him "lunging at the player continuously". Hmm, thinks I. Hmm. Does this mean he only lunges? No Cthulhunadoes?

I had to try it. Here's the Fishron Arena, Mark 2.
LNHVygw.png

Doesn't look like much, right? Well, I didn't want to waste time building another grand edifice only to find out it didn't work, so I stuck to the basics from the original plan: Minecart track. Teleporters. Heart statues. But now, built just outside the ocean area, with a nice lead-in track to get the fight started.

My first attempt proved the idea was sound (no Sharknadoes!), but I still died... faster than ever, in fact. He consistently caught me at the top-right end of the loop, right before teleporting. This was always his third lunge after me. Would shortening the track by a third mean he couldn't catch me? It's worth a shot, right?

It worked. I just beat Duke Fishron with only post-Destroyer gear!

Aside from being way too pleased with myself for this, I think this is worth posting here because, even if it isn't visually very impressive, it's still a carefully crafted build. Three complete laps take just barely over 10 seconds; just enough time for the heart statues to reset. Make the tracks each one block shorter and you just miss the reset time. Depending on his exact lunge direction, he occasionally caught me, but the heart statues (and gallons of buffs) meant it didn't matter much.

And while I'm here, a couple more builds. First, another old one, the ice tower.
ZkRkzzm.png

Just a themed build to use ice blocks and other tundra-biome things, plus slime platforms because... I don't know. Ice platforms would've fit better, surely? Actually, in hindsight I think the desire to use slime platforms for something came first, and the idea of building it in the tundra to match colours followed. (I didn't use paint back in those days.)

And second, a work in progress. I'm a serious pack rat, and after I put together my fourth(!!) Cell Phone, I decided that just leaving them sitting around in a chest was silly. I should make some sort of "check this out" display. So I gathered all of the crafting materials (again), and then planned this out.
W5kDYaE.png

I call it the "Cell Phone Tower". Horrible pun, I know.

Last edited:
My first (completed) new build in a long time! Well, not counting some slapdash arenas and stuff here and there.

The Dojo
6uN6iRa.png

...I've just noticed that the crossbar in the top gable end is one square lower than in the two bottom gable ends. This is bothering me, but I'll have to fix it later, I guess.

Last edited:
So, Journey’s End, huh? I’ve messed about for hours in a new Journey Mode world, and decided that if I had unlimited blocks and paint and whatnot, I might as well build my NPCs some semi-decent houses with them. So here’s the first one I’ve completed, currently occupied by the Mechanic, though I’m planning to move her into something more… well, mechanical, later.
teH0WSJ.png

Not much of a showcase for things 1.4 introduced, although it does have a new toilet, and the roof has stone platform at the top, and lead brick at the bottom.

The staircase is blatantly ripped off gratefully modelled after the entry by @BlueJay_T_Gaming in Creation Compendium #78.

Last edited:
Another Journey's End build, this one properly showing off a new feature… namely, the Graveyard biome.
gq8ofo2.png

The crypt design is based on this crypt by Imgur user herbs.

Here it is again with better lighting (i.e. while I was well out of the area).
m5AwdxR.png

I want to have messages on all of the tombstones. I decided not to use the classic "I told you I was sick", but so far I've got:
  • I was hoping for a pyramid.
  • You're standing on my chest.
  • The Guide left the door open.
  • "Ooh, a gold chest!" *click*
  • "Wow, that's high bait power!"
I'm taking suggestions for the rest!

There's a few bits I'm not entirely happy with, one being the bare basement of the gravedigger's cottage, but I don't know what to put down there. Maybe some sort of sinister dark-magic thing? Are the gravedigger's hobbies the reason why the graveyard is full of zombies at all hours?

Another is the way the marble columns on the mausoleum don't have their flared top bit. Apparently when connecting to marble blocks, it doesn't do that? I'll have to find some replacement block that blends in nicely with smooth marble.

I also wanted to style the hedges to be a bit less square, but for that I'd want a Leaf Wand. And would you believe that this world didn't contain a single Living Wood Chest?

Reactions: oko
Continuing my hobby of beating Duke Fishron using minecart tracks and underlevelled gear, I wondered if it would be possible to drop the teleporters, drop the Megashark, and beat him only with pre-Hardmode gear. Here's the design I came up with.
WUH2Iis.png

It's the parallelogram of doom!
The decorations were added on the theory that, if I'm going to build a boss-fighting strategy out of enraging him, I might as well go all out. :D

And it worked! Well, that is to say, it worked on Journey difficulty, and even then he gets me more often than I get him. But I'm convinced that with a bit of tweaking to the track lengths, and maybe a few more heart statues, I can make it a reliable Fishron killer on at least Classic difficulty...

Fishron Arena Mk… what am I up to now? Oh right, Mk 4. Now instead of the parallelogram of doom, it’s the hexagon of doom!
hmKdwzG.png
And it works to beat him on Classic difficulty with pre-Hardmode gear (namely Crimson armour and a Star Cannon). Higher difficulties are proving, well, difficult. The track keeps me ahead of him perfectly well until the halfway mark. But then when he stops moving to switch to stage 2, he always hits me when he comes out of it, and again a couple of charges later. And that’s enough to kill me.

I’m experimenting with stopping the minecart while he pauses, and then using booster tracks to get back up to speed, but so far I haven’t managed to time it right, and it’s such a marathon just to get it that far!

Back
Top Bottom