**REPORTED** Multicore lighting no longer available, replacement of this not working properly, causing the performance issues reported.

NatoPotato

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
My specs:
1660Ti OC
Ryzen 5 2600 OC @ 3.6GHz (has 6 cores)
16GB ram

Previously, there was an option in Terraria's video settings that allowed the player to set their own number of cores (or threads, I don't exactly remember) that will be used for lighting.
In 1.4, this was removed (Most likely since the default core number was 1, and less tech savvy players wouldn't think to change this for better performance), and was replaced by what I am guessing is a code that either takes the number of cores in your system and sets it to that, or sets it to 3 or lower depending on if its possible to use 3 cores.
Whatever it is, it's failing.
I used to be able to get full 144 fps with all my 6 cores being used, now looking in Terraria's config file, it is only using 3 cores. I have tried changing the number in the config, but it offers no performance boost and just resets itself to 3 after I close the game.
Now i'm getting drops in some areas bringing it down to around 80-100 fps, being at its worst in that one glowing rock biome (not the mushroom biome :p).
I know, *Boo Hoo poor little thing is not getting his 144 fps waaa* when many players are playing just fine with 60fps, but trust me,
once you have played Terraria 144fps, you can't go back.
Either bring back the Multicore lighting option, make it editable in the config, or fix the code that chooses how many cores to use.

Not sure what the issue is, but if you edit the config file while you're ingame, then you close the game it will reset the settings because every time the game is closed it saves the settings overwriting what you changed.

You need to change the .json file while the game is closed, and dont forget to save it, of course.

We are looking into re-implementing multicore lighting, but the multicore lighting in 1.3.5.3 was actually malfunctioning, which is why we removed it. So it may be some time until we can get it functional again for re-implementation.

We are looking into re-implementing multicore lighting, but the multicore lighting in 1.3.5.3 was actually malfunctioning, which is why we removed it. So it may be some time until we can get it functional again for re-implementation.
Hello there. Can you also fix the mouse issue which is choppy. What I mean is that the mouse looks like it is running at a very low frame. Also, will you be adding a higher FPS support for those who have 144hz monitor or greater. The game doesn’t run smoothly especially on high refresh rate monitors. It s noticeably choppy. I hope this will get noticed.

My specs:
1660Ti OC
Ryzen 5 2600 OC @ 3.6GHz (has 6 cores)
16GB ram

Previously, there was an option in Terraria's video settings that allowed the player to set their own number of cores (or threads, I don't exactly remember) that will be used for lighting.
In 1.4, this was removed (Most likely since the default core number was 1, and less tech savvy players wouldn't think to change this for better performance), and was replaced by what I am guessing is a code that either takes the number of cores in your system and sets it to that, or sets it to 3 or lower depending on if its possible to use 3 cores.
Whatever it is, it's failing.
I used to be able to get full 144 fps with all my 6 cores being used, now looking in Terraria's config file, it is only using 3 cores. I have tried changing the number in the config, but it offers no performance boost and just resets itself to 3 after I close the game.
Now i'm getting drops in some areas bringing it down to around 80-100 fps, being at its worst in that one glowing rock biome (not the mushroom biome :p).
I know, *Boo Hoo poor little thing is not getting his 144 fps waaa* when many players are playing just fine with 60fps, but trust me,
once you have played Terraria 144fps, you can't go back.
Either bring back the Multicore lighting option, make it editable in the config, or fix the code that chooses how many cores to use.
How did you run the game higher than 60fps? I have a 144hz monitor and the game is not smooth coz it is getting capped at 60. Having 60fps on a 144hz is noticeably not smooth. The mouse is also kinda choppy coz it looks like the mouse is running at a low frame rate. I tried turning the frame skip off but it causes glitches etc. Can you please tell me how you ran it at high fps so that I could enjoy the game coz I am not enjoying it that much coz it isn’t running smooth on a high end pc. I hope for a response.

Adding higher FPS support is easier said than done, as Terraria inherently runs at 60 FPS. Its not a simple change.

I can't say one way or another if that is something that will be changed, but it would not be a simple one.

Adding higher FPS support is easier said than done, as Terraria inherently runs at 60 FPS. Its not a simple change.

I can't say one way or another if that is something that will be changed, but it would not be a simple one.
Stupid question, but can't you just double the output framerate while keeping all the physics and calculations at 60 FPS? Like how classic doom calculated things at 25 FPS, and ran at 50 actual frames put out every second.

You don’t need to change the game’s fps. We just want to make the game run smoothly. Will there be any future tweaks for the frame rate? It makes the game unenjoyable knowing it is choppy. Also, most of the people nowadays are on monitors that have high refresh rates so I hope you’ll at least do something so that the game can run smoothly without changing the game’s physics etc. Some youtubers like “HappyDays”, and “PythonGB” are running the game so smoothly. I really don’t know how they are doing that. I wish I could play the game and fully enjoy it; it just saddens me coz it is noticeably choppy on monitors that are 144+ hz. Before dropping support to this game please at least fix the frame rate thingy because it has been going on for years. I know it isn’t easy either, but I hope you’ll do something. Please don’t ignore this.

Stupid question, but can't you just double the output framerate while keeping all the physics and calculations at 60 FPS? Like how classic doom calculated things at 25 FPS, and ran at 50 actual frames put out every second.
Yea, I agree. Tbh 60 fps on a monitor that is 144hz is noticeable laggish. The mouse is also choppy when moved; it seems like the mouse is running at 30FPS. I don’t know why this is happening. I hope they’ll do something about it *fingers crossed*.

Back
Top Bottom