Multiplayer enemies desync/lagging in multiplayer

Discussion in 'PC Bug Reports' started by AriesRohkell, Aug 29, 2017.

1. AriesRohkell

AriesRohkell Terrarian

Hello, so I've been able to find plenty of other threads with similar issues, but their all either 2 years old or the solutions don't work for me. I'm hosting a server, not playing through steams "host and play". There's a odd desync between when enemies die on screen for a player, and when they actually die server-side. Often when we kill an enemy, their body will come back, die again, come back, then die for real. They can still deal damage to players in this time. This is especially present in flying/worm type enemies. They don't just have trouble dying, but they practically teleport around the screen. This makes bosses especially hard to fight. I've hosted many multiplayer servers before, both Terraria and not. I never had issues with enemies when I used host and play, with the exception of hardmode sandstorms and frost/pumpkin moon. But now we're having issues before even Skeletron! What can be done to help alleviate this problem?

Specs of computer running the server:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz

8GB RAM

Windows 8, 64 bit

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Fixes I have tried: Double checking ports, turning off frameskip/multicore lighting, turning ON frameskip/multicore lightning, giving Terraria a higher priority (both on server computer and on personal computer) in task manager, changing the "affinity" option in task manager, and probably a few other things I found that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I'm fairly certain it's not my internet or the computer, as I've run a heavily modded ARK server and had a friend in Japan connect with no lag (I'm in Florida)

2. Arkhayla

Arkhayla Quality Director Re-Logic

Have you tried asking your friends to do a traceroute to your IP? See if there are any major hangups in the communications.

Also, are you using any third party mods like tModLoader or tShock?

3. AriesRohkell

AriesRohkell Terrarian

I have not had them traceroute my IP. I'm not entirely sure how to do that but I'll work on figuring it out this weekend. If there are hangups in communications, what can I do to fix those?

As for third party mods, we were originally using tModLoader, but once we started getting lag we switched back to vanilla to see if that was the issue. But we got the same odd desync in vanilla that we had in tModLoader.

Thank you for your reply.

4. Arkhayla

If there are problems with the traceroute there aren't many options to sort it out. The person seeing the problem would have to contact their ISP which may or may not have any influence depending on the node and why there is lag.

My next concern is, this seems like a symptom of the server being overburdened. Will you post a screenshot of the server's resource monitor for the CPU while the teleporting and desync is happening?

1. Open the Task Manager
    2. Select the Performance tab
    3. Click "Open Resource Monitor" at the bottom
    4. Select the CPU tab
    5. Expand Processes and Services
    6. Maximize the Window, Screenshot, and post here (feel free to send in PM if it worries you)

5. AriesRohkell

AriesRohkell Terrarian

So I switched the server over to my main computer. It's a full desktop with more capabilities than the laptop. For the first couple days it had the same issue, but after I shut it down for the first time it's just been... working? I'm not sure why but everything is resolved now. We summoned 10 Eyes of Cthulu and nobody was experiencing any desync issues. I wish I had more information to give on what the difference is between now and Wednesday but I don't.

As for taking a screenshot while the desync is happening, it happened pretty much consistently, just more often with flying/burrowing enemies. If you'd like, I could run another server back on my laptop to see if I can get a screenshot for you, but now that the it's pretty much resolved I'm probably just going to shrug it off.

Thank you so much for the support, I'm sorry since I feel like I kind of wasted your time

Arkhayla likes this.
  6. Arkhayla

It's not a waste, just the nature of Windows and it's CPU load handling. The reason for the screenshot was to see if it was capping out your processor. However, if a reboot seems to have resolved the problem it could have just been something else consuming system resources? All I can do is speculate but I am very happy to hear you are now able to host a server without the desync!