Switch Multiplayer - Frequent Connection Timeouts

SteveTheDreamer

Terrarian
My friend and I have been playing Multiplayer on the Switch on the same Wifi network. As in sitting the same room together.
We have had some good luck for a while and played together for hours without any problems. Every once in a while we may get a game freeze and have to restart, and sometimes get a connection time out. It happened semi rarely at first. However as we progressed the game further we started to see Connection Timeouts more frequently, when our connection was otherwise stable for everything else. When she would try to reconnect, it the console would say Player Joined, and then Player Left again immediately. Connection Timeout as soon as joining the game. . And then in some cases I myself the host would get the auto save and Connection Timeout too right after she was.

We both tried restarting the game. ( Closing the app from the Switch menu ) as well as Powering off and on our Switch console. We also tried restarting our router/wifi.

Our Nintendo Switch internal internet connection test returned successful results and speeds of 20mbs Up and 40mbs Down which id assume is considerably sufficient.

Now our initial World which is Small ( Corrupted ) we can no longer play together. Every time she joins its an instant Connection Timeout. Whats strange is that while I am hosting the Multiplayer world, I can run around just fine. But as soon as she joins and gets timeout, then a moment later I am also immediately disconnected with timedout. From my own Hosted game that has no other players in it. Its 100% reproducible currently. That said, we can join other new worlds and play together successfully and will work fine again for hours without issue.

As I have seen from some other Bug reports similar to this, it does appear related to amount of progress through the game or perhaps the amount of objects placed in and around the spawn in point?
We were in Hardmode, Defeated 3 Mechanical bosses but before killing Planetera. We certainly excavated a lot of the world too and had several large wooden platform based arenas for fighting bosses. And full a Skybridge + minecart rail. All of the NPCs currently available ( 13ish? ) were very close together in an efficient stacked housing right next to spawn in, along with my house witch was not extremely large but has many torches and moving objects, 'animated' sprites like workbenches and I wonder if this could be related to an overload of processing or keeping track of moving objects in a multiplayer sync.

All this aside, id like to say I am a really big fan of this games series for a long time and played on Xbox 360 and PC and love having it on Switch too. Thankyou for porting it to Switch. I have a background in QA and software testing and know the unfortunate realities that sometimes games have issues like this. While disappointing, I am not deterred from playing. I have hope for this game and wish to support it.

If you want any further information I would like to help If there is anything I can do like post screenshots or try to record a demonstration of the reproduce-able connection timeouts.
Just let me know

Last edited:
My friend and I have been playing Multiplayer on the Switch on the same Wifi network. As in sitting the same room together.
We have had some good luck for a while and played together for hours without any problems. Every once in a while we may get a game freeze and have to restart, and sometimes get a connection time out. It happened semi rarely at first. However as we progressed the game further we started to see Connection Timeouts more frequently, when our connection was otherwise stable for everything else. When she would try to reconnect, it the console would say Player Joined, and then Player Left again immediately. Connection Timeout as soon as joining the game. . And then in some cases I myself the host would get the auto save and Connection Timeout too right after she was.

We both tried restarting the game. ( Closing the app from the Switch menu ) as well as Powering off and on our Switch console. We also tried restarting our router/wifi.

Our Nintendo Switch internal internet connection test returned successful results and speeds of 20mbs Up and 40mbs Down which id assume is considerably sufficient.

Now our initial World which is Small ( Corrupted ) we can no longer play together. Every time she joins its an instant Connection Timeout. Whats strange is that while I am hosting the Multiplayer world, I can run around just fine. But as soon as she joins and gets timeout, then a moment later I am also immediately disconnected with timedout. From my own Hosted game that has no other players in it. Its 100% reproducible currently. That said, we can join other new worlds and play together successfully and will work fine again for hours without issue.

As I have seen from some other Bug reports similar to this, it does appear related to amount of progress through the game or perhaps the amount of objects placed in and around the spawn in point?
We were in Hardmode, Defeated 3 Mechanical bosses but before killing Planetera. We certainly excavated a lot of the world too and had several large wooden platform based arenas for fighting bosses. And full a Skybridge + minecart rail. All of the NPCs currently available ( 13ish? ) were very close together in an efficient stacked housing right next to spawn in, along with my house witch was not extremely large but has many torches and moving objects, 'animated' sprites like workbenches and I wonder if this could be related to an overload of processing or keeping track of moving objects in a multiplayer sync.

All this aside, id like to say I am a really big fan of this games series for a long time and played on Xbox 360 and PC and love having it on Switch too. Thankyou for porting it to Switch. I have a background in QA and software testing and know the unfortunate realities that sometimes games have issues like this. While disappointing, I am not deterred from playing. I have hope for this game and wish to support it.

If you want any further information I would like to help If there is anything I can do like post screenshots or try to record a demonstration of the reproduce-able connection timeouts.
Just let me know
Hi @SteveTheDreamer, thanks so much for sharing this detailed info. If you haven’t already, I strongly suggest sending in all of this info straight to Pipeworks, the console developers, here: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

Back
Top Bottom