PS4 Multiplayer Map Reveal Reset Upon Exit - Only Person Joining (Happens on Switch as well)

Vaile

Terrarian
My wife and I have been playing Terraria for a couple of years now, first on the PS4 then on Switch then back to the PS4 recently. We play together using worlds generated by her with me joining her hosted session. We each have well over 50 hours in both versions (PS4 multiple times.)

The issue we've had since the beginning is that, no matter what we do, all of the map I've revealed is reset every time I join the world. It's like I'm joining a world that's been thoroughly explored for the first time.

Is there any way to force the revealed map to save before I exit (or when I exit?) I've tried some tricks such as joining the world with another character and exploring a bit before saving and exiting and returning to my main character. We've always made sure to have me save and exit before her (so I'm not pre-maturely kicked out without saving.)

Any help would be appreciated. The game would be a lot more enjoyable if I could see what I've already explored!

Edit: Also, I'd love to know if anyone out there is playing on PS4 and/or Switch, joining multiplayer games and NOT experiencing this issue. If so it gives me hope that it'll be fixed (or there's a method to avoiding the issue!)

My wife and I have been playing Terraria for a couple of years now, first on the PS4 then on Switch then back to the PS4 recently. We play together using worlds generated by her with me joining her hosted session. We each have well over 50 hours in both versions (PS4 multiple times.)

The issue we've had since the beginning is that, no matter what we do, all of the map I've revealed is reset every time I join the world. It's like I'm joining a world that's been thoroughly explored for the first time.

Is there any way to force the revealed map to save before I exit (or when I exit?) I've tried some tricks such as joining the world with another character and exploring a bit before saving and exiting and returning to my main character. We've always made sure to have me save and exit before her (so I'm not pre-maturely kicked out without saving.)

Any help would be appreciated. The game would be a lot more enjoyable if I could see what I've already explored!

Edit: Also, I'd love to know if anyone out there is playing on PS4 and/or Switch, joining multiplayer games and NOT experiencing this issue. If so it gives me hope that it'll be fixed (or there's a method to avoiding the issue!)
Hi there @Vaile, welcome to the forums. :)

Does this happen only with worlds that your wife creates and hosts. What happens if you create and host? Also, is your full map reset, just the minimap, or both? Any difference if you hide the minimap?

If you haven’t already, I suggest sending this info straight to Pipeworks (the console developers). You can do that using this form: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

They probably won’t reply, but they do look over every message they get.

Happens when either of us creates and hosts. It's a full map reset (e.g. the fog of war covers everything I've already explored and needs to be re-explored to clear it) just like I was logging into a world for the first time. No difference if I hide the minimap.

I've submitted it to Pipeworks via the bug report form.

It's strange that we experience this exact issue on both PS4 and Switch.

Does anyone else on console experience this issue? Are there people who join hosted worlds on console and have the map explored still when they re-enter on another session?

This is happening with me and my friends both ways on the PS4. I first noticed it because I had spent a long time logging the area in my friends world only to come back on and be greeted with darkness. Later that day we were on my world and the same thing happened with them. I don't understand why this happens but we are also doing it the same way as you when we quit, making sure each of us have saved and quit before the host leaves.

What I was going to try tonight was to have the host log us all out, my thoughts were that maybe it logs all map data onto the host server for each player, but that's just a hope at this point.

Let me know if you manage to get this fixed, conversely, I'll report back if this method works (if we remember, habit might kick in and we just automatically log off without thinking)

Happens when either of us creates and hosts. It's a full map reset (e.g. the fog of war covers everything I've already explored and needs to be re-explored to clear it) just like I was logging into a world for the first time. No difference if I hide the minimap.

I've submitted it to Pipeworks via the bug report form.

It's strange that we experience this exact issue on both PS4 and Switch.

Does anyone else on console experience this issue? Are there people who join hosted worlds on console and have the map explored still when they re-enter on another session?
This is happening with me and my friends both ways on the PS4. I first noticed it because I had spent a long time logging the area in my friends world only to come back on and be greeted with darkness. Later that day we were on my world and the same thing happened with them. I don't understand why this happens but we are also doing it the same way as you when we quit, making sure each of us have saved and quit before the host leaves.

What I was going to try tonight was to have the host log us all out, my thoughts were that maybe it logs all map data onto the host server for each player, but that's just a hope at this point.

Let me know if you manage to get this fixed, conversely, I'll report back if this method works (if we remember, habit might kick in and we just automatically log off without thinking)
@Vaile and @shortbreadhead - the PS4 should be getting an update on April 2 (providing that everything gets approved). I am not sure if there is a fix in for what you are experiencing, but it's an opportunity to see if (hopefully) your map data doesn't disappear. I'm crossing my fingers the update will fix this issue for you guys. More info on the update is here: Terraria State of the Game - March 2020

Still having this problem after console update. Xbox One X resetting all me and my friends map progress.
:( I'm sorry to hear this. I would suggest sending in another (if you have already) bug report to Pipeworks, the console developers, and let them know all the details, including this is AFTER the 1.3.5 update. Here's their direct form: Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

So i wanted to buy PS+ to play online with my friend in Terraria but there was a bug where the map was resetet if i leave the server. Is this bug patched in the new Update it would be very helpful :D

Is it fixed in this Update i dont want to waste money on ps+
There's been more information that I've learned about this issue since this thread was first created. Apparently, the guest's map not saving progress is considered not a bug by the developers and would be more considered a quality of life improvement that may be looked at in the future, but not a guarantee that it'll happen.

Is there nothing i can do?? I doesn't make really fun if i have to re discover everything :(
Nothing that you can do that I'm aware of. I agree, I personally think it would be very frustrating to not have my map save on a friend's world.

Is there nothing i can do?? I doesn't make really fun if i have to re discover everything :(

Me and my friends have been getting this as well. The best way to kind of keep your map is to take a picture or screenshot of the map so you can have it for later.

Back
Top Bottom