Music box machine

EMC

Terrarian
I made an underground base one time, and I got music boxes to play surface music. I got day and night sensors to switch between music boxes, which sounds simple enough. Would it be possible to make a thing that plays all of the songs that are on the surface at the proper times?

As an example, it would detect when it's raining and play the rain music. It would switch between Day and Alt Day when one finishes.

Rain detection is a bit iffy. The best you can do is detect when an NPC teleports to it's housing, and check if it isn't night with a sensor.
The only way to detect when a song ends, would be with a timer. The songs are only a few minutes long, so that shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I made an underground base one time, and I got music boxes to play surface music. I got day and night sensors to switch between music boxes, which sounds simple enough. Would it be possible to make a thing that plays all of the songs that are on the surface at the proper times?

As an example, it would detect when it's raining and play the rain music. It would switch between Day and Alt Day when one finishes.

There are no sensors accessible for "it is raining", I believe. You would need some sort of mod to add one.

Rain detection is a bit iffy. The best you can do is detect when an NPC teleports to it's housing, and check if it isn't night with a sensor.
The only way to detect when a song ends, would be with a timer. The songs are only a few minutes long, so that shouldn't be that much of a problem.
This is what I'm talking about. Goldfish start walking in the rain, right? Get a goldfish statue, and if the goldfish walks to trigger a pressure plate (or two, to make sure it isn't just bouncing), then we have a rain sensor.

This is what I'm talking about. Goldfish start walking in the rain, right? Get a goldfish statue, and if the goldfish walks to trigger a pressure plate (or two, to make sure it isn't just bouncing), then we have a rain sensor.
rain detectors.png

The bottom left is a rain detector. The top left is a blood-moon detector. During blood moon the goldfish turn into a hostile mob type that can jump up over the wall.

The right side are mockups where my friend and I were experimenting. Disregard those.

Above all four of them I had the plate wired to actuated block, that would drop a boulder, to trigger the final plate. It's a one-use design, and wired up to fireworks in the middle. You could do away with the boulder thing entirely and just have the plate wired to the appropriate music box.

For Day/Night Detector:
  • Logic Sensor(Day) which emits a signal when night turns to day.
  • Logic Sensor(Night) which emits a signal when day turns to night.

Last edited:
The bottom left is a rain detector. The top left is a blood-moon detector. During blood moon the goldfish turn into a hostile mob type that can jump up over the wall.

Clever! Given a blood moon goldfish can jump a two block high wall, you probably need to wire that to an SR flip-flop so that rain detection is disabled during blood moon, right? Because the blood moon goldfish will jump over the one block and two block obstacle?

Clever! Given a blood moon goldfish can jump a two block high wall, you probably need to wire that to an SR flip-flop so that rain detection is disabled during blood moon, right? Because the blood moon goldfish will jump over the one block and two block obstacle?
Probably a good idea. I hadn't even considered that. The thing is, if I understand what your suggesting, the flip-flop wouldn't activate until the blood-moon detector went off, which, if a blood-moon fish jumps over the wall to hit the plate and turn it on, then a blood-moon fish would have already tripped the normal rain detector.

There might be a way to combine both detectors into one machine, and work around that problem, I'll play with it some and see what I come up with.

Reactions: EMC
On top of rain and blood moons, what about finding a way to detect solar eclipses? There aren't going to be special enemies spawning underground.

On top of rain and blood moons, what about finding a way to detect solar eclipses? There aren't going to be special enemies spawning underground.
Wiki says: Unlike a Blood Moon, a Solar Eclipse only allows its own enemies to spawn on the surface, except for in Corruption, Crimson, and Ocean areas. So you could get Solar Eclipse mobs in an underground Corruption, Crimson or Ocean biome. How you could build a detector that would distinguish it's mobs from normal mobs for those biomes is beyond me.

Last edited:
From the wiki:
  • 1.2.2: NPCs will now take shelter in their houses during a Solar Eclipse.
(Emphasis on "now" added by me.) Seems like @DRKV read "now" as "not".

Pretty much any event/invasion type will cause NPC's to evac to their homes. I farmed Solar Eclipses at one point (before you could initiate them yourself via Solar Tablet...And even after that a few times for newly added stuff from later content patches.) I can attest to NPCs staying in their homes (or trying to get back to them if I kept them onscreen.) They only moved about if something threaten them (well, after NPCs fighting back was implemented.)

Last edited:

The right side are mockups where my friend and I were experimenting. Disregard those.

Above all four of them I had the plate wired to actuated block, that would drop a boulder, to trigger the final plate. It's a one-use design, and wired up to fireworks in the middle. You could do away with the boulder thing entirely and just have the plate wired to the appropriate music box.

For Day/Night Detector:
  • Logic Sensor(Day) which emits a signal when night turns to day.
  • Logic Sensor(Night) which emits a signal when day turns to night.
Wow! That's very clever!

hm...
Day sensor can have it's signal turn on a lamp on, above an AND gate, as well as enable the Day music.
multiple NPCs can stand on Pressure Plates at their forced standing space when they retreat home turning on other lamps above the AND gate.
AND gate triggers and plays Solar Eclipse music, and disables the Day Music.

Sounds legit?

Disregard my first designs I posted. I played around with my detectors more. Gold Fish, during rain, can jump much higher than I remember. Heres a Gold Fish, in my Blood-Moon detector, setting it off.

Rain Detector.gif
I could lower the roof, and/or raise the plate up, but then the Corrupted Gold-Fish (Blood Moon) wouldn't be able to get over it and the normal Goldfish could still set it off.

The Blood-Moon Fish had problems in its OWN detector making the jump with this original design. It took it about 10 attempts before it finally hit the plate. As you can see, the "It's raining" Goldfish has NO problems.

Back to the drawing board. I'm making new designs as we speak.

For the Blood Moon, you could set a Bunny Statue on platforms with plates below the platform. This set-up should be placed above the general/typical height/elevation the player would be at. Corrupt Bunnies will "chase" players through Platforms; normal bunnies usually don't fall through on their own. (Maybe Corrupt Goldfish have a similar platform behavior?)

I used to use this method when Soul farms made with corrupted statue mobs were viable (v1.1.x-era).

Oh yeah... Sorry about that. I that case though you can use one of these an a day sensor to sense solar eclipses.
Combining that mechanism and a day sensor would also create a detector that would get triggered by rain during the day. We'd need a tertiary filter to differentiate rain and solar eclipses. The only differences I can think of would be the mobs that spawn, or the way goldfish walk.

Considering @AlexanderStarship says his original blood-moon detector was only being triggered during rain, we could use that in conjunction with the daylight and NPC in-house detector to differentiate rain from solar eclipses.

I'm not on my PC right now, so I can't build it, but I'll try my best to describe it. AND gate 1 would have 2 off lamps. One triggered by a day light detector, the other triggered by the NPC. The output of AND gate 1 would trigger the goldfish statue to check if it was raining. If it was raining, the daylight sensor, NPC detector, and rain detector would trigger an AND gate, if the goldfish didn't trigger the rain detector, yet the fish got spawned by AND gate 1, it would trigger the solar eclipse detector.

I'll try to build it later today if I need to/am wanted to.

EDIT: IIRC, the goldfish swims out of the statue the same direction every time, right? One way we could differentiate rain and eclipse would be to have a pressure plate on both sides of the statue. Basically, it'd be Alexander's rain detector, but with a pressure plate on the far right so if it wasn't raining, it'd just bounce off of the left wall and swim to the right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom