Music box machine

Combining that mechanism and a day sensor would also create a detector that would get triggered by rain during the day. We'd need a tertiary filter to differentiate rain and solar eclipses. The only differences I can think of would be the mobs that spawn, or the way goldfish walk.

Considering @AlexanderStarship says his original blood-moon detector was only being triggered during rain, we could use that in conjunction with the daylight and NPC in-house detector to differentiate rain from solar eclipses.

I'm not on my PC right now, so I can't build it, but I'll try my best to describe it. AND gate 1 would have 2 off lamps. One triggered by a day light detector, the other triggered by the NPC. The output of AND gate 1 would trigger the goldfish statue to check if it was raining. If it was raining, the daylight sensor, NPC detector, and rain detector would trigger an AND gate, if the goldfish didn't trigger the rain detector, yet the fish got spawned by AND gate 1, it would trigger the solar eclipse detector.

I'll try to build it later today if I need to/am wanted to.

EDIT: IIRC, the goldfish swims out of the statue the same direction every time, right? One way we could differentiate rain and eclipse would be to have a pressure plate on both sides of the statue. Basically, it'd be Alexander's rain detector, but with a pressure plate on the far right so if it wasn't raining, it'd just bounce off of the left wall and swim to the right.

The Blood-Moon detector worked during Blood-Moon, but also during Rain. The Rain Goldfish can walk and jump and set it off. The Blood-Moon Fish flops around and after a few attempts manages to clear the wall.

Everytime my fish spawned, the always spawned the same direction, opposite the way the statue was facing. So if the Goldfish Statues face is facing left, the fish spawns and heads right.
[doublepost=1501438380,1501438180][/doublepost]
The Blood-Moon detector worked during Blood-Moon, but also during Rain. The Rain Goldfish can walk and jump and set it off. The Blood-Moon Fish flops around and after a few attempts manages to clear the wall.

Everytime my fish spawned, the always spawned the same direction, opposite the way the statue was facing. So if the Goldfish Statues face is facing left, the fish spawns and heads right.

My rain detector is 100% fool-proof. Blood-Fish cannot escape the water area.
However the Blood-Moon detector is broken, as a Rain-Fish can escape and set it off. For easier clarification.

Reactions: EMC

[doublepost=1501438380,1501438180][/doublepost]

My rain detector is 100% fool-proof. Blood-Fish cannot escape the water area.
However the Blood-Moon detector is broken, as a Rain-Fish can escape and set it off. For easier clarification.
Ah, I see. We don't need the blood on detector for my idea though, and we can make blood moon detectors in other ways. Have you tested bunnies?

I have not. Been busy working on castle.
In an attempt to build what I was thinking of, I found the rain detector inconsistent. It was raining and the fish wouldn't step on the blocks and just keep swimming.
[doublepost=1501443261,1501442280][/doublepost]Luckily, it rained at the perfect time. IDK what it is, or if I did something wrong, but it seems very inconsistent.

In an attempt to build what I was thinking of, I found the rain detector inconsistent. It was raining and the fish wouldn't step on the blocks and just keep swimming.
[doublepost=1501443261,1501442280][/doublepost]Luckily, it rained at the perfect time. IDK what it is, or if I did something wrong, but it seems very inconsistent.
Slope the first block next to the water. He'll walk right up it then, but normal fish will stay in the tank.

Slope the first block next to the water. He'll walk right up it then, but normal fish will stay in the tank.
When not raining, the fish bounces on that corner and still makes it up, eventually triggering the pressure plate. We may need to take a different approach when rain-checking.

EDIT: I'm considering a series of pressure plates. The non-rain fish bounces and would skip over pressure plates whereas the rain fish walks in a straight line. That, or an overhead row of pressure plates that only a bouncing fish could hit. That row would then trigger traps to kill it before it reaches the final detection pressure plate. Almost like a maze that only a walking fish could reach.

When not raining, the fish bounces on that corner and still makes it up, eventually triggering the pressure plate. We may need to take a different approach when rain-checking.
Use the blood-moon design. It will not allow a normal fish to trigger the plate. Im building a revised one now thats alittle taller to also not allow blood-moon fish. Ill share gifs in a few mins.

Use the blood-moon design. It will not allow a normal fish to trigger the plate. Im building a revised one now thats alittle taller to also not allow blood-moon fish. Ill share gifs in a few mins.
I found that with the current blood moon design, normal fish can trigger it, but it takes a while. I think we could set it so there's a 5 second timer started when the fish is spawned, and if the fish doesn't trigger the pressure plate in time, it dies to traps and then an output gets sent as our "no rain" output.
[doublepost=1501445955,1501445230][/doublepost]With this design:
Capture 2017-07-30 16_12_19.png
Capture 2017-07-30 16_12_34.png

The green wire from the top gets a pule sent by the NPC checker. If NPC is indoors, the two lamps it's linked to should be on.
Top red wire that leads off-screen would send a pulse if it is day and it's raining, bottom red off-screen wire would send a pulse if a solar eclipse is happening.

Basically, if it's day and the NPC is in their house, a pulse is sent that does two things. 1) It summons the goldfish and 2) starts a 5 second timer. The goldfish needs to trigger the pressure plate in 5 seconds (can only be done during rain) or else it dies and the pulse is sent as if a solar eclipse is happening.

Attach that to this design. Its 100% fool-proof now. Evidence provided in GIF's below. I used TEdit to change the weather from Normal, to Rain, to Blood-Moon. Each time I spawned a fish, and let it sit for 5 mins observing their behaviour. Rain fish I just hit the switch over and over for 5 mins. Rain Fish had no problem triggering the plate.
Normal-fish and Blood-Fish could not get over the (now) 3 high wall to touch the plate. If for some reason a normal/blood-fish DOES manage to hit it, I suspect we could just raise the plate up another block (as Rain Fish seemed to jump the now 3 high wall with ease).

rain fish.gif
normal fish.gif
blood fish.gif

This is now a 100% fully functional and normal/blood-fish proof Rain Detector.
I'm now working on the opposite (A blood-moon only detector)

Attach that to this design. Its 100% fool-proof now. Evidence provided in GIF's below. I used TEdit to change the weather from Normal, to Rain, to Blood-Moon. Each time I spawned a fish, and let it sit for 5 mins observing their behaviour. Rain fish I just hit the switch over and over for 5 mins. Rain Fish had no problem triggering the plate.
Normal-fish and Blood-Fish could not get over the (now) 3 high wall to touch the plate. If for some reason a normal/blood-fish DOES manage to hit it, I suspect we could just raise the plate up another block (as Rain Fish seemed to jump the now 3 high wall with ease).

This is now a 100% fully functional and normal/blood-fish proof Rain Detector.
I'm now working on the opposite (A blood-moon only detector)
Hmm. IDK if we could keep it going with fish. Zombies can open doors during blood moons, so we could set up a door and a Zombie statue. If the door doesn't get opened within X amount of seconds, the zombie dies and it's not a blood moon. If the Zombie opens the door, it can trigger the output that would be signaled if it were a blood moon.

The only issue with that method would be that it requires a player nearby.

Hmm. IDK if we could keep it going with fish. Zombies can open doors during blood moons, so we could set up a door and a Zombie statue. If the door doesn't get opened within X amount of seconds, the zombie dies and it's not a blood moon. If the Zombie opens the door, it can trigger the output that would be signaled if it were a blood moon.

The only issue with that method would be that it requires a player nearby.
Im playing with Bunnies for Blood-Moon detector, but that also requires a player nearby.

Im playing with Bunnies for Blood-Moon detector, but that also requires a player nearby.
I know critters can't teleport. IDK about Corrupt Bunnies, but you could set up a mechanism that'd trigger a teleporter. If the machine detects the bunny in the new location, it's a blood moon. If not, it isn't.

Turns out Bunnies are the key to a Blood-Moon detector. Normal bunnies can only hop over a 3 high wall. Corrupted Bunnies can hop over a 4 high wall. It will require the Player nearby, on the side the plate is, for this to work, but it works for its intended purpose.

bunny.gif
blood bunny.gif

Turns out Bunnies are the key to a Blood-Moon detector. Normal bunnies can only hop over a 3 high wall. Corrupted Bunnies can hop over a 4 high wall. It will require the Player nearby, on the side the plate is, for this to work, but it works for its intended purpose.

Good find! You could mirror it to have it work on both sides.

I don't think Bunnies fall through platforms, so you could incorporate a bottom pressure plate for when you're below. Not sure if that'd be too helpful though.

I though of a way you could make a blood moon detector without needing a player near by. First you would have two of those goldfish setups you made for the rain detector with one of them working for either blood moon or rain. Then, using logic gates, you have it so that if both of the setups work, then it turns on the blood moon music, but if, however, only the rain setup is working, then it would turn on the rain music.

I though of a way you could make a blood moon detector without needing a player near by. First you would have two of those goldfish setups you made for the rain detector with one of them working for either blood moon or rain. Then, using logic gates, you have it so that if both of the setups work, then it turns on the blood moon music, but if, however, only the rain setup is working, then it would turn on the rain music.
Thats pretty smart idea, but the blood-moon fish machine fails, so it wouldnt work. Normal fish and Rain fish still set it off. We still dont have a 100% accurate machine that discriminates against normal and rainfish, but would work with corrupted fish.

All we've done is refine my Rain detector and made it 100% accurate.

But your fail-safe check idea gives me another idea: What if we put the Rain Detector and the Blood-Moon Bunny detector in/around or near the NPC used for Eclipse detecting. (Use him as bait for the Blood-Bunny so the player doesnt have to be near). When night comes, he'll go in his house, Blood moons only happen at night so he can trigger the switch when he goes inside. Bunny spawns, and if normal bunny, dies. However if its corrupted, itll go towards the direction he is, and hit the switch.

We could also build a fail-safe another way (would still require the NPC or player) but it wouldnt be triggered by the NPC. The Rain Detector, when triggered, would spawn the Bunny in the Blood-Moon machine.

Either way, these ideas are starting to coalesce into something awesome. A multi-purpose day/night/rain/blood-moon/solar-eclipse detector machine. Which is freakn awesome.

The problem is though, that if the player is too far away, statue mobs will just immediately despawn. If you just want to use the detector to set off music boxes, that works, because they are localized anyway.

Was looking for something else when I found this little gem. It's a load detector (When the world loads, water settles, forcing it down this machine, where a water sensor is, that sends a one-time pulse to start other machines). Might come in handy for some of your detectors and whatnot.

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/world-load-detector.75969/

[doublepost=1511632179,1501818421][/doublepost]Combined both previous detectors into one machine, an Anti-Weather machine, that detects when it is raining, and/or Bloodmoon, then activates a Sundial to skip said storm or Bloodmoon.
Capture 2017-11-25 12_32_27.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I made it a little more compact. The character has to stay to the left of the bunny statue or it won't work during blood moon. Corrupted fish would stay in the pit killing friendly fish. Add a teleporter to solve this problem because corrupted critters can be teleported.
upload_2019-3-3_11-21-40.png

To make it work wherever the character is, it has to be one tile higher.
upload_2019-3-3_11-31-8.png
upload_2019-3-3_11-50-28.png

This doesn't work when the character is right above or below the statue.
upload_2019-3-3_11-57-2.png

Last edited:
I made it a little more compact. The character has to stay to the left of the bunny statue or it won't work during blood moon. Corrupted fish would stay in the pit killing friendly fish. Add a teleporter to solve this problem because corrupted critters can be teleported.
View attachment 217453
To make it work wherever the character is, it has to be one tile higher.
View attachment 217454View attachment 217455
This doesn't work when the character is right above or below the statue.
View attachment 217456
Those look like some nice designs! The only issue for the right one is that penguin statues don't float.

Back
Top Bottom