**REPORTED** Music slider shoves itself back to 0%?

I tried reordering the loading of game assets to hopefully give the sound a better chance of getting loaded. Don't wait too long for the game to load, since it will retry forever on a failure.

Install Instructions:
Extract the provided zip file into a folder. Copy Terraria.exe (Steam Windows 1.4.1.1) into that folder. Run patch.bat. Copy Terraria_AudioLoadReorder.exe into the Terraria Folder. Make sure steam is open. Run Terraria_AudioCrash.exe from the Terraria folder.

Edit: added instructions

It's working perfectly, thank you very much, strangely the game loaded faster than usual.

I tried reordering the loading of game assets to hopefully give the sound a better chance of getting loaded. Don't wait too long for the game to load, since it will retry forever on a failure.

Install Instructions:
Extract the provided zip file into a folder. Copy Terraria.exe (Steam Windows 1.4.1.1) into that folder. Run patch.bat. Copy Terraria_AudioLoadReorder.exe into the Terraria Folder. Make sure steam is open. Run Terraria_AudioCrash.exe from the Terraria folder.

Thank you very much for the fix! Maybe create a topic on the forum? It's quite difficult to find it here...

I've been having this problem as well. I don't use the music much unless I'm hunting crimson/corruption so the music instantly going from 100 to 0 is a bit of a bother. The sound is almost the same, I'll put it up to whatever volume set I want it at it and it'll stay for the remainder of however long I'm on the game, but when I log off and come back on it's at 0 again. I wish you all the best luck fixing it, thank you so much for your hard work! =]

Any bug fixes?
The latest official update (October) does not yet provide a date for when to expect the hotfix.
... The team is currently hard at work on the second wave of hotfixes for Terraria 1.4.1 - we are feeling confident that this may be the one that covers off all of the remaining issues. We will have an update on timing and content of that (1.4.1.2) just as soon as we can. ...
Either wait for 1.4.1.2 or use my patch if you are impatient.

Well, sad news is, 1.4.1.2 does not fix the bug. No music at all, no matter the music level slider... Gonna wait more for the fix i guess.

Do you guys want me to make another fix for 1.4.1.2?

I have not yet checked to see what Relogic changed, but audio is still loading in parallel with a ton of other files, making debugging in real-time or reliably reproducing the bug impractical. This reduces the chances of an official patch fully resolving this issue.

Edit: It seems music streaming is now enabled.

Last edited:
I'm not aware of a specific user-side fix for this issue.

From a dev-side, this is a very difficult fix to work on, because none of us can reproduce it, and it doesn't generally produce error logs. We believe we are aware of the cause and have an experimental fix which will arrive in the next hotfix (which does not have a current release date).

It is suspected that the cause is that certain PCs are unable to properly load all of the music files when the game is launching (due to a combination of how much music we added in 1.4, some back-end changes we made to music loading, and a fix to music file quality that increased the size of the music files in 1.4.1).

Why some PCs can handle it and others can't, we aren't sure, but it causes a "music crash" which prevents music from functioning for the rest of the gameplay session. Or that is our current operating theory, anyway.

We'll know better once we can release the fix for it, but we aren't prepared to do that yet.

I had a similar problem in 1.4 when I used my own Wavebank. This has now been fixed, but for some reason in 1.4.1.2 custom wavebanks don't seem to work anymore, and the vanilla terraria wavebank has quadrupled in size. Any notes?

Here the music works again, I really hope that the same thing happens to you.
For me music stopped working at 1.4.1.1 and still doesn't in 1.4.1.2. All else works fine. I have no texturepacks, no wavebanks. I even reinstalled the game etc. nothing...
Also, game does not start with 0% music, nor does it reset to 0%. It just doesnt work, no matter how loud music is set.

For me music stopped working at 1.4.1.1 and still doesn't in 1.4.1.2. All else works fine. I have no texturepacks, no wavebanks. I even reinstalled the game etc. nothing...
Also, game does not start with 0% music, nor does it reset to 0%. It just doesnt work, no matter how loud music is set.
Did you also try deleting your config files?

Just wanted to say that patch 1.4.1.2 fixed the problem with music slider at 0% for me.
Thank you, developers! I have voted for you on Steam ("Labor of Love" for Terraria). :)
Happy New Year to you all and Merry Christmas!

PS: Windows XP, 32bit. GOG version.

Install Instructions:

"This patch is not attended to this ROM" What do with it? Help, please

Back
Top Bottom