Xbox 360 My Complaints With Terraria on Consoles (Specifically Xbox 360)

Burgie

Spazmatism
I have recently (Months ago) decided to play Terraria on Xbox 360 to check out some of the console exclusive stuff and to try to get back into the game. After putting PC side by side to Xbox 360, I have realized how much better PC is to console in every way ever.

Number One: Character Creation

The character creation in console Terraria is very limited compared to PC. You only have a small color pallet to work with, meaning you can't create that perfect Rick Astley character you've always wanted. PC Terraria give you an unlimited selection of colors, with an addition of 4 styles for your little Terraria dude. (Yeah, 1.3 have us styles and that Console doesn't have 1.3 yet, but I will elaborate on that later on)

Number Two: Screen Centering

The screen MOVES! :mad: In Terraria, your dude is always perfectly centered and never moves away. (Except for using th Portal Gun and Rod of Discord) This is really important sometimes when making Terraria videos, especially when you are trying to focus on a little detail on the character. In console Terraria your screen is constantly all over the place and can get really annoying. Another thing I hate about the screen for console is...

Number Three: Screen Resolution

The screen resolution cannot be configured for consoles. If you have played Terraria for any amount of time, you will know that decreasing the resolution zooms in on your character. When playing Terraria for Xbox 360 I get killed constantly by bosses that I couldn't see because the resolution is extremely low. I rely on being able to see things from further away when playing Terraria and this just THROWS IT OUT THE DOGGY DOOR.:merchantmad:

NUMBER FOUR!: CRAFTING INTERFACE!

Oh GAWWD the crafting interface is SO BAD. It literally took my 5 minutes to figure out how to craft a furnace. (YES I had all the ingredients to cook up a furnace.) I feel like I don't even need to go in to detail about how bad the whole inventory is. PC NAILED IT on the first try. Console... just... errchghedh.~:sigh:

NUMBER FFFFFIVE!: SERVER HOSTING...

Is impossible to do.&-_- ONTO THE NEXT COMPLAINT!

NUMBER SIX!: CHANGED MUSIC!

Why would you change the music for space and ocean? the ocean track is my favorite in the entire game and they just :red:ED IT UP! Not only that, but they swapped the name for the snow and ice music boxes. Why would you do this to us 505? WHY?!:dryadcry:

This next one is probably the biggest offender. Here goes..

NUMBER... SEVEN...: DELAYED UPDATES'o_O

It does what it says on the can. Console players don't get new updates until much later. WHHHYYYY?!?!? Whatever.

In conclusion: PC is supreme and console players get the:red2: end of the stick. Soz.

Going into a Console Thread and trolling specific users is disrespectful.
Pc Master Race.

505 has alot on their plate you know. Be glad they ported it atleast.

Pc Master Race.

505 has alot on their plate you know. Be glad they ported it atleast.

Spreading "PC Master Race" crap around the Mobile and Console sections is a clear way to show people that you intend on trolling them, and that's exactly what you tried to do. Read the Rules and Guidelines next time before you post like that again. Thanks.

I can answer a couple of these questions for you @Special Eddison :

Engines reasoning for doing this was so that it would reduce motion sickness and feel more fluid, as users are generally much farther from their screen as apposed to a PC.

Screen Resolution just cannot be changed for 360. The game runs at a native resolution for the Console (I want to say its like 800x1000 ish). This is because the Processors would not be able to handle the load that extra screen resolution would give. However, you do have increased control on how far you can zoom in and out on the Xbox One and PS4 editions.

Actually, those 2 tracks are exclusive to Console, and Console alone. They came out first as well, as the 1.2 update was not introduced as of yet. Re-logic decided that the aforementioned Musical Pieces will stay exclusive to their respective systems, as Sky and Ocean had new onea made for 1.2.

Also.. The reason it has Delayed updates is because it is a port on Consoles.... And plus, Engine has to code for 4 different platform, utilizing Redigit's coding style. It's not exactly the easiest task to do.

Last edited:
Spreading "PC Master Race" crap around the Mobile and Console sections is a clear way to show people that you intend on trolling them, and that's exactly what you tried to do. Read the Rules and Guidelines next time before you post like that again. Thanks.

I can answer a couple of these questions for you @Special Eddison :

Engines reasoning for doing this was so that it would reduce motion sickness and feel more fluid, as users are generally much farther from their screen as apposed to a PC.

Screen Resolution just cannot be changed for 360. The game runs at a native resolution for the Console (I want to say its like 800x1000 ish). This is because the Processors would not be able to handle the load that extra screen resolution would give. However, you do have increased control on how far you can zoom in and out on the Xbox One and PS4 editions.

Actually, those 2 tracks are exclusive to Console, and Console alone. They came out first as well, as the 1.2 update was not introduced as of yet. Re-logic decided that the aforementioned Musical Pieces will stay exclusive to their respective systems, as Sky and Ocean had new onea made for 1.2.

Also.. The reason it has Delayed updates is because it is a port on Consoles.... And plus, Engine has to code for 4 different platform, utilizing Redigit's coding style. It's not exactly the easiest task to do.
Hey, thanks for answering some of my complains. Console still gives my motion sickness though.

Hey, thanks for answering some of my complains. Console still gives my motion sickness though.
Fair enough, I personally wish that there was a toggle for the screen to be still like PC as well, if you wanted my opinion for that as well :)

I have recently (Months ago) decided to play Terraria on Xbox 360 to check out some of the console exclusive stuff and to try to get back into the game. After putting PC side by side to Xbox 360, I have realized how much better PC is to console in every way ever.

Number One: Character Creation

The character creation in console Terraria is very limited compared to PC. You only have a small color pallet to work with, meaning you can't create that perfect Rick Astley character you've always wanted. PC Terraria give you an unlimited selection of colors, with an addition of 4 styles for your little Terraria dude. (Yeah, 1.3 have us styles and that Console doesn't have 1.3 yet, but I will elaborate on that later on)
but it's not limited though

The screen MOVES! :mad: In Terraria, your dude is always perfectly centered and never moves away. (Except for using th Portal Gun and Rod of Discord) This is really important sometimes when making Terraria videos, especially when you are trying to focus on a little detail on the character. In console Terraria your screen is constantly all over the place and can get really annoying. Another thing I hate about the screen for console is...
i think it's fancy but ok fair enough

The screen resolution cannot be configured for consoles. If you have played Terraria for any amount of time, you will know that decreasing the resolution zooms in on your character. When playing Terraria for Xbox 360 I get killed constantly by bosses that I couldn't see because the resolution is extremely low. I rely on being able to see things from further away when playing Terraria and this just THROWS IT OUT THE DOGGY DOOR.:merchantmad:
git gud the reason the consoles are like this is because your face isn't literally a foot away from the screen. most people are chilling on a couch or something and are a good distance away.
NUMBER FOUR!: CRAFTING INTERFACE!

Oh GAWWD the crafting interface is SO BAD. It literally took my 5 minutes to figure out how to craft a furnace. (YES I had all the ingredients to cook up a furnace.) I feel like I don't even need to go in to detail about how bad the whole inventory is. PC NAILED IT on the first try. Console... just... errchghedh.~:sigh:
..what? the crafting interface is one of my favorite things from the console version..
NUMBER FFFFFIVE!: SERVER HOSTING...

Is impossible to do.&-_- ONTO THE NEXT COMPLAINT!
considering you can't do anything like that on any other console game, well.

Why would you change the music for space and ocean? the ocean track is my favorite in the entire game and they just :red:ED IT UP! Not only that, but they swapped the name for the snow and ice music boxes. Why would you do this to us 505? WHY?!:dryadcry:

This next one is probably the biggest offender. Here goes..
now you're just nitpicking.
NUMBER... SEVEN...: DELAYED UPDATES'o_O

It does what it says on the can. Console players don't get new updates until much later. WHHHYYYY?!?!? Whatever.

In conclusion: PC is supreme and console players get the:red2: end of the stick. Soz.
Yes because the PC updates can be instantly ported over.

I agree. Especially the screen resolution one. I hate how its not able to be zoomed out like PC, but things can change, we still have more updates coming.

Hmm, I much prefer the console version for its superior interface, controls and free zooming ability. Delayed updates are a drag, but I have the pc version if I get too impatient.

lol... this was a pretty funny post. I think what style you like depends on what you started playing the game on. I played it on the xbox 360 first and have always thought that the console game was sooooo much better than the PC (except for the extra content). Using the a,s,d, and other keys on a keyboard to move was clunky and hard to remember. Using the joystick on the console was much more natural and waaay easier once you learned it. You could play the game without ever looking at your controller...

... also, playing on a big screen TV beats the crap out a 20something inch computer screen every day of the week...

... as for your other complaints... all those different character faces, colors, hairstyles, etc. are just fluff... they take up room and add no practical purpose to the game... the PC has a huge hard drive to store all that, but on the console storage space is much more limited. The game is smaller, runs faster, and is easier to debug without all of that *extra* stuff...

... and since I don't play multiplayer (ever), not having a server didn't matter at all...

... so, in conclusion, if the PS4 version ever gets all the content of the PC version, I will probably never play the PC version again.

... Just my .02

~Jim

I play on almost all platforms (PC, Xbox one/360, PS3/4, Vita and Android) altho i play mobile least because of the awful controls. I really enjoy playing all the others. Just depends what screen i'm at when i want to dig, fight and explore.

I have bought this game more than any other in all my 20+ years of buying games and will add the Nintendo versions to the collection once they release (the WiiU is built for this game alone)

Always hated the screen resolution when playing on ps3. =_=
I'm not sure how stuff like processors/Graphics cards work and all but, if a ps3 can run FFXIV at 720p with minimum frame rate drops (Except during events with loads of people, hello 5 fps) shouldn't it be able to run terraria at least a little higher?
Or is there something really hindering it from playing at higher resolutions?
I bought it for ps3 to play when I'm not at home, easier to bring than my PC, never thought I'd miss the PC version so badly lol.

The delayed updated is because Terraria is not the only game on Xbox Live and PSN, they have many other games to update.

Always hated the screen resolution when playing on ps3. =_=
I'm not sure how stuff like processors/Graphics cards work and all but, if a ps3 can run FFXIV at 720p with minimum frame rate drops (Except during events with loads of people, hello 5 fps) shouldn't it be able to run terraria at least a little higher?
Or is there something really hindering it from playing at higher resolutions?
I bought it for ps3 to play when I'm not at home, easier to bring than my PC, never thought I'd miss the PC version so badly lol.
Well here's a comparison of PC Terraria @ 720p and PS3 Terraria (found on the internet, Don't have a good way of screen shotting my 360 version)
PC Terraria 1280x720.png

terraria-collector_s-edition-ps3-5.jpg

So yeah, they're not the same zoom level but it might be that FF is much better optimized than is possible to do with Terraria. Keep in mind you can perform many actions simultaneously (or nearly) on Terraria, Jump, Grapple, take damage, deal damage. Not to mention there are a large number of animated sprites simultaneously at any given time :)

Last edited:
I don't have any complaints about Xbox 360 version I think it's a great setup for the console itself but that's just my opinion.

the game world in Terraria is also 100% destructible and composed of (over a million?) tiles, which is likely the reason why it isn't able to run at a higher resolution on ps3/360. keeping track of each individual tile and it's state (normal, sloped, harvested) takes a huge amount of processing power, even if the world is broken into chunks and loaded a bit at a time (which I think is the case, since you can see new chunks loading in if you move fast enough, not to mention the way lag effects worlds in multiplayer.)
this is why terraria and minecraft don't have HD textures/better graphics. no consumer has a computer powerful enough to run that yet.
for what it is, Red and team have managed to perform some programming magic to make things run as well as they do on PC, and engine has their work cut out for them to make it run well at all on console.

most people don't realize that stuff. I'm not a programmer, but I have a basic understanding of what goes on under the hood of Terraria.

I MUCH prefer the crafting menu on console. it's actually one of the main benefits of playing on console...

I miss the PC ocean music too, though.

Last edited:
the game world in Terraria is also 100% destructible and composed of (over a million?) tiles, which is likely the reason why it isn't able to run at a higher resolution on ps3/360. keeping track of each individual tile and it's state (normal, sloped, harvested) takes a huge amount of processing power, even if the world is broken into chunks and loaded a bit at a time (which I think is the case, since you can see new chunks loading in if you move fast enough, not to mention the way lag effects worlds in multiplayer.)
this is why terraria and minecraft don't have HD textures/better graphics. no consumer has a computer powerful enough to run that yet.
for what it is, Red and team have managed to perform some programming magic to make things run as well as they do on PC, and engine has their work cut out for them to make it run well at all on console.

most people don't realize that stuff. I'm not a programmer, but I have a basic understanding of what goes on under the hood of Terraria.

I MUCH prefer the crafting menu on console. it's actually one of the main benefits of playing on console...

I miss the PC ocean music too, though.
it seems Xbox 360 and PS3 lack some processing power, but PS4 seems to run at 1900x1100 something without even lagging. don't know about Xbox One though.

it seems Xbox 360 and PS3 lack some processing power, but PS4 seems to run at 1900x1100 something without even lagging. don't know about Xbox One though.

I know that the ps3 has always had problems because it has less video memory than 360. games that ran perfectly on 360 had to be further optimized to run well on ps3. Terraria is probably no exception.

I've only ever played console, but the fact that you decide to share your opinion on a forum? MY GOD HE'S MAD! MAD I SAY! I mean, really, come on guys...

Back
Top Bottom