• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

My current thoughts on TOW

What are your thoughts on TOW?

• What the heck is TOW? (...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm really hyped, and I have high hopes for the game.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • It's going to be a disappointment. I can tell.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • It's taking too long!

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • I need more information on the game before a general idea can be established.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • lOl uR a NuB LOloLoloololL Ur sTiLl tahkIng aBote tOW

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The TechnoMancer

Skeletron Prime
The game looks awesome, with the improved graphics and... Well, basically improved everything. It looks really cool, not to mention the hype... I hope it isn't too expensive.

I'm getting tired of waiting, though. It's been forever, and I've began losing interest in the project. There's nothing left for me on terraria, so I hope Otherworld comes out soon. However, that is an unlikely scenario. Well, this isn't the worst that could happen. Let me make a list on the worst things that could happen. (1 being the worst.)

10. It turns into a crappy pay to win mobile game
9. Graphics are reduced greatly to lower budget
8. Game turns out to be a total clone of terraria
7. There's ONE thing that ruins the entire game
6. The project is completely abandonded
5. The game doesn't live up to hype and dies
4. There grows an overwhelming and unbearably horrid story involving romance with you and the mechanic
3. The delays continue until everyone loses interest in the game
2. The project is rushed and game-breaking glitches are everywhere
1. (All of the above)

Well, that took some time to think of.

Last edited:

Hyero

Terrarian
Are you talking about the graphics from very early this year?
They might be gone along with the original development team.
Does no-one follow what has happened to this project?
This is why there's a 'I need more information on the game before a general idea can be established.' option lol.

I've stopped following the initial development because the devs never want to talk about it. Given it's been months since the last post I assume everything is still the same. It might just be a totally different game now though.

landstalker

Terrarian
This is why there's a 'I need more information on the game before a general idea can be established.' option lol.

I've stopped following the initial development because the devs never want to talk about it. Given it's been months since the last post I assume everything is still the same. It might just be a totally different game now though.
As I have stated here several times you don't NEED more information at all.
No-one is entitled to any information regarding this or any other game you may have on your radar other than a release date and that will arrive when the development team see fit to put it out there.
This will not happen until the project is at a stage where they are confident it is moving along as they envisioned it would, that gameplay is as the design has outlined and that the graphics are mostly complete.
Any information regarding any of those points is the priority of the development team and nobody else.
Just because someone is a fan of a certain game does not entitle them to information regarding said product.

So, whether T:OW stays a tower defence title as was originally intended, turns into a role playing game, becomes a sandbox/Skinner box like the original or is even released as a trading card game, you will just have to wait and see.
None of what is happening between Re-Logic and Pipeworks is of any business to anyone except themselves.

The Devs are busy developing. They don't need to talk.

Hyero

Terrarian
Lack of PR leads to D.O.A titles. Say you have a lemonade stand with the best lemonade in the world and everyone around you thinks it's great, but everyone else outside of the community only knows of your failed attempts to create it and you don't address the problem by reaching out to them and they assume your lemonade isn't worth it. With time people might eventually change their minds and check out your lemonade, but it's going to gain traction slowly.

We've got a strong community here and several large YouTubers that make videos on Terraria itself that will certainly keep T:OW afloat, but the stigma of having been in development for nearly 3 years now with barely anything to show for itself and only a handful of messages from the team saying it exists bi-annually and has to go under development again is not good. They don't have to give any information to us if they want to, but they won't get anywhere by not addressing the community that they're checking into the development of their game and assuring us that everything is proceeding well.

There's not point looking forward to a game if it's essentially vaporware that's stigmatized with failures. I guess I'll have to update my flair soon though with KH3 coming out next year.

landstalker

Terrarian
Lack of PR leads to D.O.A titles. Say you have a lemonade stand with the best lemonade in the world and everyone around you thinks it's great, but everyone else outside of the community only knows of your failed attempts to create it and you don't address the problem by reaching out to them and they assume your lemonade isn't worth it. With time people might eventually change their minds and check out your lemonade, but it's going to gain traction slowly.

We've got a strong community here and several large YouTubers that make videos on Terraria itself that will certainly keep T:OW afloat, but the stigma of having been in development for nearly 3 years now with barely anything to show for itself and only a handful of messages from the team saying it exists bi-annually and has to go under development again is not good. They don't have to give any information to us if they want to, but they won't get anywhere by not addressing the community that they're checking into the development of their game and assuring us that everything is proceeding well.

There's not point looking forward to a game if it's essentially vaporware that's stigmatized with failures. I guess I'll have to update my flair soon though with KH3 coming out next year.
You think T:OW has been in development for 3 years?
Try four.
Also, you seem to be under the impression that Re-Logic and Pipeworks have no idea about marketing and need the assistance of forum members.
I think you are slightly mistaken in this assumption.
Pipeworks which has existed since 1999 is comprised of developers from Dynamix which ran from 1984 to 2001 so there's a distinct possibility that at least some of the Pipeworks team have been developing games longer than some Terraria fans have been alive.
Re-Logic, knowing the problems that arose in T:OW's initial development are almost certainly not going to allow any further errors to occur, so they will handle matters related to marketing in their own time, which is probably when they have something to show and not before.
What use are comments like "Everything is progressing smoothly" or "T:OW is looking great."???
That will only add fuel to the fire and cause the impatient members of the forum to start asking to see the progress so they can judge how the game looks and if it matches their ideas of greatness.

There has been no negative post saying it has been cancelled, so it would seem to be safe to assume that it is still being developed.
The fact that there is no further information is a bitter pill, but one you must swallow.

You will be informed when they feel like it.
They are professional developers.
They have been stung once, they do not wish to repeat the experience.

Last edited:

Lord Garak

Retinazer
Are you talking about the graphics from very early this year?
They might be gone along with the original development team.
Does no-one follow what has happened to this project?
Theseus's Ship

At this point I wish they had never released anything about OW whatsoever beyond the name. It created pointless speculation and hype over a troubled, incomplete, and uncertain project. It's completely understandable for anyone to be complaining it's taking too long when a lot of content has already been released.

landstalker

Terrarian
Theseus's Ship

At this point I wish they had never released anything about OW whatsoever beyond the name. It created pointless speculation and hype over a troubled, incomplete, and uncertain project. It's completely understandable for anyone to be complaining it's taking too long when a lot of content has already been released.
Your definition of a LOT is somewhat strange.
Several screenshots.

Oarius

Terrarian
This has been bugging me,

You think T:OW has been in development for 3 years?
Try four.

Also, you seem to be under the impression that Re-Logic and Pipeworks have no idea about marketing and need the assistance of forum members.
I think you are slightly mistaken in this assumption. <---[ i didnt read any marketing strategies from his prior post, he was simply stating that lack of communication with the fan base may not be good for them...]

Pipeworks which has existed since 1999 is comprised of developers from Dynamix which ran from 1984 to 2001 so there's a distinct possibility that at least some of the Pipeworks team have been developing games longer than some Terraria fans have been alive. <--- [ this has been bugging me, im getting a-, "they know way more cause they have been alive forever so you guys shut up and respect them!" -vibe from this whole statement]

Re-Logic, knowing the problems that arose in T:OW's initial development are almost certainly not going to allow any further errors to occur, so they will handle matters related to marketing in their own time, which is probably when they have something to show and not before.

What use are comments like "Everything is progressing smoothly" or "T:OW is looking great."??? <--- [its not the message that matters to us, the crowd, its the acknowledgement that they are able to reach out to, as is common with other triple A title developers, honestly i think it would be rude for us to become complacent with them ignoring a group trying to reach out to them]

That will only add fuel to the fire and cause the impatient members of the forum to start asking to see the progress so they can judge how the game looks and if it matches their ideas of greatness. <-- [this is a speculation and a straw-man what-if scenario...]

There has been no negative post saying it has been cancelled, so it would seem to be safe to assume that it is still being developed.
The fact that there is no further information is a bitter pill, but one you must swallow. <--

You will be informed when they feel like it.
They are professional developers. <--[the stigma of hiring a team that sat on a budget and did nothing for an entire year has us question the level of professionalism, which is why so many members are desperate for information on the project ] ---v
They have been stung once, they do not wish to repeat the experience.

Here is a scenario for you, theirs a presidential election coming up however no candidates have been revealed, so we have no idea what we are voting for, (in our case it's watching/following this T:OW game) the only thing revealed to us are the names, now several months later we heard about this new election coming up and its time for the old president to leave the office, however the news cabinet just simply states "you don't need to see, or hear about the new presidential candidates or their messages/plans to better the country, just know they are gonna be great." Now its time for the inauguration and we still have nothing except for the hope that the presidential candidate is going to be good. Something like this would cause frustrations among the people for several reasons.

Edit: Now before this thread derails, lets get back on topic, i believe they will probably rush it last minute and it wont live up to the hype-train that so many of us rode in on.

Kazzymodus

Staff member
This has been bugging me,

Here is a scenario for you, theirs a presidential election coming up however no candidates have been revealed, so we have no idea what we are voting for, (in our case it's watching/following this T:OW game) the only thing revealed to us are the names, now several months later we heard about this new election coming up and its time for the old president to leave the office, however the news cabinet just simply states "you don't need to see, or hear about the new presidential candidates or their messages/plans to better the country, just know they are gonna be great." Now its time for the inauguration and we still have nothing except for the hope that the presidential candidate is going to be good. Something like this would cause frustrations among the people for several reasons.

Edit: Now before this thread derails, lets get back on topic, i believe they will probably rush it last minute and it wont live up to the hype-train that so many of us rode in on.
The primary reason that would cause frustration would probably that it completely and utterly undermines the democratic process. :)

I don't think these two compare at all: democracy is literally all about the population choosing who is in charge. If they can not come to an informed decision about who is the best choice, it's not a democracy anymore. Therefore, they have the right to said information: what kind of person the candidate is, what their policies are, et cetera. The difference with T:OW is that we do not have a right to any information about T:OW, no matter how hyped you are or how many copies of Terraria you've bought. It's completely up to Re-Logic which and how much information they share, and it's in their best interest to only share information that's relevant to us. Of which, over the past few months, there simply hasn't been any.

greatmaguskyros

Steampunker
I know Terraria is still attracting new players ( I happen to be one!), but I think that with a game that is as old as Terraria itself, despite the fact that there are literally tons of mods out there for it, is that all games have a limited life span. Terraria has been around for 6 years, and T:OW was announced as T:OW in 2015 according to wikipedia, which puts it closer to three years than to four years. That being said, Terraria 2 was announced in 2013. So if we're counting Terraria 2 and T:OW as the same game (most information I have seen seem to indicate this is not the case) that would really mean a sequel of some kind has been forthcoming for almost five years now.

Those facts aside, if the wikipedia article is to be believed, people have been expecting a new game for a long time. I work with professional developers on a daily basis, some of these individuals have been developing longer than I have been alive. They pass screenshots and information about ongoing projects to our marketing team periodically to build hype and ensure interest in the new product is maintained.

It should be noted also that even game companies that are notorious for delaying games for months or longer often continue to publish updated materials throughout the development cycle of their product. Again it's about maintaining interest and presense in the face of delays and adversity.

So I think it's safe to assume that little to no real progress has been made, as others have already said. It's irritating that they don't have any information to share but we'll just have to wait for something more definitive in terms of updates.

landstalker

Terrarian
I know Terraria is still attracting new players ( I happen to be one!), but I think that with a game that is as old as Terraria itself, despite the fact that there are literally tons of mods out there for it, is that all games have a limited life span. Terraria has been around for 6 years, and T:OW was announced as T:OW in 2015 according to wikipedia, which puts it closer to three years than to four years. That being said, Terraria 2 was announced in 2013. So if we're counting Terraria 2 and T:OW as the same game (most information I have seen seem to indicate this is not the case) that would really mean a sequel of some kind has been forthcoming for almost five years now.

Those facts aside, if the wikipedia article is to be believed, people have been expecting a new game for a long time. I work with professional developers on a daily basis, some of these individuals have been developing longer than I have been alive. They pass screenshots and information about ongoing projects to our marketing team periodically to build hype and ensure interest in the new product is maintained.

It should be noted also that even game companies that are notorious for delaying games for months or longer often continue to publish updated materials throughout the development cycle of their product. Again it's about maintaining interest and presense in the face of delays and adversity.

So I think it's safe to assume that little to no real progress has been made, as others have already said. It's irritating that they don't have any information to share but we'll just have to wait for something more definitive in terms of updates.
Just because something is announced does not mean that was when development started.
It started in 2013.

Top Bottom