Pixel Art My first real sprite. I want feedback so i can get better

kunai (1).gif

I tried spriting a kunai

It looks kind of weird because it has a really thick outline on one side. The shape is pretty good, but the light and colors aren't.

I am very experienced making textures, been doing it all my life. I decided to not only make it better but give tips on how I did it.

1: Scale Down: It was simply too big for its quality level. If you want it to be big ingame, either raise the amount of squares or use "Item.scale = 6.5f;" instead. The code goes into the item code in the method named "SetDefaults()". I had to repair some damage upon scaling.

2: Math Fixes: While the curve on the bottom looks... ...different it causes the points to misalign and look like a wing or a kite. I went with a mathematically aligned approach to look like my source images. I simple redrew the outline on another layer in PDN then colored it when making this change.

3: The lighting should be consistent with other things in the game (Top Right). I reversed the side of light and of shadow to the opposite sides.

4: The colors were too basic and contrasting, especially using white directly next to black. I added 3d ambient occlusion tricks (For the part of the brain that sees colors and many shadows, it is actually not the eye which only sees gray no matter how many cones.) on the blade with a gradient. I also added more gradients around the edge. There are now 2 shades of light and neither are white anymore, they also span farther. The handle doesn't have a tacky black outline (never do that). The handle is also shaded with lighter shades closer to center with less and less contrast making a round appearance. The handle in general is less contrasting. The round thingy on the back now has lighting at all.

5: Scale Up: Scaling down to work pixel by pixel is fast and easy but Terraria uses 2 x 2 squares, so you have to double the size for consistency and because scale code isn't perfect.

6: Although I chose not to do these, other useful tricks are making different parts of the blade slightly different shade for more ambient occlusion tricks. Making it slightly blue can make it look better sometimes; Example: R 100, G 100, B 110. The handle could be longer but that is questionable.

And yes, in case it for some reason requires asking, you are allowed to use a modification of your own texture.

EDIT: Most people cannot see colors as well as I do but if you train at a young age, you can gain that ability. You are on the older side but still has a chance. At first it might seem a struggle and take hours to see slight differences, but it can become something you notice without trying in half a second.

Attachments

• 1 Scale Down.png
    1 Scale Down.png
    308 bytes · Views: 30
  • 2 Math Fixes.png
    2 Math Fixes.png
    282 bytes · Views: 29
  • 3 Consistant Light.png
    3 Consistant Light.png
    286 bytes · Views: 30
  • 4 Better Shading.png
    4 Better Shading.png