PC My Guide to Defeating the Moon Lord (Melee)

Ragnarr

Terrarian
I decided to do this because, after reading so many other guides to defeating the Moon Lord, I realized I wanted something simpler and thought there may be people out there that feel the same. I did not have the cosmic car key or other ideal mount and I am too impatient to build a complex arena or minecart setup or to tirelessly fight the Duke or wait for Martians to invade again and again to get the mounts.
I assume that anybody attempting the Moon Lord has played long enough to either acquire the items I had or to craft/collect them easily.

So this is what I came up with for the first time defeating the Moon Lord.

My Equipment:
  • Beetle Armor w/shell
    • Fire Gauntlet - Menacing
    • Celestial Stone - Menacing
    • Destroyer Emblem - Menacing
    • Warrior Emblem - Menacing
    • Star Veil - Menacing
  • Godly Daybreak
  • Demonic Solar Eruption
  • Stardust Dragon Staff
My Buffs:
  • Greater Healing
  • Wrath
  • Rage
  • Lifeforce
  • Ironskin
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • Ale
  • Flask of Ichor
My Arena:

arena1.png

The arena is built with asphalt.
On the far left of the arena (not shown) and far enough away to keep her safe from the Moon Lord but not too far away to get to her quickly, my nurse is housed. There is also another campfire to buff the entire arena.

My Approach:

Pretty straight-forward. I summon my Stardust Dragon before he spawns and hit my buffs when he spawns. When my health drops by about 50 I heal via potion to fill my health up to 600.
The Stardust Dragon is extremely helpful in that in addition to attacking the hands and head it will attack the leech, preventing the Moon Bite most of the time.
I use the Daybreak to attack the hands while situated on the middle lane of asphalt as shown in the arena. When the hands reach around 25% or less I switch to my Solar Eruption and attack the head. His deathray is blocked by the top lane of asphalt.
When the head is defeated I quickly defeat the hands with the Daybreak and visit the nurse for healing as necessary. Then I again switch to the Solar Eruption and defeat the core, again, healing as necessary via the nurse.

This approach eliminates the need to run and dodge and fly and ride mounts in wide open spaces or to build an extensive arena. That mattered to me because I had defeated the cultists and towers over and over again and kept getting pwned by the Moon Lord but I didn't have the cosmic car key nor am I all that adept at dodging and whatnot. I prefer to focus on DPS and to tank the bosses. If you time your visits to the nurse well you will defeat him quickly. It only took me a few minutes to beat him. After that I used my fragments to make a bunch of sigils and beat him over and over until I had everything I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom