My honest apologies

Samrux

Santa Claus

I have done a few things that might or not have bothered some people, or that simply are to be ashamed of. Some others might be misunderstood, when there was never a bad intention behind them. I'll cover them here, and why I did them.

But don't worry, I didn't do anything terrible. This thread's purpose is to show that I am aware of my own actions and words, and that I regret some of them. Maybe I'm a little too paranoic, but that's not for me to judge.

Edit: Yeah, this thread is kind of pointless. I just wanted to make sure everything was alright.

I have self-advertised my most recent project through various threads and status posts, including others' profiles, either purposefully or sometimes unaware. While most will agree that a little advertising is not only understandable, but alright to do, I believe I might have gone just a bit too far. I have mentioned this project often in times in which it wasn't necessary, sometimes in a direct attempt to get more people to notice it. It is something I am not very proud of.
And I understand too that by making this thread I am bringing even more attention to it as well - but I promise it is not my intention with this post at all.

This project is my most recent story, and I'd want to at least try and explain, if not partly justify, my reason to try and make it more popular.
I have been a member of this community for quite some time now. I have been an avatarmaker, an artist, and a storywriter. The last thing I did on the forums was hosting two community giveaways for Terraria, which earned me the title I am currently using. After that, I lost interest and left for a while, on January this year.
A month ago, I returned to the forums for the sole reason of starting this new project of mine: I wanted to make a story that correctly portrayed, from beginning to end, the chronicle of Samrux, the dungeon paladin. Samrux is my forum persona and original character, by the way.

I knew that my story wouldn't take lift very fast at all, because I had been inactive for long, and because the community in general doesn't hold as much liking, respect and attention to written works about Terraria than they do for graphical ones. That is understandable, because it's much easier to enjoy and opinate on a drawing than it is for a long wall of text. But I wanted to fight both of these things: By advertising my story, I wanted to make sure that it got the attention I desired, even when literature is not as popular, and even when I hadn't been on the forums for a while. I wanted to make this, my most important project so far, worthy to make and known to everyone, as well as make clear my return. For being selfish, and maybe annoying, I apologize.

But as so rises the second point that might have bothered some of you: Likes.
My story is divided into many, many posts, because I publish one small section of it per day, having each part link to the next for it to be read in sequence. At the time of this post, 26 sections of the story have been published. And they all have a very decent amount of likes.
Some think that I did this on purpose: that I did this because I knew I would get a lot of likes this way. But no, I did never, ever intend for this method of storywriting to become a likefarm. I realized very early that it essentially and technically was: If I publish something every day, and hold the promise that I do, people will keep coming back to read more. And by coming back, they will like those posts.
I didn't want to change my story's entire structure type to avoid this issue: it had way too many advantages, and I liked it a lot, regardless of the amount of likes I might receive from it or not. I never publicly encouraged, nor discouraged, people to like the posts of my story. I left it for them to decide. Everyone either enjoys or doesn't mind likes. But it was never under my intention or direct desire to get tons and tons of likes every day for just a couple paragraphs of text.

But that was not the only issue regarding likes. I'm certain that many of you will recognize this one: My "Thank you" megastatus.
When I made it, I wanted to post something on my profile to express my completely sincere appreciation for everyone's love. I have been receiving countless pieces of art, for free. The community received me, and never let me down. The moderators have done a fantastic work, and I respect their authority and never-ending effort. Loki has been the best community manager I could have met; both with me, personally, as well as with the community in general.
But this demonstration of gratitude ended up divided into 9 different comments, because every status comment can only have 420 characters. And then people started liking them all.

And I know some people, the least understanding, hated that I was receiving so many likes for it. But I tell you: It was completely sincere. I never wanted to get anyone's attention, or get commented about by how nice I was, or even less receive any likes for it. People liked those comments because they appreciated that I was being thankful. But I never intended for that post to try and make me seem like a better person, or for it to give me free likes, milking poor people's hearts, or anything. I have been called a like:red:, and it has hurt. For any trouble that I might have caused, I apologize.

And to conclude that idea: I only view likes as a quantifiable amount of others' liking and respect for anything I do.

Connected to the previous point; I have also been accused of praising others too much. I want as well to confess that any praising and "buttlicking" that I might have done has also been completely honest and humble from my part. I have experienced the feeling of not being appreciated enough before, and as so, I sometimes just need to show others (in this case, people of the forums) how much I respect and admire them and their work. Again, I haven't been trying to appear better or nicer or perfect, or to get anyone's likes, or anyone's favor. For any bad impressions that I might have produced, I apologize.

As a separate note, but related to many things in this thread; I have never wanted to brag or show off about anything. I don't view myself as better than anyone else, and don't like when people are jealous of me. I like to believe that I earned the liking of the community and my popularity by the things I have done, and that anyone can achieve the same status. I am not anyone's enemy either. I just try to do my best, and if I find something wrong, I will try to fix it. I am right now trying to fix something.

This thread is not secretly directed at anyone. It is public.

As so ends this post. But I'll ask for you to not like this comment, for I have not come here, as I haven't any other time, to appear a better person nor to get any more likes. Thank you for reading.

Comments are appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't understand. You're apologising for...being a good person?

This looks like the people calling you a 'like:red:' are too worked up about likes in the first place. It's just a number that weakly represents how strong someone is with the community. I emphasise weakly greatly, because the like system is far from flawless. You can greatly increase the amount of likes without increasing post count by just being someone that posts a million statuses *cough @Razor Knight cough*.

Even so, if people are genuinely liking what you are doing to present their appreciation of the post, isn't that like justified? It doesn't sound anything close to the like-bombing era when people just spammed the 'like' button.

Also, my honest thoughts on this is if people are judging you based on likes, they don't deserve to be in these forums.

I don't understand. You're apologising for...being a good person?

This looks like the people calling you a 'like:red:' are too worked up about likes in the first place. It's just a number that weakly represents how strong someone is with the community. I emphasise weakly greatly, because the like system is far from flawless. You can greatly increase the amount of likes without increasing post count by just being someone that posts a million statuses *cough @Razor Knight cough*.

Even so, if people are genuinely liking what you are doing to present their appreciation of the post, isn't that like justified? It doesn't sound anything close to the like-bombing era when people just spammed the 'like' button.

Also, my honest thoughts on this is if people are judging you based on likes, they don't deserve to be in these forums.
I apologized for any bad images I might have posed, and misunderstandings of my intentions. Because apparently, it has happened.

And the self-advertising. Don't forget my self-advertising.

Well, I don't know what happened, at the time, but I'm fine with it.

Anything done by you is amazing, doesn't matter what you do, it's great. If you wanted to spread the word around, feel free, because I know that the alert I get from a post of yours on my profile, talking about a thread, I immediately like the post (I like people's posts to quickly respond to them, just something I do.)
and read the thread (I do need to read that story though, sounds interesting.) because I know whatever that thread is, it was created by you, and that's bevause anything created by you, is always truly amazing.

Apology Accepted. Even if I have not been particularly bothered by these problems, It's good to see the humble side of people.

Your story may have gone on for long enough, that if you did it in one post, it might have extended to another post because there is a character limit. The character limit is 100,000 and I found it when I was writing my story.

I congratulate you on your humility, your success as a writer, and your dedication to Terraria!

You did the right thing, you should be sorry you fiend! The next thing you should do is try to think ways to atone. I recommend self-flagellation. And salting the wounds, just to be on the safe side.

Or, alternatively, you could buy me a wheelbarrow full of booze. That would work too.

Samrux, shut the :red: up. don't apologise for being a awesome member of this community, and you deserve those likes. If anything I think having those multiple posts allows you to be given your full due. So to those who called you a like:red:, they will never be as awesome as you. Pay no attention to them. They are not worth it.

In regards to your advertising, I noticed nothing more than usual. It coming up in conversation is not advertising.

Samrux, shut the :red: up. don't apologise for being a awesome member of this community, and you deserve those likes. If anything I think having those multiple posts allows you to be given your full due. So to those who called you a like:red:, they will never be as awesome as you. Pay no attention to them. They are not worth it.

In regards to your advertising, I noticed nothing more than usual. It coming up in conversation is not advertising.

I have to totally agree. Getting likes means people like it. Nobody is going to give you likes if 1, they don't like it, and 2, you don't deserve them.
I see no problem with a little advertising here and there as well. I have to admit, I advertise probably a little more than I should, even if I try to do it a subtly as possible, which for me, isn't very subtle.

Thanks everyone.

@FlakMaster said some stuff...
Some unnecessary mentions here and there, even on others' profiles, and many times in private conversations.
When you advertised on Leinfors' profile... believe me, it's tempting. I moderate a clan and have had to do far too many things regarding unnecessary advertisement. One person even said blatantly that his thread was better and you should go on it. ON ANOTHER PERSON's THREAD! Honestly I don't think that what you have done is anything to deserve a warning point. Perhaps you'd like to follow Teal's system where people ask to be tagged when a new story of yours comes out. I personally love to read Terraria fanfiction. Good job on The Story of a Paladin; I enjoyed it a lot, and keep up the good work!

I fail to see the point of this.

You are apologizing for making a daily series that is good enough to get liked? If it is something else please inform me, because I see nothing wrong with this. As for advertising, who hasn't advertised? I post statuses when I make new content, most people do. As long as you are not directly going to threads and linking your work without a reason you are doing nothing wrong.

Last edited:
I fail to see the point of this.

You are apologizing for making a daily series that is good enough to get liked? If it is something else please inform me, because I see nothing wrong with this. As for advertising, who hasn't advertised. I post statuses when I make new content, most people do. As long as you are not directly going to threads and linking your work without a reason you are doing nothing wrong.
Some people were bothered by some of my actions, and I wanted to make a thread clarifying them. I know most people can't relate much with what I'm saying here.

Kind of pointless, yes, I'd say. I still wanted to. I do believe I went a little too far with advertising.

Last edited:
The only thing you did wrong was advertise. This just be my own opinion but I hate people advertising, its annoying. On your own profile its fine but on others as you said, it should never be done.

Don't take this the wrong way but you made me get over my hate of paladins until this was brought to my attention. I'm not saying I hate paladins now, but my view of you is kind of weird now.

You did nothing wrong, bro. "You have too many likes!" Well, he makes likable stuff. That's what the freaking button is for. I don't get what the big deal is about likes, they're just there to show that a person, well, likes something. Complaining about your stories getting too many likes is exactly like complaining that your story is too good.

You did nothing wrong, bro. "You have too many likes!" Well, he makes likable stuff. That's what the freaking button is for. I don't get what the big deal is about likes, they're just there to show that a person, well, likes something. Complaining about your stories getting too many likes is exactly like complaining that your story is too good.
There are, though, unhonourable ways to get a lot of likes.

Farm those likes, you crazy armored maniac in a blue dungeon!

Compel those people to become your like-slaves with your amazing hammers!

Turn on your "holier than thou" attitude by curbstomping those foolish enough to trespass!

In short, anyone got any dissent against you for the likes, let them. If they can get riled up for something as small as that, they're not worth pandering your attention to.

If you have it, you've earned it.... barring like-bombing activities, of course.

Last edited:
I put likes on every page of your story because I genuinely like it. I like the writing style. If I ever don't press the like button, it's because I either haven't read it, or I didn't like it, which I would give feedback about

Back
Top Bottom