NPCs & Enemies My ideas to buff Golem.

Piggaeiou

Golem
When you think about it, Golem is supposed to be a leading boss crucial to game progression, but it's hardly a challenge (At least for casual players like me)! He was buffed in Expert mode but NO. THAT'S NOT OKAY. Normal mode is where I've mostly played Terraria in and Golem is a free boss for his time. I proceeded to fight him 10 times in a row to then die to Plantera. He's not fun to fight as you can just spam Scourge of the Corruptor while dodging his attacks. I've created here A list of ways to maybe buff Golem and make him more of a challenge.

1. Like all bosses, spawn rates decrease for enemies (Except Wyverns) during bossfights. My idea could be to actually increase spawn rates during the fight. Flying Snakes and Lihzahrds would take over some homing projectiles and distract the player. (This might be a little extreme)

2. Buff Golem's Enragement. He will enrage when he is fought out of the jungle but you can evade incoming attacks much easier with improved space. You can buff projectile speed, jump speed, increase gravity, buff damage and defense (You get the idea).

3. More health? Yes. More health and Defense regardless of enragement or not.

4. Servants? Okay why not

5. Buff projectiles. Why not add ricochet's to golem lasers? It could be an interesting mechanic.

6. Implement more attacks. Maybe include attacks referencing the traps found within the Jungle temple! At some points, Golem could cover himself in Wooden Spikes to deal lots of contact damage. He could release Spiky Balls every so often. He could eject Spears and/or flames at the player in his second phase. *This would require a content update, and I'm pretty syer 1.4.1 was the last one.

7. Give his head a flying attack where it charges at the player like Expert Mode Skeletron where it can stun lock the player. (Again, could be a bit Extreme)

8. Add more traps to the Altar Room. The more the player doesn't clean up the traps, the harder it is to defeat Golem (If they somehow struggle with the fight already)

9. Spew temporary lava? At this point, everyone uses wings. Everyone is going to use wings and fly over any ground obstacles. But I don't know this is my last idea so maybe add a lava that appears for the fight only and disappears when Golem despawns or is defeated? Maybe a Lihzahrdian Lava or something. This would also prevent players from fighting out of the temple as lava spews everywhere. (Again, could be a little extreme).

That about sums up my TED Talk. I'm out of ideas and I respect Golem as a boss. He just needs a buff ¯\_:golem:_/¯ Haha this is cringy

:golem:

I doubt any content changes would be made since the release of Journey's End has be active for months now.
I dunno, I just share my thoughts like the forums were made for ~:)~:).

Adiós

bad golem you bad bad golem.pngbad golem you bad bad golem.pngbad golem you bad bad golem.png

Last edited:
Most of them likely wouldn't really work, because either make the fight too hard (the first time you fight him, you have to fight in the temple, so the space is rather limited - so, he shouldn't be like skeletron...) or make no real difference - e.g. if he would enrage outside of the jungle - not too relevant, because most of the time, you fight him in the temple, I think.

Things like spawning lava would be just simply horrible, especially if it gets out of the temple too, and accidentally touches a Plantera's bulb...

More mobs wouldn't make it harder either, if anything they just mean more possible hearts, mana stars, and maybe even lifesteal targets. More traps would just mean more free wire you can get from the room, and more HP and defense to golem would just make the battle take a little more time, just making it more tedious, when you want that sun stone, but he didn't dropped it after the 8th battle in a row either...

And there's pretty much zero reason to have a temple guardian. the temple is locked, to begin with. but even if it wouldn't be, there are barely any useful treasures there for early game. I had a normal mode world where the temple generated without a door, and I looted the place just right after EoC. (on normal) it's a very easy place to loot as long as you have a grappling hook, and something with range, but you would only get like 6~8 gold coins, 2-3 dynamites, and a few solar tablets and fragments (which are useless until hardmode), and lizhard furnace, that could make furnitures, but from something you can't mine pre-golem anyway...
and a few batteries, but you can't fight golem pre-plantera anyway, even if you loot the place.

Golem is a pathetic boss, but he's probably okay the way he is.
The bigger problem is the aftermath, I guess. which practically opens the possibilities of the endgame events. and that's pretty much all of it, no new biomes or such. there are lots of events and stuff, but no more reasons to go on adventuring...
The Jungle temple itself is the only (vanilla) biome locked until late-game, but it's a very disappointing biome... golem fits it quite well as a weak boss.
the problem is rather, I think, that it would be nice, if it would unlock some new biome/structure or I dunno, which you can discover, and have some more adventures, before marching to the dungeon entrance to punch some cultists in the face...

This post wasn't really supposed to be taken very seriously, but for reference (If I want to try making a mod), I can take it into account!

As of right now, players build a layer of platforms on top of the golem chamber and stay up there the whole fight.
What if platforms became unusable during the Golem fight, similar to eternity mode Golem fight from Fargo's Soul Mod

As of right now, players build a layer of platforms on top of the golem chamber and stay up there the whole fight.
What if platforms became unusable during the Golem fight, similar to eternity mode Golem fight from Fargo's Soul Mod
Seems interesting enough but, you could obtain the Soaring Insignia after Plantera, negating the need for platforms entirely. When I fight Golem, I'm using wings to kite around Golem and it works. I think somehow restricting wing access would make the fight significantly harder. But I never prepare arenas for Golem so I personally wouldn't see the platform thing as a concern. As I've said with other ideas, Ricocheting projectiles would keeps the player moving, and traps are typically bound to the ceiling, so I think platform restriction isn't necessary, but it's good to know!

But, duke fishron and EoL are post Golem bosses.
(At least that's what the terraria wiki says!)
That is incorrect. Empress of Light is available after Plantera, since that is when Prismatic Lacewings spawn. Duke Fishron is available at the start of Hardmode, since Truffle Worms can be caught any time in Hardmode. But it is definitely recommended to fight them both after Golem. You might be on the Fandom Terraria Wiki which you shouldn't use. Fandom can be edited by literally anyone to make incorrect changes. The main one, Gamepedia, has a more restricted editing access. But I never said anything about Duke Fishron, and I don't know why you brought it up but theres your answer.

Here is a link to it:

Here is a picture for proof:
Screenshot 2020-12-09 at 9.36.33 PM.png

Screenshot 2020-12-09 at 9.38.49 PM.png

Hope this sums it up for you ~:)

That is incorrect. Empress of Light is available after Plantera, since that is when Prismatic Lacewings spawn. Duke Fishron is available at the start of Hardmode, since Truffle Worms can be caught any time in Hardmode. But it is definitely recommended to fight them both after Golem. You might be on the Fandom Terraria Wiki which you shouldn't use. Fandom can be edited by literally anyone to make incorrect changes. The main one, Gamepedia, has a more restricted editing access. But I never said anything about Duke Fishron, and I don't know why you brought it up but theres your answer.

Here is a link to it:

Here is a picture for proof:
View attachment 301275
View attachment 301276

Hope this sums it up for you ~:)

I do know that Duke fishron can be fought early hardmode and that empress of light summons are available post plantera. I myself have taken them down early hardmode. I was just saying that the wiki recommends you fight these bosses post Golem as they have more health than Golem and are more difficult due to their high damaging attacks.
And dont worry, I am not using the Fandom wiki :)

Most of them likely wouldn't really work, because either make the fight too hard (the first time you fight him, you have to fight in the temple, so the space is rather limited - so, he shouldn't be like skeletron...) or make no real difference - e.g. if he would enrage outside of the jungle - not too relevant, because most of the time, you fight him in the temple, I think.
I went ahead and made some changes because I took into consideration what you said.

About his expert buff: he’s still extremely easy and it changed almost nothing (in fact, even his enraged form is extremely easy), and if what you’re saying is true, then he still needs a buff in all modes on top of that. I totally agree with your suggestion.

Here some of my attack ideas:
1. By phase 3(detached head) the fireballs should be replaced with diabolical inferno(the projectiles that diabolist skeletons shoot). (All difficulties)
2. A lazer beam attack similar to the martian saucer like in Fargo's mod but just without the lazer shotgun at the end. (Master)
3. A flamethrower attack if the lazer attack seems too op. (Expert)
4. The head should have a charge attack. (all difficulties)

An then, here are some of my other buff ideas:
1. Fists should inflict broken armor debuff.
2. Lazers should inflict Ichor debuff.

1. Like all bosses, spawn rates decrease for enemies (Except Wyverns) during bossfights. My idea could be to actually increase spawn rates during the fight. Flying Snakes and Lihzahrds would take over some homing projectiles and distract the player. (This might be a little extreme)
oh god no

Back
Top Bottom