WIP My latest project - Prototype

Laluzi

Skeletron
Edit: Current map view. Will update as city grows.
Ka9YzB6.jpg

So my latest world is starting to take shape, and I thought I'd share. I got all I cared for out of New Vegas, and the result wasn't as cohesive as I would have liked because the landscape between each settlement was so disjoint - it didn't feel like a singular product. The solution - pick a setting where there's no landscape at all! Just one giant city! Enter Videogameception 2, Electric Boogaloo, where I'm trying to recreate the setting of Prototype.

If you don't know what Prototype is, and given that it's over a decade old, you probably don't - New York City, except parts of it are being eaten by the Crimson. Lots of rooftops to run across.

Here's my map so far. (I haven't even gotten to the skyscrapers yet...)

WTuV7fF.jpg

nJIUv6S.jpg

Zooming out, this is the world. As you can see, I'm making decent progress levelling it out/filling it up and covering it with asphalt (spawn height is 338'.) Covering it with buildings... less so.

Here's a closer look.

02A6D2C.jpg

vKalt7F.jpg

GnyESCr.jpg

(Don't mind the little balls of blue flame - they're a nod to landmarks in the game.)

TTu2bsD.jpg

uLv8Gik.jpg

3I8D5hD.jpg

3sCdSY8.jpg

Getting into the infected zone. ...I ran out of inventory space for those flesh lamps. They'll make very fine gory tendrils with some deep red paint, but preferably on a building.

F0gO18r.jpg

The hive! I love this thing.

So, the map. To the right, I want to raise the building height and segue into Times Square. To the left, I'll continue the Infected Zone and then possibly make Central Park (so that a corner of it is crimsoned and the rest is healthy.) Far to the left, I'll add some military bases - far to the right is where I'll put the major hive and the Museum of Natural History. (Technically Central Park should be located on that side, but with the size I want to make it and the size I'll need for Times Square, I'm not sure it would fit.)

Building is slow - I'm constantly having to farm adamantite, titanium, palladium, and stone (so much grey stucco, asdfghjkl.) I am trying to copy the models from the game from screenshots, so lots of alt-tabbing. Progress is about three buildings per day.

But I'll cover the map one day! Just you watch!

Last edited:
Oh, you're still around, Laluzi? This one looks neat. While the modern city is a rather boring scene, making one in Terraria is still an impressive feat. It must have taken you a long time to make it. The hive looks cool, though I am thinking that them not extending underground was rather fortunate since Alex does best when he has room to maneuver.

I can't help but think that if you're having trouble obtaining materials, you could try downloading one of the all items worlds that keep getting advertised on Steam - one of them should have all the materials you need. I mean, you already have post-Moonlord gear so it wouldn't even really be cheating.

Oh, hey, Rook! It has been a while. I've never been partial to the all-items thing, honestly - while spawning in something isn't really as important if you're building, it still feels cheaty to me. Sort of like... if I'm hacking in my materials, it wouldn't really be that many steps further to just create everything via world editor. It's not that hard to set up a hardmode ore world anyway - just DCU straight to hell, kill the WOF, and drive a straight line through '8/all evil areas to get the altars. The biggest bottleneck is the inventory size limit (further aggravated by me keeping the thing half-full at all times anyway) and the constant world-hopping.

Yeah, this is more of an impressive scope project than an impressive design one. Unlike New Vegas, I haven't gotten to build any particularly interesting structures yet, but there definitely are some waiting - plus I can do interiors with teleporters, which are even the right color for the mission checkpoints. (So far I've only done Dana's safehouse, which is just a small room, but I'll eventually recreate other locations as well.) I just can't extend outward to the good parts because I can't be sure the building will actually be in the right place once the urban sprawl makes its way there. That was my mistake with the New Vegas world and I don't want to repeat it.

Getting into the infected zone will be fun, though. My fire blocks have been waiting for this day.

(Actually, with the underground and lack thereof - if I ever get that far, which does not seem likely, I was thinking of doing a subway/sewer system. All infected, of course.)

So my latest world is starting to take shape, and I thought I'd share. I got all I cared for out of New Vegas, and the result wasn't as cohesive as I would have liked because the landscape between each settlement was so disjoint - it didn't feel like a singular product. The solution - pick a setting where there's no landscape at all! Just one giant city! Enter Videogameception 2, Electric Boogaloo, where I'm trying to recreate the setting of Prototype.

If you don't know what Prototype is, and given that it's over a decade old, you probably don't - New York City, except parts of it are being eaten by the Crimson. Lots of rooftops to run across.

Here's my map so far. (I haven't even gotten to the skyscrapers yet...)

WTuV7fF.jpg

nJIUv6S.jpg

Zooming out, this is the world. As you can see, I'm making decent progress levelling it out/filling it up and covering it with asphalt (spawn height is 338'.) Covering it with buildings... less so.

Here's a closer look.

02A6D2C.jpg

vKalt7F.jpg

GnyESCr.jpg

(Don't mind the little balls of blue flame - they're a nod to landmarks in the game.)

TTu2bsD.jpg

uLv8Gik.jpg

3I8D5hD.jpg

3sCdSY8.jpg

Getting into the infected zone. ...I ran out of inventory space for those flesh lamps. They'll make very fine gory tendrils with some deep red paint, but preferably on a building.

F0gO18r.jpg

The hive! I love this thing.

So, the map. To the right, I want to raise the building height and segue into Times Square. To the left, I'll continue the Infected Zone and then possibly make Central Park (so that a corner of it is crimsoned and the rest is healthy.) Far to the left, I'll add some military bases - far to the right is where I'll put the major hive and the Museum of Natural History. (Technically Central Park should be located on that side, but with the size I want to make it and the size I'll need for Times Square, I'm not sure it would fit.)

Building is slow - I'm constantly having to farm adamantite, titanium, palladium, and stone (so much grey stucco, asdfghjkl.) I am trying to copy the models from the game from screenshots, so lots of alt-tabbing. Progress is about three buildings per day.

But I'll cover the map one day! Just you watch!
I love this. So cool to see city buildings in Terraria, and you’ve got such great variety. Really really fun.

Feel free to take this down If I'm not allowed to curse, but I can see some Bo1 rooftops :red: happening
If you know the mission, you know exactly what I am talking about

A bit of an update - built some more stuff in both directions.

Close-up and full view of the world. Terraforming continues. Had to remove a low-sitting sky island and now the Angler is a hobo, just like he deserves. Also dug out some snow and desert to keep the surface biome as a forest, but that's very much not done yet. I need so many dirt stacks I had to create a separate world for it.

9aGZ85C.jpg

78w4dJZ.jpg

So, to the right. The shots I have of Times Square didn't necessarily have the buildings as tall as I remembered, but it does have them absolutely covered in advertising, so some billboards:

pP7vN7k.jpg

o3o5Vg3.jpg

p2BRsyw.jpg

nocearx.jpg

Rooftop pool!

q35G7Jf.jpg

(This one is valid housing, by the way. I feel really clever about that one.)

...I've also decided my favorite building materials are adamantite beams, palladium columns, and titanstone blocks, much to my chagrin and also the uncontrollable strip-mining of various hardmode worlds. That rightmost building used 1080 palladium alone for the windows.

An in-construction bonus. I don't know how he spawned there. Poor guy.

VggGE8F.jpg

To the left, here's some shots on the expanded Red Zone:

UzgBowd.jpg

yNRCDGQ.jpg

ad2KdmK.jpg

One thing I'm debating doing is wiring the street lamps to a day-night timer. In some parts it'd be really natural, but in others, it's too dark in front of buildings to see during daytime without the lamps, and it'd be choppy to wire only half of them.

Last edited:
The urban sprawl continues!

Obligatory small/large maps. I'll stop posting large maps once I finally terraform the whole thing, 999 dirt blocks at a time.

Ka9YzB6.jpg

47UeulO.jpg

Mostly did a lot of Times Square and finished infected zone #1, which neatly fits the naturally generated crimson biome I placed it on. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fit enough crimson blocks in the buildings to make the rooftops of those buildings crimson biomes, but I tried. Moving forward... for the left side, probably just some ordinary shorter buildings for a while. The extreme left end of the map would be Wall Street and I want a few military bases between there and where it's left off (as well as the Gentek building, probably in another infected zone I'll have to make wholesale), but for the most part, there isn't much planned for this area. On the right, I want Times Square to lead into Central Park (which will probably stretch most of the way through the jungle biome), then another crimson/infected area at the end (which covers the other end of the park) that has the Museum of Natural History placed on those two sister Crimson chasms to the far left. Past that, the Bloodtox factory and Harlem.

OtpTeCC.jpg

GbnHu0U.jpg

MYIwu1p.jpg

YyvA45v.jpg

OyAKmia.jpg

cyNsVj9.jpg

VYSmE3w.jpg

(I'm really going to have to put another background building between these next two, the gap is really distracting.)
xvW59Dp.jpg

1wp4klW.jpg

I'm nearing the end of Times Square and will begin on Central Park soon. I'm having trouble conceptualizing how I want to do it - I want to maintain the road, but I also want trees (both sculpted and actual trees), which obviously wouldn't grow on the asphalt.

I'm thinking of beginning and ending the park area with a small 'bridge' that takes the road up and then down, more down than the previous height, and then using grassy walls up to the previous road height plus some brick/iron fencing, some of which would be actual dirt that trees can grow on and some of which would be... not. Could do lakes with water below the road and waterfall blocks above... and then there's a few statues and structures within the park to build. But mostly I'm not certain how I want to tackle a forested area when the ground I'm using is asphalt. Thank Terrarian god for blueberry bushes and other placable foliage. Ideas would be quite welcome.

Also, if anyone knows a good Marine uniform I can put on a mannequin (i.e. tan camo, balaclava), I'd be delighted; the one I'm using is just pearlwood/palmwood/tin and it's not very good. I did make a police uniform and a Blackwatch uniform that I'm quite satisfied with in comparison (SWAT helmet/ancient cobalt breastplate/ancient cobalt leggings and night vision helmet/martian officer uniform/martian officer pants respectively. Both very annoying to farm in bulk.)

Incidentally, I wish I'd discovered Bubblegum Blocks sooner. Perfect for all of my horrible crimson gunk growing on bricks needs.

My gawd, this is huge! Well done, I say. Well done.
I hope you can keep the motivation and creativity to fill the whole map. It'll be an awesome sight. :)

Edit: Seeing why you need a lot of ore, it might be worthwhile to create a small world, defeat all the bosses there and spawn ore by smashing lots of altars. (Of course you'll have to get lucky with getting the ore types that you want.)
Then use the
Drill_Mount.png
to tear the world apart.

I like doing that sometimes. It's partly why I have such a ludicrous amount of ore and gems.

Last edited:
@Gotcha! Thank you! Means a lot coming from you. I'll probably lose steam well before I'm done, but this will be an easy project to come back to. Just one building at a time, whenever I'm in the mood to make something. Once the whole thing's full, I'll go back and make even more buildings in the background. And also a metro, escalators and stations included. But that's a long way off. Right now, I need to go back to Prototype and get more screenshots - I've built almost every building I took a screencap of. I'll have to start doing duplicates eventually, but not... yet...

I have been doing that for ores - I have a few applicable worlds running, and I toss and make another every time one starts to go dry. I like doing large corruption worlds for maximum output (considering I'll hard restart worlds until I get the ore configuration I want.) It definitely is the easiest way to get bulk diamonds as well - finding a high-tier gem cave is a slightly less literal goldmine. Since some of my buildings have taken more than 2 stacks of adamantite, palladium, or titanium on their own, brute forcing them has been a necessity. (I was actually thinking of opening up a trading post, selling rare items, and asking for payment in dirt or stone or sand... heh.) But thanks for the advice!

DCUing is pretty quick once you've got the worlds set up - what's taking me much longer is getting the ancient cobalt sets and martian officer pieces. Former pretty much has to be done in boring pre-hardmode and the latter just requires me to run back and forth over a map ad infinitum.

(The Betsy mask you gave me is worn proudly by one of my many monster-faced mannequins.)

Last edited:
Coming from me? Thanks. I'm only human though. :happy:

I'm not sure what you still need, but I went through all my maps, and can give two complete Martian uniforms, two Martian costumes, one Ancient cobalt set, 2 more SWAT helmets, 5 Night Vision helmets, one Wall of Flesh mask, and two Moon Lord masks.

I'm planning to completely sell everything on these maps, because I think that one map you saw is plenty crazy enough for storing things, so anything that doesn't fit in from these other maps will be thrown away/sold, to keep myself from going insane.

Still, you know a thing or two about massive world-spanning projects. :p

Actually, in my farming, my set pieces have gotten hugely out of sync with each other - currently I've got 9 ancient cobalt leggings in storage and 0 breastplates, and a similar number with the martian uniform pieces (lots of shirts this time, no legs.) I'll still happily eat all of the boss masks you'll throw to me, but for those sets, I might just go for the pieces I'm missing to try and even out my numbers.

It is a pity vanity items don't stack, isn't it? I really wouldn't complain if you wanted to share. I've got to head out in a few minutes, but I should be back before the end of your day.

Well, the less item that stack, the better. Or I'll go all OCD and have to have stacks full of everything. :D
Feel free to give a nudge whenever.

Back
Top Bottom