My little Pony: Friendship is Magic

So, considering Scorch posted here, I thought I might as well do so too.

I'd say I'm mostly in the same category as him, except I'm actually slowly watching through the show. Most of my interest after just peer pressure from Flask actually grew from watching a few videos on the Hearts of Iron 4 mod Equestria at War, so I mostly know stuff about that, and not much else so far. I do plan on continuing to watch the series though, it's just I've been a bit busy, and therefore not had the time to invest into that so far.

Definitely give it at least six episodes.

Expect nothing.

Receive everything.

I came in with no expectations short of having seen a few rogue webm clips, and watched a stray episode from Season 2 as my first episode, and then binge-watched every single episode there was in a day and a half, back in early 2011. No regrets.
Well, sounds a bit similar to my experiences so far.
I decided to watch episode 1 of the first season about a month or so ago, just to see what's it like, and honestly, I was surprised by how different it was from a lot of other comparable shows I can think of. There's still elements that make it obvious that it's a show targetted towards a younger audience, but I still found it enjoyable enough to continue watching further.

I haven't quite gone so far as to binge watch the entire series yet though, as the length of it is a bit intimidating, especially considering everything else I'm currently busy with right now.

I admire and appreciate your tenacity, and I wish you a wonderful time with it!
685269161802203157.webp

I'd say I'm mostly in the same category as him, except I'm actually slowly watching through the show. Most of my interest after just peer pressure from Flask actually grew from watching a few videos on the Hearts of Iron 4 mod Equestria at War, so I mostly know stuff about that, and not much else so far. I do plan on continuing to watch the series though, it's just I've been a bit busy, and therefore not had the time to invest into that so far.

I decided to watch episode 1 of the first season about a month or so ago, just to see what's it like, and honestly, I was surprised by how different it was from a lot of other comparable shows I can think of. There's still elements that make it obvious that it's a show targetted towards a younger audience, but I still found it enjoyable enough to continue watching further.

I haven't quite gone so far as to binge watch the entire series yet though, as the length of it is a bit intimidating, especially considering everything else I'm currently busy with right now.
Welcome to the Herd.gif

Well, update on this post.
In the amount of time since I posted this, I am not sure if I have actually seen a single episode.
Instead, I have been far too busy playing Equestria at War to see the actual show it's based on.
I do plan on changing this soon, especially considering there will be some changes to my schedule coming soon, but this is how it stands for now.

However, this does lead me to ask a question to everyone here, and that question is how many of the people here have any interest in Equestria at War?

It's a mod for Hearts of Iron 4, and has a surprisingly detailed amount of lore for the nations in it. I have heard of multiple people playing the mod who aren't even into MLP, but just play it for what's in the mod.
It does have a wiki, but it is using Fandom, so...

I'll probably add more detail to what it is later, but it is quite late for me right now and so I'll probably be going offline soon.

At first I thought "Well it's only been almost twelve years since MLP:FiM started," and then the full weight of that statement bore down on me like a bowling ball, and I realized that we're all aging. Fun. It's been almost twelve years. Holy cow.

We all still miss Twilight Sparkle and the gang. But G5 is pretty good too. I look forward to the new Netflix series starting, if it hasn't already.

Yeah. Even when getting into a fandom two and half years ago, the statement still bores down even on me. Is that all the outside events doing it for me, that I'm aging like... 4,8 times faster? Five times faster? I don't know, but what was supposed to be simple stress relief turned out to be my help in coping with pandemic and then a war in Ukraine, our neighbour...

Wherever are you, Twilight, know you saved me, even if it might not be forever.

If you've ever gone into a Brony convention, and attended some of the more social panels, you'll hear tales from mothers of their children about how the show basically saved their lives, gave them hope for a positive social future, and gave them the social skills to survive in an ever-changing world. It's nothing short of heart-warming. It's such an honor to be a part of such a movement.

It's a mod for Hearts of Iron 4, and has a surprisingly detailed amount of lore for the nations in it. I have heard of multiple people playing the mod who aren't even into MLP, but just play it for what's in the mod.
It does have a wiki, but it is using Fandom, so...

I'll probably add more detail to what it is later, but it is quite late for me right now and so I'll probably be going offline soon.
Well, finally adding an update onto this, it has moved the wiki from Fandom to Miraheze (link here), and as for details, well, in terms of gameplay, it's more or less HOI4, with some key differences. For one, the entire map has been changed, which I'll elaborate more on when I get into the lore. Next is the addition of societal development, which add modifers based on poverty, illiteracy, industry, and science. Generally the game starts with these quite low, with different nations being at different levels of development, but by the end of the game most countries that still exist are more or less fully developed in terms of these modifiers. Development from what I know is amost always changed by national focuses. Next is that cavalry units no longer exist, because, well, if all of your infantry are ponies or other mostly quadrupedal species, then it would be kind of awkward to have cavalry. I mean, I doubt putting a pony on top of another pony would be an effective tactic. However, there are instead magical troops, and race specific special forces and support companies. Magical troops use magical weapons, and are generally more effective than their non-magical counterparts, but magical equipment is far less reliable. Also included is race specific research, allowing for bonuses themed around the lore of the race you're playing as. Another change from standard HOI4 is that a number of options under the diplomacy tab are disabled by default, therefore factions can only be created or joined through national focuses, and from what I know the same applies to ideologies.

In terms of lore however, that's where things get interesting. From what I can tell things start off around where FiM ends, though as I haven't actually finished the show yet, I'm not entirely sure on some details. The western continent has Equestria, the Crystal Empire, the Changeling Lands, the Kingdom of Olenia, Stalliongrad, and a few others. The southern continent of Zebrica, which was added in the most recent update, still has quite a few nations without unique national focus trees, and I generally don't have much experience with it yet, but that area has the zebras, hippogriffs, kirin, and a few others. The one I know the most about from that continent is Chiropterra, which seems to be a nation that is entirely focused on bringing about the rise of Nightmare Moon. However, the the east is the continent that I believe is called Griffonia from what I remember, and is mainly comprised of griffons, except for the eastern ponies, and some other small territories on the edges of the continent. At the center of the continent, and responsible for most of its politics and history, is the Griffonian Empire. From what I know a fair number of the changes from canon are actually centered around the griffons. The empire has several smaller states under its control that were originally just part of the empire, but slowly grew independant as the empire fell apart, and all of them generally seem focused on taking the empire's place. Things can range from Duchess Gabriela holding power in the empire while Grover VI is too young to rule, to the Yale Rectorate resurrecting Grover II, or summoning the Herald of Boreas, and taking control of the empire, or republicans from the north declaring war on the empire to finish a revolution they started around 30 years earlier. There is quite a bit more than this, but I still don't quite know enough to fully explain everything, so I'll leave it here.

Back
Top Bottom