PC My map is completely unexplored

smilemaster8

Terrarian
Hello! A few days ago I decided I wanted to explore some different worlds and used my character on those worlds. I went back to my normal world and now everything is suddenly unexplored? Normally this isn't supposed to happen and I can't think of anything else that caused the issue however this problem is really game breaking to me. I don't want to spend dozens of hours simply re-exploring my map. Unfortunately I have never made a backup because I simply store it on the steam cloud. Does anyone have a solution?

I ran into the same issue a few weeks ago, but after some searching, I managed to figure it out.

Remove your character from the cloud and enter the world. Go into your files with players and the like (mine were in documents>my games>terraria>players) and find a folder within the players folder that has the same name as your character. Open it and see the name of the map file within. If you don’t know which one it is due to going into multiple worlds, make a new character NOT on the cloud and enter your world and check the map file of that new character.

After that, log into the link below (steam cloud) and find the map file with the same name as the one in the folder. Download it and replace the one in your folder with this new one. Hopefully, it should work!

EDIT: Previous link might not have been working, hope this one does.

Last edited:
I ran into the same issue a few weeks ago, but after some searching, I managed to figure it out.

Remove your character from the cloud and enter the world. Go into your files with players and the like (mine were in documents>my games>terraria>players) and find a folder within the players folder that has the same name as your character. Open it and see the name of the map file within. If you don’t know which one it is due to going into multiple worlds, make a new character NOT on the cloud and enter your world and check the map file of that new character.

After that, log into the link below (steam cloud) and find the map file with the same name as the one in the folder. Download it and replace the one in your folder with this new one. Hopefully, it should work!

Do I choose the .wld or .wld.bak? Also in the folder it doesn't show the map file ;-;

Edit: nvm I found it, do I put the MAP file in the Worlds folder or?

Do I choose the .wld or .wld.bak? Also in the folder it doesn't show the map file ;-;

Edit: nvm I found it, do I put the MAP file in the Worlds folder or?

you put the MAP file in the players folder, where there should be both a folder and files for your character with the issue. put the map file into the folder with your player’s name (example where ‘person’ would be a placeholder name for whatever the name of your character is: there are ‘person.plr’ and ‘person.plr.bak’ files, and a folder called ‘person’. put the map file in the folder called ‘person’.)

I did it all but it still dosen't work it just restarted my map again do i remove the players_Person_ on the download

Future guy here, this helped tremendously. I actually found a folder in the same directory labelled 'Backup' that had my world as well.
May your world be filled with riches. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom