Items My Personal List of Item Suggestions

To start, I want to make clear that some of the things on this list may have already been suggested, and I don't intend to plagiarize anything, as the ideas listed are general or descriptions of such. The list will start fairly basic, and if anyone asks, I will go into further detail of what I mean.

Second, I don't know if this follows the suggestion thread rules or not. If it gets locked, that's to be expected.

Finally, this is what I would like to see in future updates or believe the game could benefit from. There is no reason to get harsh about an opinion I have. If you have a disagreeing opinion, we can discuss it, and I can change my mind if it makes sense to me.

On to the general list!

[
IMPORTANT NOTE] I do come back to this first post to add more ideas, so don't forget to look back at it.

Here are a few things I'd like to see added to the game, whether in future updates or just as hovering ideas.

1. Higher DPS Spear Weapons
Spear weapons are a more obsolete form of melee weapon not often used for long, especially around endgame. The main difference between a spear weapon and a javelin weapon (in my opinion) is a spear stays in the character's hand, whilst a javelin weapon is thrown. According to this, the Scourge of the Corruptor and Daybreak (as awesome as they are) are not spear weapons. Of course, even if they were included, Daybreak's DPS still falls short of the most powerful endgame weapons. The North Pole doesn't even get close. Spears are valuable weapons with a cool aesthetic that deserve a spot in the highest tier.​

2. Health/Mana Cap. Increase
Even though this is already likely to happen the next time endgame is pushed further away, it is still a useful resource to have. As a safeguard to the difficulty curve of the game, these items should almost certainly be hard to find/craft and are only available after the defeat of Moon Lord.

3. Water Bolt Upgrade
It doesn't need to be a direct upgrade of the water bolt per se, but the water bolt is one of the best pre-hardmode magic weapons in the game (Yrimir especially makes that clear). I do understand there are some similar weapons that do virtually the same thing, like the Pulse Bow or the Shadowbeam Staff, but they aren't quite the same. The speed and nature of the projectiles need to be considerably slow and not beam-like. Even just a sensible damage increase would prolong the use of such weapons.

4. Psycho Knife % Damage Accessory
Have you ever tried holding the psycho knife in your hotbar and then looked at the stats of any other melee weapon? On Meowmere alone, the base damage goes up to over 800! If that kind of damage boost was imbued into an accessory, the DPS of literally any weapon would skyrocket and then some. Of course, an accessory of this caliber would need some serious drawbacks to make it balanced. I have no idea what the nerfs would be, and it won't likely even happen in the game, but it's nice to throw out some ideas.

5. Lunatic Cultist Magic Weapons [ADD: Mar. 30, 2019]
The attacks the Lunatic Cultist throws at you when fighting it are crazy, both in capabilities and appearance. Wouldn't it be nice to have a magic attack like that? Even if it's been softened and shrunken down to be better suited for the event to come, some of those attacks would come in handy, like its ice attack. I do understand that some of those already exist in the game, and aren't even from the boss. The Nebula Blaze, Magnet Sphere, and Stardust Dragon are already available and are similar to what the Lunatic Cultist uses.

6. Some More Unique Weapons [ADD: Apr. 2, 2019]
Unique weapons would probably include items such as Arkhalis and Sky Dragon's Fury, where the methods of attack are unusual, but nonetheless effective. More often than not, these weapons are useful far after their damage suggests. Plus, they would usually be more fun to watch and use than most other weapons.

7. Hero Sword [ADD: Apr. 5, 2019]
Ever wonder where the broken hero sword got its power? And even more so, why do the monsters from the solar eclipse have fragments of it? Wouldn't it be cool to have the actual sword, whether by repair or by some other means? I wonder what possible projectiles it would have...​

Last edited:
Increasing spear dps will not solve their problems. They need more ranged ability.

Although, it might interest you to know that the North Pole was briefly the strongest item in Terraria due to its original design of spawning an infinite amount of projectiles during its travel time. It remains to this day an extremely strong ranged option, as does the Daybreak. I think you are underestimating those weapons severely as they are the exception to spears being weak.

And I'm all for nerfing Water Bolt, not giving it even more longevity. The thing is ridiculous even in hardmode.

1. The basic spear’s attack pattern is precisely what makes its performance poor in hardmode. As enemies start to use projectiles more, you’ll be punished if you don’t do the same. No amount of DPS will change that; look to the Butcher’s Chainsaw as an example.

2. Locking a heath/mana upgrade behind the Moon Lord makes little sense. If you don’t need that extra health to fight the definitive final boss (the most difficult PvE challenge in the game) then what could you possibly need it for? I agree that it will probably happen if endgame is pushed further back, but I doubt that is going to happen at all. I just can’t see the Last Prism as anything other than the overpowered emperor of all overpowered endgame weapons.

3. Nebula Arcanum is a Water Bolt upgrade.

4. I cannot think of anything that would balance a ~400% damage boost without ruining it. I know of two weapons that were intended to deal a huge amount of damage in a single hit, and they are the Psycho Knife and Brand of the Inferno. Both of them suck. Like, a lot. Trying to provide extreme benefits together with extreme drawbacks goes against the definition of the word “balance”.

Increasing spear dps will not solve their problems. They need more ranged ability.

Although, it might interest you to know that the North Pole was briefly the strongest item in Terraria due to its original design of spawning an infinite amount of projectiles during its travel time. It remains to this day an extremely strong ranged option, as does the Daybreak. I think you are underestimating those weapons severely as they are the exception to spears being weak.

I know that. Virtually all melee weapons have projectiles at endgame. I'm not inferring spears are left out of having projectiles as well.
I'm also not technically calling spears weak here. I'm saying they have fallen behind other weapons, even with the addition of Daybreak. There isn't a post-Moon Lord spear weapon that rivals Starfury, Meowmere, or the like. Plus, I am aware of the North Pole's previous abilities, but that was before Moon Lord was even a thing. Anything after Moon Lord will easily regard it as difficult to maintain use.

3. Nebula Arcanum is a Water Bolt upgrade.

The Nebula Arcanum's projectile doesn't function the way Water Bolt does. Sure it bounces, but it also homes in as well as exploding in a much shorter lifetime.

I'd argue the magical harp is as well

That is true, and the adjustable speed is handy for what you are using the projectiles for. I guess that makes sense. That doesn't make me want another upgrade any less, though. XD

@Shockblast DX The problem is not spear ability in the endgame, or at least that's a problem for another day. The problem is spears are absolutely terrible from mid pre-hardmode to mid-hardmode.

That's because virtually none of them have any projectiles until chlorophyte weapons, and even then they aren't the most useful projectiles. During that time, all sorts of swords and such have incredible ranged capabilities. It's not the spears themselves, it's what they're up against at the time. Just compare pre-Plantera sword weapons to Gungnir, two different weapons available at around the same time.

Last edited:
That's because virtually none of them have any projectiles until chlorophyte weapons, and even then they aren't the most useful projectiles. During that time, all sorts of swords and such have incredible ranged capabilities. It's not the spears themselves, it's what they're up against at the time. Just compare pre-Plantera sword weapons to Gungnir, two different weapons available at around the same time.
The gungir is actually pretty powerful, just don't use it on single targets.

For what it's worth, I also don't see many people using spears in the endgame, and I think it's for a good reason. There aren't many projectile spears and they mostly kinda suck. Gungnir is just boring and its range is pretty shameful compared to other things available post-mech.

I also attribute a lot of the problem to the general lack of endgame spears. Would it really have killed them to make the Influx Waver a spear? It would have made sense with its projectile, and maybe we wouldn't see as many "reee why is the influx waver better than the terra blade" :red:posts despite the fact that nothing changes performance-wise.

The Nebula Arcanum's projectile doesn't function the way Water Bolt does. Sure it bounces, but it also homes in as well as exploding in a much shorter lifetime.
I don't think it has a shorter lifetime. It seems like the Arcanum has a shorter lifetime because both the Water Bolt and Arcanum expire after a certain number of hits, and because the Arcanum is homing, it can deliver its hits more accurately in a shorter amount of time, whereas the Water Bolt would waste them bouncing all over the place. Homing makes it a straight upgrade.

The Magical Harp would be a Water Bolt upgrade if it also had good knockback. Unfortunately, not only does it not have the Water Bolt's good knockback, it has no knockback at all.

Last edited:
The NP and Daybreak are good. The craftable and purchaseable spears just need buffs.

Water bolt doesnt need a successor. It needs to get nerfed. Incredibly powerful relative to ease of acquiring it. Makes magic a bit OP pre hardmode.

I also attribute a lot of the problem to the general lack of endgame spears. Would it really have killed them to make the Influx Waver a spear? It would have made sense with its projectile, and maybe we wouldn't see as many "reee why is the influx waver better than the terra blade" :red:posts despite the fact that nothing changes performance-wise.

I don't think it has a shorter lifetime. It seems like the Arcanum has a shorter lifetime because both the Water Bolt and Arcanum expire after a certain number of hits, and because the Arcanum is homing, it can deliver its hits more accurately in a shorter amount of time, whereas the Water Bolt would waste them bouncing all over the place. Homing makes it a straight upgrade.

The Magical Harp would be a Water Bolt upgrade if it also had good knockback. Unfortunately, not only does it not have the Water Bolt's good knockback, it has no knockback at all.

Okay, after going through the game again, I've gathered some new data.

First of all, I would love an Influx Waver spear. :D That would be about the coolest thing ever.

Secondly, the Arcanum does have a shorter lifetime. By a TON. Water Bolt dies around the fourth time it hits something. It virtually lives forever until that last hit.

Finally, I don't know why I disregarded knockback. The Magical Harp actually doesn't quite upgrade the Water Bolt. The closest thing I've found to an upgraded Water Bolt is actually the Razorblade Typhoon. It can bounce quite a bit, it homes in, it has a good amount of knockback, and does incredible damage, but there are still a few missing pieces to make it an accurate upgrade.

Last edited:
2. Health/Mana Cap. Increase
Even though this is already likely to happen the next time endgame is pushed further away, it is still a useful resource to have. As a safeguard to the difficulty curve of the game, these items should almost certainly be hard to find/craft and are only available after the defeat of Moon Lord.
Somebody made a post for a mana cap boost (wish I could find it, it is really good) But I agree! (if somebody finds that post DM me)

Back
Top Bottom