My strange theory about Terraria

What do you think?

• Total voters
My theory on Terraria.
It's all a bizarre mind-scape. Let me elaborate. You, the player are dreaming, you have fallen asleep at some point, and terraria is just a strange dream. But the dream is not constructed by your own mind. It is constructed by the corruption, which is an evil force that wants to eventually corrupt and kill you. But it has to do it in a way that won't wake you up, slowly. When you spawn, the "dream" starts, and the Corruption "builds" the world in your field of vision, anything outside your field of vision doesn't exist. The main reason for this is that the corruption is not powerful enough to build the entire dream-scape at once. Now, you may have noticed a bit of a flaw here, most of the world is purity. The reason for this is that the corruption is cunning, it creates a world in which the player is comfortable, but there is still evil. The player is aware of the evil, but is not too worried about it because of how slowly it spreads, so you don't try to eliminate the corruption based on how long it would take. The corruption created the different monsters in the world to keep you distracted while it spreads, but it doesn't make any of them too powerful so as not to wake you up, it wants you to feel like the most powerful being.
The wall of flesh is the only thing holding the Corruption back from spreading at full speed. But the player sees the wall as a threat, so you take it down. Once the wall is out of the way, the corruption notifies you subliminally that the "spirits of light and dark have been released." This is just another trick. There is no light spirit, the light spirit is just the corruption in disguise. You quickly realize that the hallow is just as evil as the corruption, but it seems better somehow, so you don't do much about it. The wall also gives you a hammer capable of breaking demon alters. You see that as a good thing, as it gives you magical ores and seemingly destroys bits of the corruption. But it really just give the corruption more power every time you break one, spreading small patches of corruption throughout your mind. At this point, you are too powerful for the regular creatures to be much of a distraction, so the corruption unleashes the harder creatures and bosses to keep you busy. Once Plantera is defeated, the Corruption loses some of its power, and begins to spread more slowly. To keep you away from the corruption, it unleashes the hardest monsters yet in the dungeon, with the promise of powerful weapons if if you survive. Once the player gathers these weapons, they feel strong enough to take on some of the harder bosses like Golem and Fishron. While you are off fighting, the corruption continues to spread. The corruption's final attempt to to keep you distracted is the moon events. The corruption knows that you will fight them over and over again, just trying to obtain the weapons and trophies from the bosses. And while you are doing that, your mind slowly becomes corrupted. Once the moons are beaten, it is too late. The corruption has spread so much that it is now almost impossible to keep it at bay, it is only a matter of time before your mind is corrupted.

Sleep well! :)

Disclaimer: I know that this is not true, it's just a strange idea I had, not really a theory.

Last edited:
This goes in literature, not suggestions. But good theory. Though I'd have to say that this is probably not true, seeing as Otherworld is coming out.

Everything was a lie? Strange but a definite possibility.

My favorite part about a persons theories on Terraria is their WoF segment. Creating a story for this boss is so hard since not only is its appearance unexplainable, its connection to the Guide and the spirits of light and dark are too! To make lore about the WoF you have to literally make a story of your own since very little relates to it in the actual game.

Anyways, I'm going to say what I say about every other theory on Terraria
"Definite possibility :naughty:"

I don't see the hallow as evil, i think it sees you as evil. Beings of light see you as something much darker than themselves by comparison and seek to remove you from the land. You did after all remove the thing keeping the spirits of dark at bay after a human sacrifice.

I don't see the hallow as evil, i think it sees you as evil. Beings of light see you as something much darker than themselves by comparison and seek to remove you from the land. You did after all remove the thing keeping the spirits of dark at bay after a human sacrifice.
Yet you appear in the land with no crimes and fight against beings of darkness way before the Hallow exists.

The darkness only began spreading by your actions. The dryads sell items that cure the corruption. Their lifespan seems to be greatly extended and yet they appear human, perhaps the spirits of light influence them? Just a random series of thoughts.

The darkness only began spreading by your actions. The dryads sell items that cure the corruption. Their lifespan seems to be greatly extended and yet they appear human, perhaps the spirits of light influence them? Just a random series of thoughts.
This isn't really the optimal thread to put your ideas as it is Molos's thread, but I can see what you're coming from.

Back
Top Bottom