Weapons & Equip My suggestion for rebalncing prehardmode armors

qwerty3.14

Terrarian
Discussing the effects of armors in other threads got me thinking about how I would balance things. These are my suggestions for the pre hardmode armors.

Meteor armor:
-Reduce the defense on each piece by 1 (set will go from 16->13 defense)
-reduce magic damage on each piece from 7% to 4% (set will got from 21%->12%)
Reasoning: the defense should be reduced due to how easy it is to get the armor early on. The damage nerf is so jungle armor is a more viable contender as the mana increase isn't that useful when you have mana regen potions.

Crimson armor:
-Change the regen bonus from a 50% boost to natural regen and halved regen time to a flat 1.0hp/s boost
-This amount of regen is equal to 2 bands of regen or half a regen potion
Reasoning: not sure if this will overall be a buff or nerf I just like knowing exactly what I'm getting out of my stuff and the old version provided inconsistent bonuses.

Shadow armor:
-change setbonus to granting a dash in similar strength to shield of cthulu
reason: movement speed is kinda useless once you get hermes boots, movements speed does allow you to reach top speed a bit faster but that too becomes useless when you can dash with SoC to reach it instantly. This new setbonus will allow players to drop the shield to gain an extra acccesory slot for a while which can allow it to be competitive late prehardmode vs molten.

necro armor:
-add 1 defense to each piece
reason: This armor requires defeating skeletron which is supposed to be a harder boss than EoF/BoC so I feel it should at least have the same defense as Crimson/shadow

pumpkin armor:
-increase damage bonus from 10%->15%
reason: This will allow the armor to reach comparable offensive stats to the class focused armors, but for all classes in exchange for having lower defense than the other armors. It could also be useful for rangers before skeletron while not outclassing necro armor.

Meteor armor:
-Reduce the defense on each piece by 1 (set will go from 16->13 defense)
-reduce magic damage on each piece from 7% to 4% (set will got from 21%->12%)
Reasoning: the defense should be reduced due to how easy it is to get the armor early on. The damage nerf is so jungle armor is a more viable contender as the mana increase isn't that useful when you have mana regen potions.
I do feel that meteroite armour is a little overpowered, and I agree with the defence nerf, the magic damage nerf may be a little extreme, but now looking at it it seems fair.
Crimson armor:
-Change the regen bonus from a 50% boost to natural regen and halved regen time to a flat 1.0hp/s boost
-This amount of regen is equal to 2 bands of regen or half a regen potion
Reasoning: not sure if this will overall be a buff or nerf I just like knowing exactly what I'm getting out of my stuff and the old version provided inconsistent bonuses.
I suppose the regeneration could be nerfed a little, nothing else to say.
Shadow armor:
-change setbonus to granting a dash in similar strength to shield of cthulu
reason: movement speed is kinda useless once you get hermes boots, movements speed does allow you to reach top speed a bit faster but that too becomes useless when you can dash with SoC to reach it instantly. This new setbonus will allow players to drop the shield to gain an extra acccesory slot for a while which can allow it to be competitive late prehardmode vs molten.
While I like more dashing abilities, this would make the SoC unnecessary for a while, perhaps the dash should be less powerful.
necro armor:
-add 1 defense to each piece
reason: This armor requires defeating skeletron which is supposed to be a harder boss than EoF/BoC so I feel it should at least have the same defense as Crimson/shadow
Agreed, I always felt the defence for Necro armour was too low for how far into the game you obtain it.
pumpkin armor:
-increase damage bonus from 10%->15%
reason: This will allow the armor to reach comparable offensive stats to the class focused armors, but for all classes in exchange for having lower defense than the other armors. It could also be useful for rangers before skeletron while not outclassing necro armor.
Don't forget during Halloween pumpkins grow naturally, so having a +15% damage set right at the start of the game is way too overpowered and this set does not need any buffs.

Id say the entire reason why the meteor armour is overpowered is the 0 mana space gun that can take you to the wall of flesh in prehardmode normal and could in expert if you are good enough

Id say the entire reason why the meteor armour is overpowered is the 0 mana space gun that can take you to the wall of flesh in prehardmode normal and could in expert if you are good enough
I'd say the magic damage is more problematic. The set bonus is decent, but having that in addition to providing better magic bonuses than jungle just made it OP.
Don't get me wrong the setbonus on meteor armor is still good, the rebalancing was done so that meteor armor would only be good for the space gun and not the dominant armor for everything magic.

The setbonus on meteor drops in usefulness when you are able to mass produce mana regen potions since they pretty much solve all you mana issues.

The setbonus alone is enough to make me never consider jungle armour because i perfer infinite lasers without the need to use a accessory,but i see why meteor armour is balanced,Can someone do the math to see what the space gun's damage with this set bonus will be with this proposed change?

Back
Top Bottom