Weapons & Equip My Suggestions for most pre-hardmode armor set balancing

SkillfulHacks

Terrarian
Hello welcome to my suggestions for pre-harmode armor balancing just a few notes before we get started:

This are all based on my personal opinion.

Any armors not listed may because A. I think there balanced or B. I have not played with them much so I don't have an opinion.

I wont be covering any mixed armor e.g The Wizard Set.

Wood Armors:

Generally I like the idea of each wood set reducing spawn rates and/or increasing speed in there respective biomes. Cactus could also i have some kind of thorn effect, but that might end up being to strong.

Pumpkin Armor:

Its kinda over powered because of how early it can be obtained and long it can serve you. I suggest reducing the armor of each piece by 1 from: 2 3 2 to 1 2 1.

Ore Armors:

Currently Ore Armors need a large buff. They are outclass by many armors well mostly meteorite but still. I have a few options in mind:
1. Reduce the cost to craft them. It could be rather massive without making them to powerful.
2. This is probably my favorite option. Make the lower end ore armors(copper, iron, silver, gold) have a per piece damage boost of 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively, and maybe and a bit of damage to the set bonus. Then buff the armor of the higher end ores by some percent 20, 25?
3. Buff the armor of all of them.

Rain, Eskimo, Gladiator, and Obsidian Armor:

Most of these armor sets are kinda bad do to the lack of set bonuses.

Eskimo could provide a immunity to the Chilled Debuff. Still quite bad because of how rare this set is, but its not suppose to be very good any ways.

Obsidian could grant some damage reduction from lava.

As for Rain and Gladiator I really don't know what they could have.

Meteor Armor:

Oh boy the most broken armor pre-hardmode there are a lot of ways to nerf it, but the way I prefer is to reduce its armor. The set bonus is insane and could probably be reduced to, it would still be a very powerful set.

Shadow Armor:

Could stand a small buff. As of now this armor is far worst then crimson and becomes out classed by molten very fast for melee players. I don't have to much experience with shadow, but at the least it could stand a 2% crit chance per piece.

Crimson Armor:

Rivals Meteor armor in brokenly strong armor pre-hardmode. I suggest removing the 2% damage per piece. This would make it less useful in to hardmode.

Necro Armor:

This is the last armor set on this list and it needs a bit of a buff to put it above crimson for rangers. Move the damage from 5% a piece to 7% is my suggestion for this set.

Thats all. I would love to here your thoughts on it.

Cactus could also i have some kind of thorn effect, but that might end up being to strong.

Don't worry, there is no context where "thorn effect" can be described as "too strong". Not that these sets are supposed to be good, they are just basic stuff that you get at the very beginning of the game.

Currently Ore Armors need a large buff. They are outclass by many armors well mostly meteorite but still. I have a few options in mind:
1. Reduce the cost to craft them. It could be rather massive without making them to powerful.
2. This is probably my favorite option. Make the lower end ore armors(copper, iron, silver, gold) have a per piece damage boost of 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively, and maybe and a bit of damage to the set bonus. Then buff the armor of the higher end ores by some percent 20, 25?
3. Buff the armor of all of them.

Besides the first one which I greatly agree with, none of this is necessary. They are strong enough defense wise and Gold/Platinum can already allow you to tank extremely well at this stage in the game (what exactly outclasses these again?)

"Buff the armor (I assume defense)" is unnecessary and making them give as much as +12 flat damage is going ridiculously overboard with buffs.

Oh boy the most broken armor pre-hardmode there are a lot of ways to nerf it, but the way I prefer is to reduce its armor. The set bonus is insane and could probably be reduced to, it would still be a very powerful set.

I'd just lock Meteor spawns to Post-EoW/BoC. It's really not that strong starting from that part of the game.

Shadow Armor:

Could stand a small buff. As of now this armor is far worst then crimson and becomes out classed by molten very fast for melee players. I don't have to much experience with shadow, but at the least it could stand a 2% crit chance per piece.

Fully agree, it will make this more useful for all classes in general.

Necro Armor:

This is the last armor set on this list and it needs a bit of a buff to put it above crimson for rangers. Move the damage from 5% a piece to 7% is my suggestion for this set.

How about instead of giving big buffs to an already good armor for a class with very good weapons, we don't. You already gave a fair nerf to Crimson armor making this even less necessary.

Besides the first one which I greatly agree with, none of this is necessary. They are strong enough defense wise and Gold/Platinum can already allow you to tank extremely well at this stage in the game (what exactly outclasses these again?)

"Buff the armor (I assume defense)" is unnecessary and making them give as much as +12 flat damage is going ridiculously overboard with buffs.
I suppose you have a good point. Still i feel like its a total waste of time mining for them do to how easy it is to get meteor, jungle and molten.

I'd just lock Meteor spawns to Post-EoW/BoC. It's really not that strong starting from that part of the game.

That would make I be competing with jungle armor. But I suppose there are very different types of armor so why not.

How about instead of giving big buffs to an already good armor for a class with very good weapons, we don't. You already gave a fair nerf to Crimson armor making this even less necessary.

Thinking about again this would make it quite overpowered I agree with that.

Also, I agree with the ore armor stuff.
I made the silly mistake of crafting Lead armor in one of my earlier playthroughs. I cry everytime

Great ideas. I think a reasonable change for shadow and crimson armor would be that shadow can boost melee speed and critical chance, while the crimson just boost raw melee damage.
And as for the Necro armor, I think it already has got great damage (once you remove the crimson damage buffs), it does lack a little in defense tho, a buff of 1 of each piece would be nice.
The jungle armor will need to be re-visited. I think a buff in damage would be nice enough.

Back
Top Bottom