PC My way of killing the Moon Lord (ranger, no cheese)

Did this work for you?

• Total voters

phoenixwarbird

Terrarian
2015-07-22_00003.jpg

Unreal Vortex Beater
ROD OF DISCORD!!!
Archery, Swiftness, Ironskin, Regeneration, Lifeforce potions, Pumpkin Pie, 1-2 Super Healing Potions
Shroomite Armor (mask)
Chlorophyte Bullets
Menacing: Sniper Scope, Ranger Emblem (or Magic Quiver) , Ankh Shield, Destroyer Emblem, Celestial stone or Shell
Cosmic Car Key

1. Take buffs and spawn Moon Lord
2. Move sideways, strafe up and down
3. Start with the hands, switch directions when you take out one
4. Use Rod of Discord to dodge laser beam-- it will shoot ~7 seconds after the tongue attack, when the eye opens
5. Win

This build is basically a DPS race. You need to take him out in about a minute, otherwise you will die to his DPS. Without the Rod of Discord, you will probably die because of the laser attack. Use Menacing, it's harder with Warding. Take your Healing Potion (preferably Super Healing Potion, even though they are expensive) when you reach ~150 health. If you have time to take more than two, you're doing it wrong. Nurse cheesing is not necessary.

(As of 1.3.0.6, I have not managed to kill the Moon Lord any other pre-endgame way. I have about a 4/5 success rate, the failure is using the Rod of Discord with the debuff active)

Attachments

• 2015-07-22_00004.jpg
    2015-07-22_00004.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,008
Last edited:
This may work in Normal mode.

If you try this in Expert Mode, prepare to have the bejeezus kicked out of you.

Also I'm fairly sure Unreal Phantasm + Holy Arrows is stronger than Vortex Beater, but I haven't the time to test it out.

Also I'm fairly sure Unreal Phantasm + Holy Arrows is stronger than Vortex Beater, but I haven't the time to test it out.

I chose the Vortex Beater so that I could use Chlorophyte bullets. Plus I noticed that the stars weren't hitting anything if I used holy arrows. Personal preference, I guess.

Edit: And yeah, still trying to figure out how to kill Expert Moon Lord.

Last edited:
So you sit there? You have to to get the bonus damage.
I would have another weapon ready when you have to move, try the snow cannon.

edit:
Also, do you need the shield? The bloody knuckles might give you more armor/time.

It takes a couple seconds to turn invisible and get the damage bonus with that armor.
You could sit under a shield.
I always found it easier to move when fighting the Moon lord. I don't like being a sitting duck. Plus it would be kind of hard to hit the eyes.

Does the RoD trick to avoid laser still work?

For sure.

Then your armor is pointless.

Considering Shroomite armor is the best available ranged armor set pre-Moon Lord, I can say it's expected to be using that armor, there isn't any other parallel ranged set to use rather than Shroomite. When compared with other lower tiered ranged sets, Shroomite has the best defense and the highest increase in overall damage, even possessing the "worst" set bonus.

Pre or post Phantasm nerf? I've been hearing that thanks to the nerf Tsunami may actually get better DPS but I didn't have the Phantasm before hand to test it myself.

I haven't tried with shroomite, but it is fairly easy with beetle armor, even in expert mode. I did this yesterday:

Vortex Beater (Chloro ammo)
Beetle Armor
Rod of Discord
CCK
Accessories all Warding (wings that I didn't use, ankh shield, celestial shell, charm of myths and worm scarf) except menacing sniper scope.
Ironskin, regeneration and swiftness potion, pumpkin pie and furniture buffs.

Im just saying you can do way more damage with a snowman cannon or Phantasm. My snowman cannon with Rocket III can reach up to 3.5 k. It's much more efficient than vortex beater. And it also homes

Back
Top Bottom